Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Don't Let Fafnir Pay to be the Best/Protect Net Neutrality

A Tragic Product of Swedish Advertising Demigod SirKeksalot's Avatar
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 687
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Reputation Distributor 1 year registered 25000 Experience Points Repped! First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by RamenFrog View Post
    That right there is a simplified mock-up of what we can expect if NN implodes on itself. That's not even counting having your bandwidth being crushed for no reason or some random app you use costing an extra 5$ (rip ad-blocker).

From a Game Developer's point of view this puts us back in the stone ages of old Atari games where you have zero internet, zero preview and no early access things. I'm not particularly a fan of early access as a whole due to some really bad games but it helped promote it if the game was actually good.

Now you have to pay extra just for ads to be placed around, and that's assuming your customers haven't already paid the extra 5$ for Adblock. Oh and I don't have to remind you of downloading purchased games off of w/e server provider you're using. We'll go back to hard copies, Pvp games will turn into true P2P (you pay for better connection over the opposition) and free information sites like Mayoclinic and Wikipedia get evaporated.
    Don't forget that the type of content a page contains will be grounds for an ISP to bump up the charge if they think it's "questionable." Given how many furries are on here, and my own infamous Prego sauce, I think a lot of us don't like the sound of that.
    I like my women like Awilix likes her enemies: knocked up, and not taking my goddamn speed buff.

Please support my friend business plea and THANK

Muh Concepts

Ocean Princess Prestigious Lyralis's Avatar
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,085
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Repped! Second Class 5000 Experience Points Conversation Starter 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Pizlenut View Post
    Well... our elections are only so often and the sitting administration is under investigation for corruption, probably related to money laundering and tax evasion... which was good enough for Capone. If there turns out to be collusion/conspiracy the rest of them could also be included in a rico trial.

Its very important for them to control information at this point... i'd also like to point out to you that its not an isolated incident within the US and that there seems to be a global effort to nail down the internet and control information.
    How Much I Love Scylla: 9,789
    Level: 117/160
    IGN: Eirá

"For people like us, a life without music is death." - Kaori Miyazono

Senior Member Chosen RonanTheGreat's Avatar
    "I have trodden the path of sanctity, and all that happened was I lost a shoe"
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 197
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Repped! First Class 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyralis View Post
    Yeah, ikr?

What got me was the rico mention and Capone.

Its like people don't know the difference between racketeering and profiteering.
    'Two guys walk into a bar, you'd think the second guy would have ducked'
    YOU ARE OWED NOTHING

Senior Member Honoured RamenFrog's Avatar
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 6
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered Repped! Second Class
    Quote Originally Posted by RonanTheGreat View Post
    Why am I not surprised you get the inherent danger that is presented?

"you must spread..."

Oh.

Guess it reset.
    To be fair, had you asked me this earlier this year I would've been like "Interenet's considered neutral wat."

Only reason I actually looked into it more is because people presented a problem repeatedly in my newsfeed and I decided to get off my butt and do some research on it. I won't say I can't explain every nuance on it but I do know that it'll change a lot of how we do things on the internet if NN goes down the toilet.

Senior Member Chosen RonanTheGreat's Avatar
    "I have trodden the path of sanctity, and all that happened was I lost a shoe"
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 197
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Repped! First Class 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points
    To be fair, had you asked me this earlier this year I would've been like "Interenet's considered neutral wat."

Only reason I actually looked into it more is because people presented a problem repeatedly in my newsfeed and I decided to get off my butt and do some research on it. I won't say I can't explain every nuance on it but I do know that it'll change a lot of how we do things on the internet if NN goes down the toilet.
    But thats my point.

Instead of believing the first line you're told, you look into it with an objective lens. If more took this approach then I doubt this pernicious legislation would get out of the blocks, let alone be at the stage where the House and Senate are mulling over the details, which ostensibly seem to be "NN bad, massive conglomerates who have fingers in far too many pies as it is are good"
    'Two guys walk into a bar, you'd think the second guy would have ducked'
    YOU ARE OWED NOTHING

Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 674
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points Conversation Starter Veteran
    Well lets just hope this ends like SOPA.

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead Carbon124's Avatar
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 193
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points
    Looking for more information on the subject. I have done a small amount of research. My impulse reaction was that this was a bad thing. And it still seems that way (I'm like 65-35 for NN).

I try to play both sides and came across and argument against NN that argued by de-regulating it, it would allow companies to invest in better, more expensive technology. At first, only available to the rich etc. Over time, it was argued it would eventually become available to all. Benefiting everyone eventually, albeit at different points in time.

I'm just looking for more info and a civil conversation.

Member Follower
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 402
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1 year registered 1000 Experience Points
    As a Brit looking at America...

Removing NN will just make the rich companies richer at your expense while killing competition. So what will happen is the big companies (netfix, google, ea, valve, etc) will negotiate a deal with the ISP's that will cost them money, and you will end up footing the extra bill to pay for it. The smaller companies can't do that, or the deal they can get will be much worse because they don't have such a strong negotiating hand so they'll be unable to compete. Hence competition will die.

Tbh the internet in America is already bad enough - there is already nearly no competition so most people have a choice between at most one or two providers. That means they can screw you on prices and give a low quality service. In parts of the world where the internet is seen as a service like water/power and the connection to your house is available for any provider to compete for you get much better quality and much lower prices due to proper competition.

This all stems from your stupid election process that costs billions, which have to be funded by big business, who are going to want their money's worth in dodgy laws. If you just set a fixed small election budget for each party and mandated a set amount of advertising (provided by tv companies at cost) like other parts of the world manage you'd fix half of the problems straight off.
    Last edited by DeathByDribbling; 11-30-2017 at 12:01 PM.

Junior Member Cupidhead Chiagirl's Avatar
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 500 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by RonanTheGreat View Post
    Zav made a thread about this under Serious Discussion, where I made my feelings on this very clear.

No disrespect to any of the more rational Americans out there, but I really wish you lot would hurry the fuck up and realize you guys need serious electoral reform, as a choice of two simply means you end up with A LOT of bought and paid for representatives and regulatory bodies.

Again, no disrespect, but when the rest of the world hears your representatives say they stand for democracy and free market capitalism, we just laugh, as it doesn't take much in the way of investigation to discover that America presenting itself as a paragon of these ideals is frankly the biggest con out there.

Ffs people, your representatives fuck you daily, in the most egregious ways, and you folks just sit there drinking the coolade like its not a glass of piss.
    Most of us Americans know that our election system is a joke and almost nobody in a position of power there actually cares about anyone besides themselves and the millions the can make by doing whatever it is the big businesses want, but the problem is we're dug so deep in this hole that the only people in positions of power that can change it...are the rich who benefit from it, and obviously aren't going to want to switch to bottom up economics because they make so much more from trickle down, which has pretty much never truly benefited the poor and middle classed as promised. We have very little control over who the Democrats or Republicans decide to make there candidate, and unfortunately the majority of Americans seem to be too scared to vote for third parties because "it's throwing their vote away". At present, that's probably true, but if we'd all break out of this "one or the other" sheep mentality then it wouldn't have to be.

The government is so corrupt at this point that honestly we should probably tear it down and start over, but that aint going to happen any time soon because people like to be sheep apparently. You have no idea how many people I've seen who either always vote democrat or always vote republican without actually looking at what the candidates actually stand for, and often times they are against the very thing the people voting them support. When asked why they are voting for party A when party B seems to align with more of there values, there answer is usually something like "I've always voted X party, and my family has always voted X party, and I'm always going to vote X party regardless of what they stand for". Like how can you be that brainwashed?

Sorry for the rant.
    In game name is Solstice; if somebody could change my forum name to match, that would be great.

Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 819
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points Veteran

That right there is a simplified mock-up of what we can expect if NN implodes on itself. That's not even counting having your bandwidth being crushed for no reason or some random app you use costing an extra 5$ (rip ad-blocker).

From a Game Developer's point of view this puts us back in the stone ages of old Atari games where you have zero internet, zero preview and no early access things. I'm not particularly a fan of early access as a whole due to some really bad games but it helped promote it if the game was actually good.

Now you have to pay extra just for ads to be placed around, and that's assuming your customers haven't already paid the extra 5$ for Adblock. Oh and I don't have to remind you of downloading purchased games off of w/e server provider you're using. We'll go back to hard copies, Pvp games will turn into true P2P (you pay for better connection over the opposition) and free information sites like Mayoclinic and Wikipedia get evaporated.
    Thats just sick, you American folks should protest on the street until they cancel this bullsht.

Internet is one of the very few source of informations which cant be fully controlled by few "important ppl" and this FCC will destroy it.
    You all will be brainwashing every day by TV stations, newspapers or "dedicated" websites if you dont do it.

Best luck to you guys against this scandal.
    This feeling when your team is far behind and you have no prospects for late game but for some reason players still doesnt want to surrender - MOBA Cancer.