Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Don't Let Fafnir Pay to be the Best/Protect Net Neutrality

Otaku Mod Infamous MiyobiKumagawa's Avatar
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 1,450
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class 25000 Experience Points Arm of the Law! Discussion Ender Party Person
    Awards:
    Most Popular

Don't Let Fafnir Pay to be the Best/Protect Net Neutrality

https://www.reddit.com/r/Smite/comme...t_support_net/

As you all know. The US is about to go a large substantial change that would change the face of internet for the players of Smite. The FCC is attempting to remove net neutrality which governs fair and equal treatment for all services and net usage. If the FCC removes net neutrality then the internet will become regulated where companies would be allowed to block your favorite websites, throttle the sites you use, and increase premiums of net usage in packages.

Those that live in the US please contact the FCC and protect your right for a free and open net.

Make sure your support does not lag on you today.

Pyrokid242 18 points 9 hours ago
    Even The_Donald realizes this is a problem. Here's a comment from one of their users:

Without Net Neutrality, monopolies like Comcast and AT&T will have more ability to reduce competition and user choice in their media. That also means companies they own, like Time Warner's CNN will gain advantage. Want to stop CNN? Want to keep your cord cutting services without paying ridiculous bandwidth cap fees? Conservatives NEED Net Neutrality.

AT&T is already pulling bullshit. Want unlimited data? You HAVE to buy their TV service too. You think it will get BETTER without Net Neutrality?

Comcast has forced data caps with a $50 fucking dollar fee for unlimited data. Net neutrality being enforced will enable lawsuits to stop these practices. Removing net neutrality will send the completely wrong message.

Think you're safe here on T_D? They will slow all Conservative media bandwidth until it is practically unusable. If you push against Net Neutrality you are pushing against your own movement.

They can slow VPN traffic too. Pretty fucking horrifying what will happen if Net Neutrality is gone.

2005 Madison River communications blocked VOIP services. The FCC put a stop to that.

2005 Comcast denied access to p2p services without notifying customers.

2007 AT&T blocked Skype and other VOIP's because they didn't like the competition for their cellphone services.

2011 MetroPCS tried to block all streaming except YouTube. They actually sued the FCC over this.

2011 AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon blocked access to tethering apps on the android marketplace, with Google's help.

2011 AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon blocked access to Google Wallet because it competed with their own shitty payment apps.

2012 Verizon demanded google to block tethering apps on android because it let owners avoid the $20 tethering fee. This was despite guaranteeing they wouldn't do it as part of a winning bid on a airwaves auction. They were fines 1.25 million over this.

2012 AT&T tried to block access to FaceTime unless customers paid more money.

2013 Verizon stated that the only thing stopping them from favoring some content providers over other providers were the Net Neutrality rules in place.

2016 Comcast instituted a mandatory data cap on all services with a $50 fee to get unlimited data. This allowed them to slow the bleeding of cord cutters, trapping them with fees from trying services like Sling or DirecTV Now.

2017 Time Warner Cable refused to upgrade their lines in order to get more money out of Riot Games (creators of League of Legends) and Netflix.

ISP's already have proven that without rules in place, they will behave in a way that can dictate how you use your internet connection.
    Last edited by MiyobiKumagawa; 11-22-2017 at 08:54 PM.
    *Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.*

A Tragic Product of Swedish Advertising Demigod SirKeksalot's Avatar
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 687
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Reputation Distributor 1 year registered 25000 Experience Points Repped! First Class
    Just wanna throw this out there--ISP's can also potentially control the services for the games you play. That means in order to play games like this, you might have to pay for it. Smite is F2P. Let's keep it that way.
    I like my women like Awilix likes her enemies: knocked up, and not taking my goddamn speed buff.

Please support my friend business plea and THANK

Muh Concepts

Senior Member Chosen RonanTheGreat's Avatar
    "I have trodden the path of sanctity, and all that happened was I lost a shoe"
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 197
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Repped! First Class 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points
    Zav made a thread about this under Serious Discussion, where I made my feelings on this very clear.

No disrespect to any of the more rational Americans out there, but I really wish you lot would hurry the fuck up and realize you guys need serious electoral reform, as a choice of two simply means you end up with A LOT of bought and paid for representatives and regulatory bodies.

Again, no disrespect, but when the rest of the world hears your representatives say they stand for democracy and free market capitalism, we just laugh, as it doesn't take much in the way of investigation to discover that America presenting itself as a paragon of these ideals is frankly the biggest con out there.

Ffs people, your representatives fuck you daily, in the most egregious ways, and you folks just sit there drinking the coolade like its not a glass of piss.
    'Two guys walk into a bar, you'd think the second guy would have ducked'
    YOU ARE OWED NOTHING

Senior Member Honoured
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by RonanTheGreat View Post
    Ffs people, your representatives fuck you daily, in the most egregious ways, and you folks just sit there drinking the coolade like its not a glass of piss.
    Well... our elections are only so often and the sitting administration is under investigation for corruption, probably related to money laundering and tax evasion... which was good enough for Capone. If there turns out to be collusion/conspiracy the rest of them could also be included in a rico trial.

Its very important for them to control information at this point... i'd also like to point out to you that its not an isolated incident within the US and that there seems to be a global effort to nail down the internet and control information.

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pizlenut View Post
    Well... our elections are only so often and the sitting administration is under investigation for corruption, probably related to money laundering and tax evasion... which was good enough for Capone. If there turns out to be collusion/conspiracy the rest of them could also be included in a rico trial.

Its very important for them to control information at this point... i'd also like to point out to you that its not an isolated incident within the US and that there seems to be a global effort to nail down the internet and control information.
    The amount of naivety here is astounding.

Ask yourself this, WHY do they need to control information? I mean, if your so virtuous and all for freedom, then what exactly are you afraid of? Fake news? The shit that is debunked by a bit of collaborative evidence gathering? You do understand the amount of bullshit you get force fed daily will only grow in scale? Not to mention the plainly obvious of stifling competition through denial of service?

And no, the only parts of the rest of the world that approach the internet in the same way the FCC are proposing happen to be countries like Russia and China, so well done.
    YOU ARE OWED NOTHING

A Tragic Product of Swedish Advertising Demigod SirKeksalot's Avatar
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 687
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Reputation Distributor 1 year registered 25000 Experience Points Repped! First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Pizlenut View Post
    Are you actually saying we need to get rid of net neutrality? That our personal freedoms should die under the false pretense that it'll actually help us? Because if so, fuck you. We NEED net neutrality. Otherwise, we're all corporate America's collective bitch.
    I like my women like Awilix likes her enemies: knocked up, and not taking my goddamn speed buff.

Please support my friend business plea and THANK

Muh Concepts

Sitting in my corner waiting for Zhong Kui to get a skin
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 192
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Another reason I hate living here, people actually support this bullshit. There are people such as myself who can barely pay our bills and they want to pass these laws so that we would have to pay more to do what we want on the internet. Companies already pull bs such as having people pay for shit they don't even want for some other deal on something they do want. If NN goes, they can pull more shit. I don't want some company blocking my favorite websites, especially if I had to pay them more for my favorite things they would allow me access to.

Seriously, how people can support this push for destroying NN is just beyond me
    What Doesn't Kill Me... Better Start Running

Buff Artio

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by ZodiacZer0 View Post
    Another reason I hate living here, people actually support this bullshit. There are people such as myself who can barely pay our bills and they want to pass these laws so that we would have to pay more to do what we want on the internet. Companies already pull bs such as having people pay for shit they don't even want for some other deal on something they do want. If NN goes, they can pull more shit. I don't want some company blocking my favorite websites, especially if I had to pay them more for my favorite things they would allow me access to.

Seriously, how people can support this push for destroying NN is just beyond me
    Your clarity of perception is truly welcome.

I'm not American. I don't live in America. Been there quite a lot, and honestly I dunno wtf happened to a lot of Americans, in that when it comes to the crunch, the majority I met would never accept this as a given.

I mean, surely your education cannot be at the stage where a simple lateral thought process gets chucked out the window because you were "told" this is good idea. How ANYONE could see this as a boon is beyond any rational persons thinking.

Honestly, just look up the various subsidiaries of your big 3 ISP's. Look at their reach. You mean to tell me that in a country well known for its very public stance on liberty and freedom, that the fuckers towing these boats have your interests at heart?

Theres naivety, then theres criminally insane.

If you believe this shit being presented to you is some sort of panacea, congratulations, far as I'm concerned you fall under the latter category.
    YOU ARE OWED NOTHING

Senior Member Honoured RamenFrog's Avatar
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 6
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered Repped! Second Class

That right there is a simplified mock-up of what we can expect if NN implodes on itself. That's not even counting having your bandwidth being crushed for no reason or some random app you use costing an extra 5$ (rip ad-blocker).

From a Game Developer's point of view this puts us back in the stone ages of old Atari games where you have zero internet, zero preview and no early access things. I'm not particularly a fan of early access as a whole due to some really bad games but it helped promote it if the game was actually good.

Now you have to pay extra just for ads to be placed around, and that's assuming your customers haven't already paid the extra 5$ for Adblock. Oh and I don't have to remind you of downloading purchased games off of w/e server provider you're using. We'll go back to hard copies, Pvp games will turn into true P2P (you pay for better connection over the opposition) and free information sites like Mayoclinic and Wikipedia get evaporated.

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by RamenFrog View Post

That right there is a simplified mock-up of what we can expect if NN implodes on itself. That's not even counting having your bandwidth being crushed for no reason or some random app you use costing an extra 5$ (rip ad-blocker).

From a Game Developer's point of view this puts us back in the stone ages of old Atari games where you have zero internet, zero preview and no early access things. I'm not particularly a fan of early access as a whole due to some really bad games but it helped promote it if the game was actually good.

Now you have to pay extra just for ads to be placed around, and that's assuming your customers haven't already paid the extra 5$ for Adblock. Oh and I don't have to remind you of downloading purchased games off of w/e server provider you're using. We'll go back to hard copies, Pvp games will turn into true P2P (you pay for better connection over the opposition) and free information sites like Mayoclinic and Wikipedia get evaporated.
    Why am I not surprised you get the inherent danger that is presented?

"you must spread..."

Oh.

Guess it reset.
    YOU ARE OWED NOTHING