Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Thoth is broken

Lord of the Enigs Infamous Enigmatisty's Avatar
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 633
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Repped! First Class 10000 Experience Points Repped! Second Class Full Profile!
    Thoth is perfectly fine after they nerfed his ult to no longer oneshot. He's supposed to be strong in one regard, especially when his second poke is only available after he spends his escape.
    Last edited by Enigmatisty; 11-18-2017 at 05:26 PM.
    Actually back to Smite but my love for the forums isn't really the same anymore. May most likely not post god concepts again.

Since forums are dying, feel free to join the official smite forum discord where most retired members chill.

New Member Cupidhead Hammygoodness's Avatar
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 556
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Veteran
    This god is broken. It's just a really stupid design. You made a mage with no weaknesses, and has more range on standard abilities than any other god in the game. Super safe poke, with an escape if he gets focused. CC with incredible range... on a mage. That shit goes through walls and minions, too. Think about that. Plus it does good damage. All his shots go through walls, have good damage, have unprecedented range, his ult has secure potential, his passive is solid.

No weaknesses, super safe. Is it any wonder he's picked and banned in almost every game? Try playing against him in Assault. It's a nightmare. For his range, he shouldn't have that damage. For his damage, he shouldn't have that cc. Take something away from him. Slow the projectile on his stun, so maybe a character who's half the map away might actually be able to juke it. Or make it stopped by minions... or walls.

Imagine if HiRez designed a hunter who's auto attacks outranged all other hunters. That's essentially what we're looking at here. If you want to play around with gods that break open the standard style of play, fine, but don't just take an equivalent mage and then give them some sort of unheard of bonus without giving them a weakness. There are many gods that can be frustrating to play against, but Thoth is the worst, by far.
    Ever Winter. Never Christmas.

Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 416
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points Veteran
    Thoth is on the stronger side of the cast, but it takes somewhat skill to pull it off correctly. (yes, thoth is more than just 3, 1) I found myself dying often simply because I had missed my stun or the timing was wrong.

But play your cards right and he's very rewarding.

Senior Member Chosen RockerBaby's Avatar
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 929
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points Veteran
    The three things with thoth that for me is a deal breaker and makes him OP is:

1. His stun projectile is really fast which makes it almost impossible to miss. Most abilities in smite can be juked but thoth stun is incredibly hard to juke. Compare to isis stun, or neith 1 or thanna 1, I often miss these abilities but I almost never miss thoth 2. Add to this fact that you can window, wait a bit, jump, new window and stun and his initiation range is very long and also very reliable.

2. He is heavily reliant on his windows to function but placing a window in a bad spot is not as punishing as it should be because its cd is so low.

3. The window adds really good objective clear for team, when you look at all the other strong points of thoth it seems really excessive to give him bonus dmg to ranged attacks as well. Together with an adc he burns objectives so fast.

I'm not saying all of these need to be addressed if they were he probably fall off to much. But all together along with one of best ults in game and strong poke, good aoe making good use of gem of iso etc just makes him a tad bit to strong.

Someone compared to scylla but one major difference is that thoth can initiate through walls, his entire kit goes through walls (except his jump). This means scylla needs to commit more to initiate in conq where areas are small, sure she can get out after but its still risky for her. Thoth can initiate in conq more risk free, its still a risk yes vs jumpers and people with blink. Also Scyllas stun projectile speed is slower and can more easily be juked then thoths. Also Scyllas ult is all in once you press it, you gotta land it. But thoth can direct the play field just by charging ult. Syre scylla is immune so u cant stop her but thoth range is longer. All together I think thoths ult is better but that might be cause Im bad with scylla.

When I play thoth in arena its like I have total control of the battle field. I can jump to left or right flank instantly and help out and if someone combos I can toss ult into the mix real quick and deal nice dmg. The main way to adress this is add more cd to his windows I think. Changing projectile speed now seems a big no as it will just make playing him for those that are used to him feel like shit. Also I think remove the dmg bonus on ranged attack on windows. There are some picks that are good vs thoth in arena that can punish him but with a well rounded team around him its still very hard to do so. And yes I know its not all about arena but the only thing not translating as well into conq is that he can't jump through walls like some others can, rest of his kit still goes through walls in conq and makes him a hassle to deal with there. Personally I like to see his 2 not go through walls. The 1 is fine going through walls, the ult can be debated, on one hand he might not be useful without it on the other a long range high dmg ult like that needs to have some sort of weak point (scylla for example is very limited aoe and not huge range while it can be used over walls).
    Last edited by RockerBaby; 05-13-2018 at 06:30 AM.
    Rocking the boat

Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Repped! First Class 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by RockerBaby View Post
    The three things with thoth that for me is a deal breaker and makes him OP is:

1. His stun projectile is really fast which makes it almost impossible to miss. Most abilities in smite can be juked but thoth stun is incredibly hard to juke. Compare to isis stun, or neith 1 or thanna 1, I often miss these abilities but I almost never miss thoth 2. Add to this fact that you can window, wait a bit, jump, new window and stun and his initiation range is very long and also very reliable.

2. He is heavily reliant on his windows to function but placing a window in a bad spot is not as punishing as it should be because its cd is so low.

3. The window adds really good objective clear for team, when you look at all the other strong points of thoth it seems really excessive to give him bonus dmg to ranged attacks as well. Together with an adc he burns objectives so fast.

I'm not saying all of these need to be addressed if they were he probably fall off to much. But all together along with one of best ults in game and strong poke, good aoe making good use of gem of iso etc just makes him a tad bit to strong.

Someone compared to scylla but one major difference is that thoth can initiate through walls, his entire kit goes through walls (except his jump). This means scylla needs to commit more to initiate in conq where areas are small, sure she can get out after but its still risky for her. Thoth can initiate in conq more risk free, its still a risk yes vs jumpers and people with blink. Also Scyllas stun projectile speed is slower and can more easily be juked then thoths. Also Scyllas ult is all in once you press it, you gotta land it. But thoth can direct the play field just by charging ult. Syre scylla is immune so u cant stop her but thoth range is longer. All together I think thoths ult is better but that might be cause Im bad with scylla.

When I play thoth in arena its like I have total control of the battle field. I can jump to left or right flank instantly and help out and if someone combos I can toss ult into the mix real quick and deal nice dmg. The main way to adress this is add more cd to his windows I think. Changing projectile speed now seems a big no as it will just make playing him for those that are used to him feel like shit. Also I think remove the dmg bonus on ranged attack on windows. There are some picks that are good vs thoth in arena that can punish him but with a well rounded team around him its still very hard to do so. And yes I know its not all about arena but the only thing not translating as well into conq is that he can't jump through walls like some others can, rest of his kit still goes through walls in conq and makes him a hassle to deal with there. Personally I like to see his 2 not go through walls. The 1 is fine going through walls, the ult can be debated, on one hand he might not be useful without it on the other a long range high dmg ult like that needs to have some sort of weak point (scylla for example is very limited aoe and not huge range while it can be used over walls).
    Thoth is pure balance tho.....
    When life gives you lemons......complain about the lemons!
    Your Daily Kappacino, Trollbuilder for fun, furry (literally too) and Salt-Injecter
    Greetings, at your service~

A Tragic Product of Swedish Advertising Demigod SirKeksalot's Avatar
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 219
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Reputation Distributor 25000 Experience Points Repped! First Class Full Profile!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammygoodness View Post
    This god is broken. It's just a really stupid design. You made a mage with no weaknesses, and has more range on standard abilities than any other god in the game. Super safe poke, with an escape if he gets focused. CC with incredible range... on a mage. That shit goes through walls and minions, too. Think about that. Plus it does good damage. All his shots go through walls, have good damage, have unprecedented range, his ult has secure potential, his passive is solid.

No weaknesses, super safe. Is it any wonder he's picked and banned in almost every game? Try playing against him in Assault. It's a nightmare. For his range, he shouldn't have that damage. For his damage, he shouldn't have that cc. Take something away from him. Slow the projectile on his stun, so maybe a character who's half the map away might actually be able to juke it. Or make it stopped by minions... or walls.

Imagine if HiRez designed a hunter who's auto attacks outranged all other hunters. That's essentially what we're looking at here. If you want to play around with gods that break open the standard style of play, fine, but don't just take an equivalent mage and then give them some sort of unheard of bonus without giving them a weakness. There are many gods that can be frustrating to play against, but Thoth is the worst, by far.
    You literally necroed a thread to complain about Thoth. I don't even know what to say here; your complaints are unjustified because Thoth is easy to juke at max range, and you made a post that has literally no reason to be made and every reason not to exist.
    I tell people I'm bi, but what I really mean is [B] I O N I C L E

Muh Concepts

Super Moderator Godlike RainbowSplat's Avatar
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 1,603
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class Reputation Distributor 25000 Experience Points Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Closing due to necro
    *Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.*