Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Discordia's Design.

Junior Member Cupidhead Crimson7Reaper's Avatar
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 266
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points 31 days registered

Discordia's Design.

Recently the new goddess Discordia was revealed and she looks... so out of place? Her colors are too bright for a god that is supposedly "chaotic". Her hair looks fine but why is it purple? Although, I really love her wings, but the color scheme makes her look like an anime/cartoon character, in fact when I look at her, the first thing that pops into my mind is Tinkerbell or those fairies from Winx Club. I think a simple solution is to make the purple color on her dress darker (not the wings, they look cool) ,change her first ability's design (it looks like something you would see in cartoons) and change her hair color to something more realistic. Right now she feels like a character that belongs in Paladins or LoL simply because of how goofy her color scheme and her first ability is.
    Also can someone explain to me what are those star symbols on her splash art and her 1?

Senior Member Chosen GameVeteranAzure's Avatar
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 635
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points 1 year registered Repped! Third Class Full Profile!
    they probably used purple because so many other Gods have either much darker shades or brighter colors.

they want the Gods to stand out from each other as best as possible and purple is a slightly under used color among their skins.

try to remember they have never done a God that was directly connected to such a powerful force before.

Chaos and Order are some of the oldest opposing forces in any known universe (if not the oldest depending on what lore you look at)
    Yeah...Right...Sure...And I'm The King of England!
    If it works in your favor, don't question it.
    Sacrifices had to be made.
    He who knows nothing, doubts nothing.
    Xbox GT: AlchemistAzure
    Smite IGN: MordridtheBlack

Senior Member Chosen RockerBaby's Avatar
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 557
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered Full Profile!
    I have to agree a bit with the OP but keep in mind she will get more skins over time, we are bound to see some darker, deathly themes on her as time goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by GameVeteranAzure View Post

Chaos and Order are some of the oldest opposing forces in any known universe (if not the oldest depending on what lore you look at)
    Even scientifically it is so.
    Rocking the boat

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points
    she looks like a fucking winx fairy
    it's disgusting, bland, overused, she looks like part of a skin that should only be for 300 gems.
    discordia was a FAT failure design, and whoever that designed her should get fired.

Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 313
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Veteran 1000 Experience Points
    I agree.
    The goddess is supposed to enjoy strife not mischief. She does not perform pranks, she incites wars and enjoys both starting them and taking part in them. She is supposed to have messy hair with a bloody headband, and torn up battle-garments. I quite like the feel of using her kit, but she looks like a cartoon character and so does her abilities, which is very upsetting.

With the remodellings that have been done over the years (fx. Hun Batz (Back then he was called Sun Wukong ofc), Bacchus, hercules, Ymir, Odin, Hel, Loki) there are now only very few gods that in their original skin look completely dumb and not at all god-like. Examples of this Would be Zhong Kui or Ne Zha who both desperately need a remodel in order to fit the overall theme. In the case of Ne Zha, this could of course be fixed by making "Fire-lord" his standard skin. With that said, I was really hoping we were moving in a certain direction with regards to god-design, but after this newest release I'm kind of losing hope.

-Aze

Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,004
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points Veteran
    She is "thick"(or smth like that) and thats the most important for 90% of playerbase, its sad but thats how world works.
    For me she is goddess of fairies if anything.

Examples of this Would be Zhong Kui or Ne Zha
    I like Zhong design tho, Ne Zha however is trap and thats why using skin is the only way to play him.
    This feeling when your team is far behind and you have no prospects for late game but for some reason players still doesnt want to surrender - MOBA Cancer.

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 487
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1 year registered 1000 Experience Points
    It's not just the look, it's the sound of discordia. It's very 8 bit - she just makes me think of super mario. None of it suggests awesome powerful god in epic battle.

Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,004
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points Veteran
    None of it suggests awesome powerful god in epic battle.
    Her kit make her powerful enough so np
    This feeling when your team is far behind and you have no prospects for late game but for some reason players still doesnt want to surrender - MOBA Cancer.

Senior Member Chosen RockerBaby's Avatar
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 557
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered Full Profile!
    Quote Originally Posted by Azecpt View Post
    I agree.
    The goddess is supposed to enjoy strife not mischief. She does not perform pranks, she incites wars and enjoys both starting them and taking part in them.
    So her skin made you make this thread, seems something went right then.
    Rocking the boat

Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 679
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1 year registered 1000 Experience Points
    Discordia's probably the biggest mis-design since the decision to make Neith this bubbly animu-twerp who does the Carameldansen.

Yes, there's the whole ordeal with her being quite literally a Pixie and from her appearance to her portrait, her hairdo and colour scheme and I still don't get who made the connection of "Goddess of strife, founder of nations and manipulator of gods" to "OMG I'm so kawaiiii desu neee >.<" including that twitchy recall animation.

But it goes beyond that. For instance that stuff with the apple. Why? The apple was a tool to cause strife between gods and even then it was less about the apple and more about what was written on it that caused the conflict. And now she constantly runs around with a golden apple at all times and her ultimate is a giant, bouncing golden apple that explodes? What? And it makes the gods affected spam emotes, because....reasons?

This runs opposed to pretty much the entire Hi-Rez design practice so far. Usually I'm amazed to find even tiny details that furthermore emphasise a god's background or personality, whether it's in their armour, their appearance, their idle animations, etc. They reflect several personality aspects of the god in question.

But Discordia is just some apple-obsessed airhead. She's like Al Bundy, only with her "four touchdowns" being a bloody apple and even there she fails to grasp that it wasn't the apple but the engraved words that made it special.

And just as with Neith, it runs contrary to everything else we know about her from the game (not going to include historical/mythological texts here for obvious reasons). If you read her lore, this is a god with great vision and insight, someone who triggers world-shattering effects without ever being directly involved, someone who has a deep understanding of the gods and their relationships to each other, someone who had the vision to see the potential in a single man to found a nation with a great future.....

...and in the game she complains about not being invited to a party and fondles some silly apple.

She's not gonna be changed, I'm aware of that, and thankfully I don't care about Discordia much myself but I do hope it's just a slipup in the otherwise really solid character design in Smite.