Thread: The REAL Reason Matchmaking is Getting Worse.

Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 372
    Achievements:
    31 days registered 100 Experience Points

Exclamation The REAL Reason Matchmaking is Getting Worse.

So we all know that the matchmaking in this game is complete shit. And I'm sure you've notice, as I have, that over the past few months it has gotten much worse. Well, I'm here to tell you why.

Matchmaking has gotten even worse simply because it has always been bad.

Smite is LOSING players, and not just because people are busy/travelling for the holidays. It's like losing a LOT of players. HiRez doesn't want you to know this, but their numbers have been tanking in the last few months. This is the reason the game is only getting worse.

People leaving the game (and especially people who were already sick of the shit matches) is making it even harder to match games. I myself stopped playing because HiRez was shitting on my games, came back after almost a month to see the new patch, and promptly got matched with a Rama that went 3-11 in my first game since. I know that if that was not the case, I would have played some more.

I used to be an avid fan of this game with no problem spending my hard earned money on it. God now I can't even stand to look at it for longer than it takes someone to die 11 times in one game (which isn't long in the matches I get).

tl;dr
    Smite is losing players left and right, causing the already terribly matched games to only get worse, which causes more people to leave, and so on, and so on the cycle goes.

HiRez needs to take a hard look inward and realize that they going to lose all of their support if they keep this up.

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 126
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Unfortunately its true. SMITE started losing players due to matchmaking, its still losing players because of matchmaking, and if it will ever die it will be caused by matchmaking.

I really don't understand why they can't focus on matchmaking for a while. Theres really nothing more important than this. I never had similar matchmaking problems in any other game. There are worse and better matchmaking systems, but this game has none.

Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 1 year registered 1000 Experience Points
    Do you have any proof of this? Because if you don't then this is a rant. And if your match making is as bad as you say then your ELO is on a smurf level.

Lord of the Enigs Infamous Enigmatisty's Avatar
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,466
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Repped! First Class 10000 Experience Points Repped! Second Class Full Profile!
    I'm with the Lokilicker here.

This is a baseless claim and just because you get paired with retarded people does not mean a lack of players. What would make more sensible correlation if it was taking more longer than usual to join a match and successfully start a game.

THe problem is that SMite naturally, as a moba, is difficult to assimilate to and understand. HR's tutorial system unfortunately doesn't do a good job of educating new players into following procedures that encourage decent gameplay.
    I'm pretty much trying to reclaim my lost ELO and sticking to a few gods rn. Mostly playing Cern and maybe Daji.

If you ask for balance changes on a god without a reason that can be properly justified, then this is the place to train for persuasion.

Senior Member Honoured
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 398
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 3 months registered 1000 Experience Points
    I'll say that I often hit the 3 minute mark in queue, which typically means I'm going to be paired without someone outside of my teams capabilities. However, this is because I usually play with some friends who are pretty far below my own capabilities. (Not saying I'm exceptional or even good, my friends are just really bad)

Now if I happen to play with one of my better friends, who is more at my level or better than me, matchmaking happens quite a bit faster

Lord of the Enigs Infamous Enigmatisty's Avatar
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,466
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Repped! First Class 10000 Experience Points Repped! Second Class Full Profile!
    The problem is mostly parties. I've been tracking my games especially if we have had someone who played like they were new and guess what? They were new and they were in a party with either a high-level player who had them join the game for referral, or a fellow low-level player.

Parties especially skewer the mm algorithm because you can have 2000~ elo players thrown in with as low as 1300~ ones all for the sake of making a match. We can say that it indeed is because there aren't enough players, but that doesn't specify if we are losing people. It could just mean we are getting a lot of new people and are getting popular as well.
    I'm pretty much trying to reclaim my lost ELO and sticking to a few gods rn. Mostly playing Cern and maybe Daji.

If you ask for balance changes on a god without a reason that can be properly justified, then this is the place to train for persuasion.

Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 295
    Achievements:
    Party Person Tagger Third Class 1 year registered Repped! Third Class 10000 Experience Points
    Matchmaking sucks?

Here I thought playing Divios and his cronies was normal.

Stupid me for solo Qing.

Needless to say, I hopped off Smite a natch or two later due to the terrible matchmaking. Sad because I really wanted to play tonight but getting my ass handed to me against a pre made team of SPL or GM players isn't fun. Not in solo Q.

Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 809
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by S1itz View Post
    Unfortunately its true. SMITE started losing players due to matchmaking, its still losing players because of matchmaking, and if it will ever die it will be caused by matchmaking.

I really don't understand why they can't focus on matchmaking for a while. Theres really nothing more important than this. I never had similar matchmaking problems in any other game. There are worse and better matchmaking systems, but this game has none.
    I have other theory.

Smite players are mostly casuals who playing cause of new skins and gods. Thats started when HR decide to create 32438294 modes and split playerbase that much that creating good matchmaking was already impossible. Now after few years graphics of Smite became outdated and ppl start leaving it for better games. SPL is boring for them and thats because casuals doesnt even playing Conquest.

THe problem is that SMite naturally, as a moba, is difficult to assimilate to and understand. HR's tutorial system unfortunately doesn't do a good job of educating new players into following procedures that encourage decent gameplay.
    I dont think its a problem, ppl can get the best tutorials possible and 90% of them wouldnt even bother to watch it anyway. Its not school so I doubt ppl will be learning how to play X game.
    If Smite had only 1 or 2 modes then learning it would be automatically and everybody would be know everything about Conquest after time.

Now ppl get to Smite then start playing some Arena thing and playing it to the end cause why they should try MAIN mode of the game if they like casual mode?

You can say its fine then if they like it, yes but it makes game more casual, less competitive and nothing makes players to stay in this game other than new skins or gods. If most ppl would be played only Conquest then firstable matchmaking would be much better and secondable ppl wouldnt be leaving that easily because of rank system and good, balanced game.

Good tutorials doesnt change anything, trust me.
    Last edited by ZetoPL; 11-29-2017 at 05:18 AM.
    This feeling when your team is far behind and you have no prospects for late game but for some reason players still doesnt want to surrender - MOBA Cancer.

Super Moderator Godlike RainbowSplat's Avatar
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 2,813
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class Reputation Distributor 25000 Experience Points Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class
    If you wanna rant about something do it in November Rant Thread cuz making 100 MM threads every day wont help and HiRez suddenly wont be able fix the MM just becuz every day people are making MM threads it just trash the Forum with useless threads and HiRez are aware of their MM

Closing
    *Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.*