Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How can Smite improve itself as a game? (my suggestions/discussion)

Junior Member Cupidhead zweiterversuch's Avatar
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Achievements:
    31 days registered 250 Experience Points

How can Smite improve itself as a game? (my suggestions/discussion)

So...
    I am a league of legends player. I've been playing it for the past...5 years I think. But, after getting bored of that perspective and the lack of immersion once you enter that stupid summoner's rift (the name of the game map), I decided to look for something that truly made me feel like I was in control of that character, that I was fighting a battle that mattered. It was then I found Smite. (Jontron's video also drew my attention)

I think the game is amazing! That over the shoulder perspective, the music, the skybox and detail on the game maps, the map variety (even if the objectives in said maps aren't that different), the tons, TONS of personality that oozes from the character's victory or defeat animations once you've finished a match. But, as a moba player, I feel that the game is lacking in some aspects.
    Now, I'm no expert in MOBA's, nor am I a master at the game (not even in league of legends), but I think that the game would benefit greatly from small changes.

1) Adding a visible fog of war to the minimap.
    - Allow me to explain myself. Currently the minimap does a great job showing players allies and enemies locations' as well as camps and wards, but it doesn't show you how much vision you really have at each given moment during the match. I think that's crucial in a game such as smite. Also, I know that the xbox and playstation versions of the minimap have it. So why not add it to the pc version?

2) Zooming out a little bit from the characters.
    - One of the main appeals of Smite is of course the fact that you have an over the shoulder perspective of your character, but by being so close to it, you lose information regarding your surroundings (especially during team fights). If the camera were just a little bit father away, like just a couple of units away from the character, and it's angle were a little bit higher it'd be great as it'd allow you to pay more attention to your periphery.

3) Revealing wards. A lot of gods are able to become invisible in smite, and most of them can burst you down to 0 with 2 abilities. I have nothing against those gods, in league there are champions like that as well, but in order to give squishies a change to do anything against them, there are revealing wards. These wards don't remove the stealth from the character, but rather, show for a short amount of time its movements. I know a lot of gods are dependent on their invisibility, but I think that if said reveal only lasted 1.8 seconds it'd be enought to allow squishies to run for their lives, or tanks to give the chase.

4) Make the gold fury relevant after lv 20. (this is a long one)
    We all can agree that after lv 20, the most important thing on the map is the fire giant, but I don't think that sould be the case since that focuses the fights on one side of the map. Now, I was thinking why not add another camp that could bring benefits to the players in late game, but that wouldn't break the greek theme of conquest?

In greek mythology, after the union of Gaia and Uranos, other beings were born besides the titans: the Hecatoncheires or the hundred-handers (as they were said to have 100 hands and 50 heads). They were three: Briareos (Strong), Kottos (Strike), and Gyges (curved/limb). Their names' meanings aside, having the three of them spawn at the same time at the gold fury camp after every player has reached max LV would not only give players a reason to play attention to the left side of the map again, but it would also give a chance to the losing team to withstand the opposing team last charge after they have taken fire giant.
    What I think would make this "mob" unique would be the fact that each hecatoncherie's buff would be independent from the other two. For instance: Briareos could give shield to the characters within a certain area at the moment of its defeat that would negate the first enemy ability that hit it, and reduce the second by 50% percent (one time only per god). Kottos could add 200 additional fixed damage to the ultimate of the characters withing a certain area at the moment of its defeat (one use only per god). And finally Gyges could add a status effect that would descrease the attack and movement speed of your oponents after they are hit by one ability (one use only per god)

5) Changing the wrath relic.
    Wrath is just like league's smite (name of the active). It's an active that kills jungle camps, but in league it also restores life to the jungler if he uses it. Also after leveling it up, the player can choose between diferent types of smite: red smite (turns regular damage into true damage and reveals champions in stealth for a few seconds) or blue smite (does a fixed amount of damage and reduces movement speed for a couple of seconds).
    Although I'm not saying that it must be the same, the wrath relic as it is now is not appealing at all. It should at least give the jungler some health back when used, and (later in the game maybe) allow the jungler to choose if he'd like to regain mana instead, or if he would prefer doing some additional status effect like confusion or negate the opponent's healing or shields.

6) Allow teleport to be used on soldiers.
    That one is straight from league of legends. Teleport is sooo useless here after your towers are down, or when you or your teammates forgot to ward in the enemy front lines. That's why I think that you should be able to teleport to soldiers when needed.

7) improving structures and soldiers during the match (please, just listen)
    Dota, league, smite, they all come from the same place, right? Real Time Strategy games. Such games most commonly involve managing cities population, technology trees, resources, all that, right? In a game such as smite, doing all that is a hassle and would scare new comers away, but if implemented slightly it might add a new layer of strategy to the game.

It doesn't need to be something that players would need to spend gold on. It can be accessible after your team's gold has surpassed a certain threshold. Let's say every 10.000-13.000 gold.

Now, so far I've just come up with 6 improvements that could be made during a match that would be helpful and not break the current game flow of smite.

(For towers only)
    a) "Burst of divine energy": After being destroyed the tower does a fixed amount of damage in the area surrounding it, slowing opponents down and giving allies +20% mov speed towards the next allied structure for 3 seconds.
    b) "Orthus' advantage" (Orthus is a two-headed dog in greek mythology, Cerberus' brother). It increases the tower's attack speed and allows it to attack 2 gods instead of 1 if an allied god is hit.
    c) "Machicolation": The tower stuns the first god that hit it for 2 seconds. (Coold down 40 seconds)

For soldiers
    a) "For the gods!" : Allied dead soldiers around you give you a charge. Every 6 charges you get 60 health and 30 mana back.
    b) "Marching speed!": Allied soliders move faster towards an allied god in lane.
    c) "Ranged brutes": Every second soldier wave with brute units, the brute front soldiers are replaced with brute archers instead.

Honestly, there are more things I'd like to comment on, but some are just personal preference and others are being worked on for season 5 so I will say nothing about them.

So...what do you think?

Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 246
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 1 year registered 1000 Experience Points
    There is no need for changes like this. Smite is one of the biggest mobas one of the most trending, growing everyday. Why would we need to change the game so drastic like this? This is smite, not league of legends. If you like leagues concept better go play that.

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Achievements:
    3 months registered Party Person 5000 Experience Points
    How Can Smite Improve itself as a Game?

The most important thing is: remove the non-gods and unimportant gods (like Awilix and Bellona) or at least reduce their numbers. Don't add non-gods like Cerberus or Nidhogg to the game. Calling them gods is just lying to the public.

With the removal of most non-gods, this will be Smite's list of gods:
    Greek
    1. Zeus
    2. Poseidon
    3. Hades - a remodel to look more Greek-like and have flesh would make him better
    4. Athena
    5. Ares
    6. Apollo - with a bow
    7. Artemis
    8. Aphrodite
    9. Chronos
    10. Thanatos
    11. Nemesis

Roman
    1. Mercury
    2. Bacchus
    3. Vulcan
    4. Hercules
    5. Janus
    6. Terra
    7. Nox

Norse
    1. Odin
    2. Thor
    3. Loki
    4. Tyr
    5. Freya
    6. Hel
    7. Ullr
    8. Skadi
    9. Fenrir
    10. Ymir
    11. Fafnir
    new gods:
    *12. Baldr - Son of Odin. god of Light
    *13. Bragi - god of poetry and music.

Egyptian
    1. Ra
    2. Osiris
    3. Isis
    4. Anhur
    5. Anubis
    6. Bastet - must look like a cat
    7. Sobek
    8. Neith
    9. Thoth
    10. Geb
    new gods:
    *11. Set - god of Chaos. Brother of Osiris and villain of the Egyptian pantheon.
    *12. Horus - god of Pharaohs and protector of Egypt.

Chinese
    1. Erlang Shen
    2. Guan Yu
    3. Sun Wukong - he's stronger than most gods so he's ok
    4. Nuwa
    5. Houyi
    6. Chang'e
    7. Ao Kuang
    8. Hebo
    9. Nezha
    new gods:
    *10. Jade Emperor - highest being in Taoism. god of Heaven
    *11. Fuxi - brother of Nuwa and the god who civilized the Chinese people
    *12. Xi Wangmu - Queen Mother of the West and wife of the Jade Emperor

Mayan
    1. Chaac
    2. Kukulkan
    3. Ah Puch
    4. Ah Muzen Cab
    5. Hun Batz
    6. Xbalanque
    7. Cabrakan
    new gods:
    *8. Hunahpu - brother of Xbalanque. god of the Sun
    *9. Itzamna - Mayan creator god and is the most powerful god in Mayan myth. (Chaac is 2nd)
    *10. Ixtab - goddess of suicide
    *11. Yum Kaax - god of the wild

Japanese
    1. Amaterasu
    2. Susano
    3. Raijin
    4. Izanami
    5. Hachiman
    new gods:
    *6. Izanagi - husband of Izanami and the Japanese creator god. He will be powerful mid-late game warrior and have badass visual design.
    *7. Fujin - brother of Raijin. god of the wind. His kit will be anti-hunter, blowing away range basic attack that hit him.
    *8. Tsukuyomi - god of the moon and brother of Ama and Susano. His kit will be anti-mage draining mana.
    *9. Ebisu - god of fishermen. He'll be Kuzenbo's replacement with minor kit differences.
    *10. Inari - goddess of rice, tea and everything important. Very good support throwing rice to heal and tea to buff allies

Hindu
    1. Rama
    2. Ravana
    3. Vamana
    4. Kali
    5. Ganesha
    6. Agni
    7. Kumbakharna

Celtic
    1. Morrigan
    2. Cernunnos
    3. Cu Chulainn
    new gods:
    *4. Dagda
    *5. Lugh
    *6. Esus
    *7. Epona

Characters Deleted from the Game:
    1. Scylla
    2. Arachne
    3. Medusa
    4. Nike
    5. Chiron
    6. Bellona
    7. Cupid
    8. Sol
    9. Ratatoskr
    10. Khepri
    11. Serqet
    12. Daji
    13. Jingwei
    14. Xing Tian
    15. Zhong Kui
    16. Awilix
    17. Camazotz
    18. Kuzenbo - but his kit lives on in Ebisu
    19. Bakasura
    20. Artio
    Last edited by LiamX; 10-26-2017 at 04:34 AM.

Senior Member Honoured Ravensaurus's Avatar
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 232
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Repped! First Class Veteran
    Can I beat sense into this thing with a history book, pretty please?

Quote Originally Posted by LiamX View Post
    *9. Ebisu - god of fishermen. He'll be Kuzenbo's replacement with minor kit differences.
    *10. Inari - goddess of rice, tea and everything important. Very good support throwing rice to heal and tea to buff allies
    So, you think a Goddess of Moon, Goddess of Poison, Goddess of War, Goddess of Sun, a Sun God and a Death God and a water deity with an army who was offered sacrifice to not ravage the people of the shores is less important than a random fucking fishermen and a Goddess of GODDAMN RICE. RICE FOR FUCKS SAKE!!!

You are a parody of yourself I swear...

Quote Originally Posted by LiamX View Post
    Characters Deleted from the Game:
    1. Scylla
    2. Arachne
    3. Medusa
    4. Nike
    5. Chiron
    6. Bellona
    7. Cupid
    8. Sol
    9. Ratatoskr
    10. Khepri
    11. Serqet
    12. Daji
    13. Jingwei
    14. Xing Tian
    15. Zhong Kui
    16. Awilix
    17. Camazotz
    18. Kuzenbo - but his kit lives on in Ebisu
    19. Bakasura
    20. Artio
    Oh boy, here we go...

- Scylla is a GODDESS or DEMIGOD, like it or not. She is the daughter of Phorkys (sea god) or Triton (primordial / sea god) and Hecate (Goddess) or Crataeis. So she is half-primordial or demigod at worst, primordial-goddess hybrid or goddess at best. She was slain by Hercules himself so that shows how powerful she was that they need the Greek Superman to end her terror.

- Medusa and Arachne were mortals, sure, but they had a great part in mythology. Arachne humiliated a God and Medusa's head in itself petrified motherfukkin Atlas, one of the strongest Titans.

- Nike, Eris and Enyo are the triad Goddesses of the Titan conflict, the greatest War in Greek mythology. Eris (we get her roman equivalent Discordia) fought on Typhoon's side (one of the most fearsome Titans, the father of monsters), Nike on the gods side (read her lore) and bloodthirsty Enyo (we get her even more important Roman equivalent) fought for both parties, cause she enjoyed the bloodshed so much she actively delayed the greatest Greek showdown. That battle is in the same league as Ragnarok, so calling them unimportant is blatantly stupid.

- Chiron trained the greatest heroes in Greek mythology and got immortalised as a constellation. He is relevant. He is also the son of Cronus, so he is half-brother of Zeus. His archery skills are equal to Apollo's and trained Artemis herself.

- Cupid is a god. God of love. Son of Mars and Venus. Important. Period.

- Ratatoskr is a little piece of shit, I give you that, but he has his role. He angers Nidhogg against the Eagle. Nidhogg is part of Ragnarok, Norse's mythology's climax. So he has some great merits, even being slightly unimportant.

- Khepri is one of the three main son gods (him, Ra and Atum, the three got merged into Amon-Ra later on) therefore very important. The sacred scarabs are his sons. Scarabs have great cultural influence in ancient Egyptian religion.

- Serqet was woreshipped to protect from dangerous African snakes and scorpions. Egypt was (and still) infested with those. She is also a protector of Ra against the powerful primordial Lord of Chaos, Apep.

- Da Ji was based on a real, bloodthirsty sadist wife of the emperor, who made the emperor and the whole Shang Dynasty fall. Relevant historical figure. And as the weeb you are, Japanese kitsunes are based off of her.

- Jing wei is the daughter of the Flame Emperor (historically important and based on a real person). I admit she is a minor figure.

- Xing Tian is an immortal deity as well. A god. Nuff said.

- Zhong Kui is literally still worshipped as a "guardian spirit of fhousehold gates as a as well as in places of business where high-value goods are involved" in China. What will you say next? Vishnu is unimportant? Seriously, learn some mythology and history, goddarnit.

- Awilix was Goddess of "Postclassic K'iche' Maya, who had a large kingdom in the highlands of Guatemala". As a Moon Goddess she was highly admired.

- Camazotz is literally in the myth of the Mayan hero twins, Hunaphu and Xbalanque. He beheaded the mighty Hunaphu. Very strong Death God of Xibalba.

- Kuzenbo and the Kappa was feared through Japan and were offered sacrifices (mainly vegetables, especially cucumber, but also horses were offered time to time) to let villages unravaged. Kuzenbo was the King of the Western Kappa while Nene was the Queen of Eastern.

- Bakasura, while being a minor figure is still important in the legend of Bhima.

- Artio is Goddess of the life cycle. Celtics, as nomadic people, were close to nature, so she was woreshipped. Still a Goddess.
    What's the matter, afraid of the dark?!

Mind you give me some chips with that ammount of salt you have?
    Mmmmm... So good!

Official Kuzenbo cultist, reptile nerd, snake lady lover.

Junior Member Cupidhead zweiterversuch's Avatar
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Achievements:
    31 days registered 250 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Zellun View Post
    There is no need for changes like this. Smite is one of the biggest mobas one of the most trending, growing everyday. Why would we need to change the game so drastic like this? This is smite, not league of legends. If you like leagues concept better go play that.
    These changes are drastic? I can agree the seventh one is, but the first six not so much. They address small changes such as camera, a layer of fog of war on the minimap (something present in the ps4 and xbox version), fixing the wrath relic (something no jungler is using right now in conquest), and allowing players to teleport on soldiers (after the upgrade).

Also, I am not the only one that pointed some of these out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3Levfyn0qU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAK_1kQO6kE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R0bIgnJgi4

Some of the things they mention are already being worked on for season 5 (as I said above, so I found it unnecessary to put them here, but most of them remind me how league is doing things now. So league most be doing something right.)

Things they mention for season 5 I can agree with should be changed:
    -More exp in jungle
    -bigger map
    -skills uniqueness/god changes/item
    -clean interface

but ok, if that's your opinion.

Also, the guy above is right. The gods right now have some degree of relevancy.
    Last edited by zweiterversuch; 10-26-2017 at 08:45 AM.

Senior Member Honoured Ravensaurus's Avatar
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 232
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Repped! First Class Veteran
    I meant Khepri as a Sun God, not son god. Mobile forum doesn't let me Edit it.
    What's the matter, afraid of the dark?!

Mind you give me some chips with that ammount of salt you have?
    Mmmmm... So good!

Official Kuzenbo cultist, reptile nerd, snake lady lover.

Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,004
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points Veteran
    So, you think a Goddess of Moon, Goddess of Poison, Goddess of War, Goddess of Sun, a Sun God and a Death God and a water deity with an army who was offered sacrifice to not ravage the people of the shores is less important than a random fucking fishermen and a Goddess of GODDAMN RICE. RICE FOR FUCKS SAKE!!!
    LOL
    Goddess of Rice would be too OP, imagine getting hit by Onigiri...
    This feeling when your team is far behind and you have no prospects for late game but for some reason players still doesnt want to surrender - MOBA Cancer.

Member Follower
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 315
    Achievements:
    3 months registered 1000 Experience Points
    Hi zweiterversuch,

they have hijacked hour thread. Anyway:

Quote Originally Posted by zweiterversuch View Post
    1) Adding a visible fog of war to the minimap.
    I think that is a great idea, and consoles does not have it either.

2) Zooming out a little bit from the characters.
    Yeah, I would like to see that too. Ymir or Hades are taking a lot of screen, it is hard tohitwith your ability when you don't see where it lands..

3) Revealing wards.
    I agree with you.

For the rest of your points I have no opinion.

Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 3,434
    Achievements:
    Veteran Repped! First Class Reputation Distributor Party Person Discussion Ender
    Number 2 can be abusable and allow you to see over buff camp walls (see the joust map blue buffs).

Number 3 is kinda of pointless because we really only have two gods (three if you count Kuang) with stealth that's very effective. Making reveal wards would just cement that the stealth gods would need buffs sometime down the line.

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead EmperorGricer's Avatar
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 297
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Tagger Third Class Veteran
    The there are a few ways in which I think Smite should be more like LoL. The first is in its character and role diversity. In Smite, the roles are more or less tied to specific classes. Solo lane = Warrior, Jungle = Assassin, Mid = Mage, Support = Guardian and ADC = Hunter. Now there are a small handful of characters who break the trend, such as Ao Kuang (Jungler), Chronos (ADC or Mid) and Artio (Solo), but that's only because, for all intents and purposes, they belong to the classes typical for those roles, they just have their damage type switched. I want to see more diversity. Perhaps a jungling tank, a mid laner assassin, or who knows, a viable support mage.

LoL also has more diversity between characters. Sure, there are a few cookie cutter champions, but there's quite a lot of completely unique ones: A character that can eat allies to transport them, the pseudo-ADC that turns into a tanky bruiser, the assassin that can upgrade their abilities as they level their ultimate, and the list goes on.

Lastly, less hard escapes. As someone who played Smite before LoL, I was quite shocked by how few champions had a leap or a dash just in their regular kit. At first I thought this was a minus, but now I think it's actually a good thing. Smite has so many characters with an instant or near instant escape that most of the few characters that don't aren't viable, just because they lack it. It creates a cycle where more and more gods are being made with escapes in their kits to make them viable, thus putting those without escapes at more and more of a disadvantage. Now I'm not asking for most characters to have the mobility of Anubis, but a simple movespeed increase or a good CC to get people off you is usually good enough to make sure a character can get away from enough situations.