Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 68

Thread: Is Smite's Nude Portrayal of the Morrigan Lore-Accurate?

  1. #1
    Banned Honoured LiamX's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    885
    7
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Achievements:
    3 months registered Party Person 5000 Experience Points
    Rep Power
    0

    Is Smite's Nude Portrayal of the Morrigan Lore-Accurate?

    The Morrigan is definitely one of the more important goddesses Smite has released and with that, I kinda have high expectations of her. Her gameplay is fun but the visual design..

    Her portrayal in Smite is that, she is a pornstar. Kinda distracting actually and is one of the reasons why I keep passing her up whenever I unlock another god. If she was meant to be nude like Aphrodite, it's ok but if they made her nude just for the sake of it, no, just no. Pornstar Morrigan is not how I remember the Morrigan's portrayal in real-world mythology but I could be wrong. From what I found from google, no, she's not a pornstar. Celtic is not one of my strongest suits in terms of knowledge unlike most of the other pantheons.

    So to all you Celtic buffs out there, should the Morrigan be nude? Was this how the Celts viewed her or should she have more clothes on her?

  2. #2
    Otaku Mod Infamous MiyobiKumagawa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Somewhere, Nowhere
    Posts
    8,400
    31
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 818
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class 25000 Experience Points Arm of the Law! Discussion Ender Party Person
    Awards:
    Most Popular
    Rep Power
    50
    So I'mma say this now as a pre-emptive warning. If you feel you need to say something not related to the thread for future posters here. Please to God do not get triggered and go on a damn rampage like ya'll did in the last one.
    *Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.*


  3. #3
    A Tragic Product of Swedish Advertising Demigod SirKeksalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Bro-Koro
    Posts
    13,644
    30
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 219
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Reputation Distributor 25000 Experience Points Repped! First Class Full Profile!
    Rep Power
    23
    The Romans have accounts stating that the Celts fought in the nude. Their war deities should follow suit.
    I tell people I'm bi, but what I really mean is [B] I O N I C L E



    Muh Concepts


  4. #4
    Banned Honoured LiamX's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    885
    7
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Achievements:
    3 months registered Party Person 5000 Experience Points
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKeksalot View Post
    The Romans have accounts stating that the Celts fought in the nude. Their war deities should follow suit.
    Then why is Cu Chulainn and Artio not nude then? Your point would make sense if we're talking about Artio, a gallic deity but the Morrigan is an Irish deity. And the Romans never invaded Ireland so your argument isn't really a strong one.

  5. #5
    Ocean Princess Prestigious Lyralis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Walking with Elisa
    Posts
    4,057
    13
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 436
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Conversation Starter 1 year registered Repped! Third Class 10000 Experience Points
    Rep Power
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamX View Post
    The Morrigan is definitely one of the more important goddesses Smite has released and with that, I kinda have high expectations of her. Her gameplay is fun but the visual design..

    Her portrayal in Smite is that, she is a pornstar. Kinda distracting actually and is one of the reasons why I keep passing her up whenever I unlock another god. If she was meant to be nude like Aphrodite, it's ok but if they made her nude just for the sake of it, no, just no. Pornstar Morrigan is not how I remember the Morrigan's portrayal in real-world mythology but I could be wrong. From what I found from google, no, she's not a pornstar. Celtic is not one of my strongest suits in terms of knowledge unlike most of the other pantheons.

    So to all you Celtic buffs out there, should the Morrigan be nude? Was this how the Celts viewed her or should she have more clothes on her?
    It's because the Morrigan is supposed to be seductive and stuff too.

    And why does it need to be lore-accurate? Ever heard of creative liberties?
    Last edited by Lyralis; 09-29-2017 at 07:49 PM.
    What do I put here now?

  6. #6
    Otaku Mod Infamous MiyobiKumagawa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Somewhere, Nowhere
    Posts
    8,400
    31
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 818
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class 25000 Experience Points Arm of the Law! Discussion Ender Party Person
    Awards:
    Most Popular
    Rep Power
    50
    I'll throw this out here, Smite designers have been given the leeway to creatively portray how they see the Gods. Despite the questionable lore accuracy to the hardcore, it's withing the designer's right to design said God the way he/she portrays due to creative rights.

    The last knucklehead that tried enforcing his ideologies on others for "realism" got booted out by the community because let's face it, nothing in a video game has to be real or historically accurate because it'd be boring. People play Smite to have fun, not for lore accuracy.

    Yes, playing a game with bland designs of half-naked men and women without a single tinge of creative flair would kill this game faster than Warner Brothers killing Shadow of War with micro-transactions.
    *Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.*


  7. #7
    Senior Member Prestigious Charmander787's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Kansas, United States
    Posts
    4,699
    15
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 42
    Achievements:
    Party Person Tagger Third Class Full Profile! 10000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Rep Power
    9
    Dude yo

    This game is not advertised as a 100% lore accurate game.

    Thats the best reply you gonna get. SO any future lore inaccuracy threads from now on are you being a lore-bot. *edit*

    Have a good day!


    Why do you need 60 FPS? The human eye can only see 64 megabytes of RAM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Prestigious zecleria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Kebabland
    Posts
    2,729
    11
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 754
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points Repped! First Class Reputation Distributor Veteran
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by MiyobiKumagawa View Post
    Yes, playing a game with bland designs of half-naked men and women without a single tinge of creative flair would kill this game faster than Warner Brothers killing Shadow of War with micro-transactions.
    i gotta say that shadow of war wont really die. people still buy cod franchise. and they'll buy shadow of war too for that fanservice version of the heresy called "shelob".

    on the topic, liam, you have proven time and time again that you know jack shit about the lore on smite history. if you have any actual facts to back up these claim of yours, pls dont bother. cus as much as im not gonna buy some bullshit site that has no citation or whatsoever, miyo is also right. smite doesnt have to be %100 lore accurate. does it reflect the key points of the character? yes. than its very much enough.
    You may think all gods have huge amounts of courage, but only xbalanque has the balls to use them as weapons.

    0.3 instead of 30% again.
    dont skip school kids.
    How to make arguments on forum:if you cant win an argument, call the other side trolls. Always works

  9. #9
    Junior Member Senior Cupidhead Degalon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    56
    2
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 396
    Achievements:
    3 months registered 1000 Experience Points
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamX View Post
    Then why is Cu Chulainn and Artio not nude then? Your point would make sense if we're talking about Artio, a gallic deity but the Morrigan is an Irish deity. And the Romans never invaded Ireland so your argument isn't really a strong one.
    Cu Chulainn is just as "nude" as The Morrigan.

    She's designed as a wildwoods witch, and her outfit reflects that. Kind of "nubile savage/barbarian" thing going on. she doesn't need an ornate ballgown, she's fine.

    And honestly though..."nude"? Seriously? She shows a lot of skin, but she's covered head to toe in various accessories, so she more or less comes across as fully covered, to me.

  10. #10
    Banned Honoured LiamX's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    885
    7
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Achievements:
    3 months registered Party Person 5000 Experience Points
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyralis View Post
    And why does it need to be lore-accurate? Ever heard of creative liberties?
    Let's make a completely different character and put them in Smite.
    Why call it a game of mythology if you're not gonna honor the source material?


    Quote Originally Posted by MiyobiKumagawa View Post
    I'll throw this out here, Smite designers have been given the leeway to creatively portray how they see the Gods. Despite the questionable lore accuracy to the hardcore, it's withing the designer's right to design said God the way he/she portrays due to creative rights.

    The last knucklehead that tried enforcing his ideologies on others for "realism" got booted out by the community because let's face it, nothing in a video game has to be real or historically accurate because it'd be boring. People play Smite to have fun, not for lore accuracy.

    Yes, playing a game with bland designs of half-naked men and women without a single tinge of creative flair would kill this game faster than Warner Brothers killing Shadow of War with micro-transactions.
    But then if there's too much of this "creative leeway", you shouldn't name them Apollo or Bastet if you're not gonna honor the source material. Otherwise, you're just lying to people. Also, no. History is not boring. The presentation can be boring but not history itself. Ever heard of the games: Romance of the Three Kingdoms and the Total War games? They're the most historically accurate games I've ever played and by no means was it boring. In fact, they're very fun games and quite popular.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •