1000 Experience Points Veteran
    subjective

i like her, now she needs hel's elf skin cus its super lewd

Forum Troll Honoured TheGodlyFist's Avatar
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 697
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Headbiter View Post
    Discordia's probably the biggest mis-design since the decision to make Neith this bubbly animu-twerp who does the Carameldansen.

Yes, there's the whole ordeal with her being quite literally a Pixie and from her appearance to her portrait, her hairdo and colour scheme and I still don't get who made the connection of "Goddess of strife, founder of nations and manipulator of gods" to "OMG I'm so kawaiiii desu neee >.<" including that twitchy recall animation.

But it goes beyond that. For instance that stuff with the apple. Why? The apple was a tool to cause strife between gods and even then it was less about the apple and more about what was written on it that caused the conflict. And now she constantly runs around with a golden apple at all times and her ultimate is a giant, bouncing golden apple that explodes? What? And it makes the gods affected spam emotes, because....reasons?

This runs opposed to pretty much the entire Hi-Rez design practice so far. Usually I'm amazed to find even tiny details that furthermore emphasise a god's background or personality, whether it's in their armour, their appearance, their idle animations, etc. They reflect several personality aspects of the god in question.

But Discordia is just some apple-obsessed airhead. She's like Al Bundy, only with her "four touchdowns" being a bloody apple and even there she fails to grasp that it wasn't the apple but the engraved words that made it special.

And just as with Neith, it runs contrary to everything else we know about her from the game (not going to include historical/mythological texts here for obvious reasons). If you read her lore, this is a god with great vision and insight, someone who triggers world-shattering effects without ever being directly involved, someone who has a deep understanding of the gods and their relationships to each other, someone who had the vision to see the potential in a single man to found a nation with a great future.....

...and in the game she complains about not being invited to a party and fondles some silly apple.

She's not gonna be changed, I'm aware of that, and thankfully I don't care about Discordia much myself but I do hope it's just a slipup in the otherwise really solid character design in Smite.
    It stays in line with the overall design philosophy of Smite. They start with the gods lore as a base and then whatever the hell they want with it. As much as I don't like her design it does fit Smite's style, and it is HiRez's decision on how they make their characters. But she definitely could have had more of her lore incorporated into her design.

Member Follower
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 506
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points Veteran
    Having just played a load of arena games and every one has 2 discordia's I'm really really starting to hate the cheesy sound effects. They are just so grating after a while. Can we mute a god please HiRez?

Look behind you... no the other way... c'mon almost there! No, what are you doing? Gods above..
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 611
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    I mean... who cares? If you enjoy her kit play her. If you don't... don't. They aren't going to change her design at this stage

Ocean Princess Prestigious Lyralis's Avatar
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 436
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Conversation Starter 1 year registered Repped! Third Class 10000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathByDribbling View Post
    Having just played a load of arena games and every one has 2 discordia's I'm really really starting to hate the cheesy sound effects. They are just so grating after a while. Can we mute a god please HiRez?
    She's causing strife by having annoying sound effects. It's lore accurate.
    What do I put here now?

Member Follower
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 506
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyralis View Post
    She's causing strife by having annoying sound effects. It's lore accurate.
    I will need to start keeping an apple by my keyboard and when she's really annoying me hit myself on the head with it.
    Last edited by DeathByDribbling; 11-09-2017 at 10:58 AM.

Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 266
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Veteran 5000 Experience Points
    This Discordia Design is pretty much a carricature of what it shouldve been. I would propose a remodell for her even if i am fully aware it won't happen. They could even bring back the shitty design as a t3 skin called "Discardia". That would be awesome. I'd be ready to even preorder that skin if this means we can have a decent default skin on her. And her ability effects look like they have been ripped off some old arcade game for pre-schoolers. If this was LoL or Paladins or hmmm maybe even WoW it would be fine but not in SMITE. I had higher expectation for this kind of game which until now was more or less serious about the design of default god skins. There were some other sins in the past: Scylla, Neith, Jing Wei, Erlang Shen maybe... but not even one of them was as bad as this one.

Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 689
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1 year registered 1000 Experience Points
    It's really the apple-obsession I don't get. The kind of fruit she picked is probably the least relevant aspect of her story. It's Bruce Lee's finger pointing at the moon all over again.

Ocean Princess Prestigious Lyralis's Avatar
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 436
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Conversation Starter 1 year registered Repped! Third Class 10000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Headbiter View Post
    It's really the apple-obsession I don't get. The kind of fruit she picked is probably the least relevant aspect of her story. It's Bruce Lee's finger pointing at the moon all over again.
    The Greeks liked apples. I think they symbolized wealth, power, and beauty or something.

Eris and her apple isn't the only story with them, there's also the Garden of Hesperides where the golden apples grow, and was one of Hercules's 12 tasks, as well as the 3 golden apples Aphrodite gave to Hippomenes to win against Atalanta.
    What do I put here now?

Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 689
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1 year registered 1000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyralis View Post
    The Greeks liked apples. I think they symbolized wealth, power, and beauty or something.

Eris and her apple isn't the only story with them, there's also the Garden of Hesperides where the golden apples grow, and was one of Hercules's 12 tasks, as well as the 3 golden apples Aphrodite gave to Hippomenes to win against Atalanta.
    Erm..yes...you are correct.

Don't know how that explains Discordia's apple obsession to the point that she always has to carry around an apple, especially since Smite's version of her lore heavily emphasizes her re-invention as a Roman goddess but thanks for the culture lesson, I guess?