Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Belgium says loot boxes are deemed as gambling

Senior Member Prestigious GongsunYiru's Avatar
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,562
    Achievements:
    Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class Reputation Distributor Repped! Third Class Discussion Ender
    Awards:
    Guru

Belgium says loot boxes are deemed as gambling

It was just reported that Belgium will try to ban these practices in the European Union. It is certainly relevant to purchases in SMITE. What do you think of this and the possible consequences of it?

A translation of the Belgian article from VTM News as cited in PC Gamer:

The Minister of Justice wants to ban in-game purchases, if you don't know exactly what it will contain. "Combining gambling and gaming, especially at a young age, is dangerous for the mental health of the child."

The commotion started last week with the new game Star Wars: Battlefront. In the the game you could buy so-called "loot crates", virtual boxes which could contain advantages for the game. You don't know however what it contains beforehand.

"The combination of money and addiction is gambling", ruled the gambling committee. VTM News brought the news and a few days later EA withdrew the function from the game, partially because Disney complained, which has the rights to the Star Wars merchandise.

Geens now wants to prevent that these kinds of functions will be in any games going forward. "But that takes time, because we have to go to Europe. We will definitely try to ban it."

Ocean Princess Prestigious Lyralis's Avatar
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,085
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Repped! Second Class 5000 Experience Points Conversation Starter 1 year registered
    Rip.

So either Hirez will create a specific Smite EU? Or Smite Belgium?

Or remove chests entirely?
    How Much I Love Scylla: 9,789
    Level: 117/160
    IGN: Eirá

"For people like us, a life without music is death." - Kaori Miyazono

Super Moderator Godlike RainbowSplat's Avatar
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,850
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class Reputation Distributor 25000 Experience Points Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class
    Well im gonna be honest here i like Smite but the chest system IMO is stupid theres so many skins locked behind chests like lets say Ice Agni one i have 1/15 items in there and each chest costs 400 gems so in worst case scenario i would need to pay 5600 gems also lets not mention the Sol one in 450+ item chest wich cost 200 gems so if chests would get banned in HiRez then they would need to make more skins direct purchase avaible and i dont see anything bad in there
    *Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.*

Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 414
    Achievements:
    3 months registered 500 Experience Points
    I'm glad they ruled that way. Loot boxes are stupid. My attitude towards this game would be much better if I could just buy the skins/items we want and priced them accordingly. Instead they do this shady practices of putting almost everything in roulettes or this super expensive bundles when we only want one thing out of that bundle.

I honestly don't know why any gamer would defend this crap and such practices. The excuses that "devs need to be payed..." is stupid here when we are not asking for them to make everything free... only to make it so we can buy what we want without having to jump hoops. This goes for other games as well.

I'm not sure if Hi-Rez will remove the ridiculous chests since it doesn't affect the U.S. and the U.S. has a large player base but I wish they do and I wish they get their act together and turn this into a decent game that the game can be.

Ocean Princess Prestigious Lyralis's Avatar
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,085
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Repped! Second Class 5000 Experience Points Conversation Starter 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by RainbowSplat View Post
    Well im gonna be honest here i like Smite but the chest system IMO is stupid theres so many skins locked behind chests like lets say Ice Agni one i have 1/15 items in there and each chest costs 400 gems so in worst case scenario i would need to pay 5600 gems also lets not mention the Sol one in 450+ item chest wich cost 200 gems so if chests would get banned in HiRez then they would need to make more skins direct purchase avaible and i dont see anything bad in there
    Well...Hirez could make direct purchase skins extremely expensive.

Like...idk.

If Snow Bae had been direct purchase and costed 5k gems...I'd still have bought it. In a heartbeat. So...
    How Much I Love Scylla: 9,789
    Level: 117/160
    IGN: Eirá

"For people like us, a life without music is death." - Kaori Miyazono

Senior Member Prestigious zecleria's Avatar
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 198
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points Repped! First Class Reputation Distributor
    inb4 hirez goes bankrupt.
    You may think all gods have huge amounts of courage, but only xbalanque has the balls to use them as weapons.

0.3 instead of 30% again.
    dont skip school kids.
    How to make arguments on forum:if you cant win an argument, call the other side trolls. Always works

Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 622
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered Tagger Third Class
    "Geens, according to the report, wants to ban in-game purchases outright (correction: if you don't know exactly what you're purchasing)" - http://http://www.pcgamer.com/belgiu...ned-in-europe/

This looks troubling, since you can actually see what you can buy from most of the chests.

Now I'm not defending Hi-Rez and I really would love to look forward to direct purchased skins like we had when Smite was launched.

Senior Member Infamous PapaRodin's Avatar
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 1,105
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Repped! First Class Party Person Tagger Third Class Full Profile!
    Well, I see this mixed.

For one, it would be a great riddance because I hate RNG and because HiRez really has been a bit overindulgend with these chests.
    On the other hand, even if this goes through, Chests won't be gone entirely. Purchasable ones will though. I can see things like Odyssey Chests or Enigma Chests sticking around as a means of added bonus for events like the odyssey or special weekends, which is neat.

Last point that needs to be mentioned is that there are a lot of chests that contain (mostly) things worth more than the money you spend on.

Taking the chest that contains the Aphro Kadabra skin or whats it called, it costs 200 gems and only contains skins that are 400 - 600 gems in price so even though it is a gamble, it is one where you almost always win out in some way or form.

It is a touchy subject and points can be made for both sides.
    Papa Rodins Words of Wisdom
    An Index Page for threads created by me for you.

Last Update: Let's fix this God: Nu Wa!

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 126
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaRodin View Post
    Taking the chest that contains the Aphro Kadabra skin or whats it called, it costs 200 gems and only contains skins that are 400 - 600 gems in price so even though it is a gamble, it is one where you almost always win out in some way or form.
    Nope, 50% of its content are voice packs, which are 200 gems, so you are buying like 20 voice packs (they are always the first items you get from these chests) you don't need for normal price.

Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 2,962
    Achievements:
    Veteran Repped! First Class Reputation Distributor Party Person Discussion Ender
    They might be forced to release direct purchase content for once. That or release things for bundles, buy even then I'd rather pay like 900 for three skins than drop 3000 in a chest of filler.