Thread: Hypnos, God of Sleep

Senior Member Infamous Trubblegum's Avatar
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,238
    Achievements:
    Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class 25000 Experience Points Party Person Veteran

Hypnos, God of Sleep

Mortals associate death with sleep constantly, but that idea is truer than many think, for he who brings mortals to their demise, Thanatos, is the twin brother of Hypnos. Hypnos, child of Night and patron of dreams, gives all respite from the tires of life with peaceful slumber and wonderful dreams, but those who anger him are not so lucky, suffering nightmares and losing that precious resource, sleep. Very late to awaken, Hypnos slowly makes his way onto the battlefield of the gods, tired but still quite ready for conflict.

Hypnos is a somewhat thin man draped in robes, with a pair of limp black wings on his back. He holds a damp branch, dripping with the waters of forgetfulness, and flowing silver hair.

Statistics:
    Class: Guardian
    Health: 540(+85)
    Mana: 200(+35)
    Movement Speed: 355
    Range: 10
    Attack Speed: .9 (+1%)
    Inhand Damage: 35 (+1.3) +20% of your Magical Power
    Protections:
    Physical: 18(+3)
    Magical: 30(+1)

Hp5: 10(+0.5)
    Mp5: 5(+0.5)

Abilities

Passive: Restless
    Hypnos embodies perfect sleep, as well as perfect consciousness. While asleep, Hypnos radiates a soothing aura, slowly healing allies near him. While awake, Hypnos is alert as are his allies, increasing his movement speed as well as theirs.

Sleep healing: 5 Health (+4 every 4 levels) every second
    Awake movement speed: 20 Movement Speed (+1 per level)
    Aura range: 20 units

Ability 1: Font of Absent Thought
    Ability Type: Ground Target
    Radius: 30 Units
    Hypnos summons a pool of water straight from the River Lethe. If used while asleep, Hypnos and his allies will receive slight healing and any abilities cast inside the pool will have slightly lower cooldowns. If used while awake, enemies who step in the pool lose themselves, taking damage slowly while any abilities cast inside the pool have longer cooldowns.
    Hypnos himself does not benefit from the Cooldown Reduction of this ability.

Sleep Healing: 10/20/30/40/50(+10% of your magical power) per second
    Sleep Cooldown Reduction: 10%

Awake damage: 15/30/45/60/75(+15% of your magical power) per second
    Awake Cooldown Increase: 10%

Duration: 5s
    Mana Cost: 40/50/60/70/80
    Cooldown: 15s

Ability 2: Awaken/Slumber
    Ability type: Stance Change
    Passive: Fatigue
    When asleep, enemies near Hypnos have reduced movespeed.
    When awake, enemies near Hypnos have reduced protections.
    Sleep slow: 2/4/6/8/10%
    Awake shred: 2/4/6/8/10 Protections
    Radius: 30 Units

Awaken: Hypnos wakes up, cleansing close allies of stuns and mesmerizes and grants nearby allies resistance to CCs.
    Ability type: Area
    Range: 20 units
    CCR Buff: 18/21/24/27/30%

Slumber: Hypnos falls asleep, knocking out close-by enemies.
    Ability type: Area
    Range: 30 units
    Stun Duration: 1/1.1/1.2/1.3/1.4s

Mana cost: 20/25/30/35/40
    Cooldown: 10s
    This ability refreshes the cooldown on Font of Absent Thought

Ability 3: Deeper Sleep/Sharper Thought
    Ability type: Self buff

Deeper Sleep: Hypnos falls into an even deeper sleep, reducing the damage he takes while lowering his movement speed. In this state, Hypnos regens health at twice the usual rate. This ability is interrupted by Awaken.

Damage Reduction: 25/30/45/50/55%
    Movement speed reduction: 25%

Sharper Thought: Hypnos concentrates, focusing his thoughts, increasing his movement speed and the duration of his next ability effect. The ability also costs reduced mana. The buff ends upon next ability cast.

Increased movement speed: 15%
    Mana cost reduction: 10/20/30/40/50%
    Duration increase: 10/20/30/40/50%
    Mana cost: 40/50/60/70/80
    Cooldown: 15s

Ultimate Ability: Bad Dreams
    Ability type: Ground Target
    Radius: 40
    Hypnos summons the embodiment of nightmares at a ground location, dealing damage and fearing enemies in a radius. If Hypnos is awake when this ability is cast, enemies will deal reduced damage for a short time, if he is asleep they will have lowered movement speed.

Damage: 250/310/380/450/520(+50% of your magical power)

Fear Duration: 1/1.2/1.4/1.6/1.8/2 seconds
    Awake damage reduction: 15/20/25/30/35%
    Sleep slow: 20/25/30/35/40%

Debuff duration: 3s
    Mana Cost: 100
    Cooldown: 110s
    Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.

Member Follower Epibrutemetheos's Avatar
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 343
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Here some feedback for you. It never too good (or bad) for feedback.

P: 20% movement speed early on is pretty ridiculous, and 40% late is a bit nuts. I suggest turning the initial down to 10-15%. There's enough movement speed buff in the 3 already as well as debuff in the 2. I like the overall idea of the whole asleep/awake, defensive/offensive, slow/fast thing, but grandma turning into a literal Nascar is a little outta hand.
    1: I like the cooldown effect, and the damage scaling is good for making up for his lack of overall damage.
    2: I like the CCR effect. Good ability overall.
    3: Solid buffs.
    4: Really nice ult. Could use a bit better scaling. Kinda wished the sleep effect wasn't another slow.
    Overall: Keep in mind all these CC's are gonna have some diminishing returns. He could use just a bit of extra damage somewhere in his kit, say in the Awake part of his 3. Every single ability here has a buff/debuff, and while I like the amount of control he brings, his cooldowns are pretty long and in the end it doesn't do much besides make whatever lane he's in a constant Chaac rainfield. Very cool buff and debuff ideas, but just compare with gods like Artio, Khepri, Kumbha, and Sylvanus. Similarly high control, but all offering a bit more variance in kit operation and a bit more damage.

Even though ^that's a lot of text, I really do like this god. As a guardian/warrior main myself, if he had just a bit more damage and a bit more synergy (combo potential), this would be my go-to god.

GOD CONCEPT & SKIN HUB

If I like you, I will open doors for you, give you two helping hands, and invite you over my threshold.
    If I don't like you, I will snipe you in the face, and then have all my friends come and beat up all of your friends.
    Sincerely, Janus

Senior Member Infamous Trubblegum's Avatar
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,238
    Achievements:
    Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class 25000 Experience Points Party Person Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Epibrutemetheos View Post
    Here some feedback for you. It never too good (or bad) for feedback.

P: 20% movement speed early on is pretty ridiculous, and 40% late is a bit nuts. I suggest turning the initial down to 10-15%. There's enough movement speed buff in the 3 already as well as debuff in the 2. I like the overall idea of the whole asleep/awake, defensive/offensive,
    1: I like the cooldown effect, and the damage scaling is good for making up for his lack of overall damage.
    2: I like the CCR effect. Good ability overall.
    3: Solid buffs.
    4: Really nice ult. Could use a bit better scaling. Kinda wished the sleep effect wasn't another slow.
    Overall: Keep in mind all these CC's are gonna have some diminishing returns. He could use just a bit of extra damage somewhere in his kit, say in the Awake part of his 3. Every single ability here has a buff/debuff, and while I like the amount of control he brings, his cooldowns are pretty long and in the end it doesn't do much besides make whatever lane he's in a constant Chaac rainfield. Very cool buff and debuff ideas, but just compare with gods like Artio, Khepri, Kumbha, and Sylvanus. Similarly high control, but all offering a bit more variance in kit operation and a bit more damage.

Even though ^that's a lot of text, I really do like this god. As a guardian/warrior main myself, if he had just a bit more damage and a bit more synergy (combo potential), this would be my go-to god.
    I think you misunderstand a bit, the movespeed is flat rather than %. If it were % then I would have chosen much different numbers.
    I do appreciate the feedback, though. My intent was to hamper his damage a lot (his 1 does good damage in only one form and his 4 does middling-low damage) in return for giving him some of if not the strongest utility in the game.
    Agreed, his cooldowns are a bit high but I have 0 experience designing gods, and I assumed the sheer amount of bloat I gave him would be well balanced by higher than average cooldowns. My main goal was to create a utility focused god, and balancing such high utility with enough damage to contest with other gods in terms of offense is not my forte.
    Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.

Member Follower Epibrutemetheos's Avatar
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 343
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Trubblegum View Post
    I think you misunderstand a bit, the movespeed is flat rather than %. If it were % then I would have chosen much different numbers.
    I do appreciate the feedback, though. My intent was to hamper his damage a lot (his 1 does good damage in only one form and his 4 does middling-low damage) in return for giving him some of if not the strongest utility in the game.
    Agreed, his cooldowns are a bit high but I have 0 experience designing gods, and I assumed the sheer amount of bloat I gave him would be well balanced by higher than average cooldowns. My main goal was to create a utility focused god, and balancing such high utility with enough damage to contest with other gods in terms of offense is not my forte.
    Ah I see (about the speed). That makes much more sense, looks fine lol. Just not used to seeing non-% in that.
    And the cooldowns aren't actually too bad, especially with the one reset on the 2. After taking a second look at the god and reconsidering the playstyle I had in mind, I'd your goal in trying to make a balanced high-utility god has succeeded. It's definitely one of the best-balanced kits i've seen, and utility-based is really easy to mess up.

GOD CONCEPT & SKIN HUB

If I like you, I will open doors for you, give you two helping hands, and invite you over my threshold.
    If I don't like you, I will snipe you in the face, and then have all my friends come and beat up all of your friends.
    Sincerely, Janus