Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: God Picks for New Players

Ocean Princess Prestigious Lyralis's Avatar
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 441
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Repped! Second Class 5000 Experience Points Conversation Starter 1 year registered
    For any mode outside of Conquest, Ah Puch XD.

Skill Level: Snow Bae Scylla <3
    Level: 114/160
    IGN: Šcylla

"For people like us, a life without music is death." - Kaori Miyazono

Forum Moderator Infamous SeventhArchon's Avatar
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 1,223
    Achievements:
    Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class Party Person 25000 Experience Points Tagger Third Class
    Don't fall for newbie trap gods. Anubis, Loki and Kukulkan might seem like easy picks for a beginner to start with, but they're nigh on useless in any decent level match and a new player that starts with these gods will find themselves with a useless main not long after.
    *Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.*

~I only play Jungle Practice, so note that my opinions are colored by that fact~
    "I am a primordial being: eternal, infinite, and still not nerfed enough."
    Quote Originally Posted by TigrisCallidus
    QUOTES ARE NO ARGUMENTS!

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead Wildstreak's Avatar
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 89
    Achievements:
    31 days registered Repped! Third Class 250 Experience Points
    Well after some time, I now have 5 Rank I Gods, Guan Yu, Athena, Neith, Odin and Xbalanque who I do not even own.
    Xbalanque is on rotation and the only god I have positive Win % and K/D with, lol. Surprised me with how good he is, wonder if there is any God similar to him in other roles.
    All my others are still hurting except Thor who I never tried to use. In addition to Athena and Odin, I also got and tried Terra. I also have 4 Level-Up 7 day Gods from 9, 15 and 18 Rewards not used yet either.
    Not sure who I will get next, either one I could use or depending on what is shown in Odyssey one of the Gods needed for Quests there. Except Chaac, I still have not used my Level 15 bonus with a 7 day use of him, I can just use that to do the quest needing him.

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead skoots7's Avatar
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 73
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points
    I'll give 2 suggestions for each role. Most of my suggestions may not be typical suggestions for beginners, but i suggest learning to play different styles of each position, it will benefit you more in the long run and give you better understanding of the game as well as avoiding bad habitats.

Guardian - Sobek and Geb
    These guardians are typically played quite differently. Sobek is used as an aggressive guardian that offers good peel as well as an ult that can give back mana if you mismanaged it early on. Geb usually isn't played as aggressive is much more supportive god than offensive. These too guardian should give you a good idea on how to play a guardian in two separate ways. Both have fun kits and very capable of doing their jobs well.

Assassin - Ne Zha and Bastet - Bastet in my opinion is much easier to play and has good early game damage and easy to confirm kills with her ultimate. Ne Zha is a little trickier to operate, but is very capable of taking over a game if you get a lead and has a very fun kit.

Mage - This class is hard to suggest because of huge variance in the class. I would suggest learning Hel or Change and Scylla. Hel/Chang'e to learn how to effectively play a healer. They both are very squishy and have to be played carefully in the early stages but can become high powered mages in the later levels. Scylla is good safe god to play also. Has a strong fun kit and good escape. You can also learn the benefit of point skipping with Scylla.

Hunter - Cernunnos is probably the best bet to learn. Strong kit with good escape. Learning how to toggle his 1 will be important and will help with other gods and timing. Honestly any hunter will do though, most of them have similar enough kits that if you can play 1 hunter well, you should be able to play most of them at a decent level.

Warrior - Tyr and Ravanna. Tyr is because he just too much damn fun to play and is a beast. Ravanna is a AA warrior with strong ult and very forgiving 2 that allows you to be both damange and CC immune.

Hope this helps and have fun!
    You ask me "Oh God, why?"
    "Because I'm god, that's fucking why"

Ocean Princess Prestigious Lyralis's Avatar
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 441
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Repped! Second Class 5000 Experience Points Conversation Starter 1 year registered
    One point on Scylla though is that you may want to recommend a god with better early clear.

She is liable to getting outpushed, outfarmed, falling behind, and whatnot. A good one to learn playing from behind with but not newbie-newbie material imo.

She is also in the top 5-10 squishiest gods in the game so I guess she can be used to learn how to play safely. Namely that having an escape doesn't mean you are invincible, far from it.

Also, Blink Scylla needs some experience before doing.

Skill Level: Snow Bae Scylla <3
    Level: 114/160
    IGN: Šcylla

"For people like us, a life without music is death." - Kaori Miyazono

Achievements:
    Is Fenrir just bad?

I keep seeing a number of Fenrirs but they all seem to do poorly except maybe once and I think that was in Co-op.

I tried him in the Jungle Training, he seems simple for a newb and has 2 jumps, one to get in and damage, one to go in and stun, both could be used to escape.

For such a simple straight damage dealer, various people seem to have problems with him. Also would like to know since he is one of the gods for one of the Odyssey missions.

Senior Member Honoured breakmyfutoffinu's Avatar
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 253
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points 1 year registered Repped! Third Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildstreak View Post
    Is Fenrir just bad?

I keep seeing a number of Fenrirs but they all seem to do poorly except maybe once and I think that was in Co-op.

I tried him in the Jungle Training, he seems simple for a newb and has 2 jumps, one to get in and damage, one to go in and stun, both could be used to escape.

For such a simple straight damage dealer, various people seem to have problems with him. Also would like to know since he is one of the gods for one of the Odyssey missions.
    in conquest he is not optimal atm, both of his lane clears require u to be right in the middle of it, and can screw u if you don't wait for the enemy to use abilities first. now if u can get him thru the very very early game and manage to get a few kills he is very much ok, and he builds quit nicely into the tank meta atm which I don't see enuff fenrir's do, and most experienced players know how he works and how to counter him, purification beads for ulty and anything that stops his brutalize. also knowing who has beads or ultys that can fuck his ulty takes a little experience.

posiedon would be a good combo with him cuz either they buy brads for fenrir or aegis for poseidon, either way u should be able to pick a few kills. and poseidon has good early game clear.

in Jungle atm I would recommend nemesis, n ravana for beginners. thor n thanny once u start to understand the game a lil more and can land the hammer/scythe. serqet is top assassin but difficult to use and not die alot. I've heard even cuu chu can jungle but I haven't tried him yet there.

Achievements:
    Well if anyone wants it while it lasts, free Artio and skin if you create an account and login to this site: http://www.onrpg.com/giveaways/smite...rtio-giveaway/

Achievements:
    Instead of starting a new topic for one thing, I am putting it here.

How does Nemesis' Swift Vengeance work?
    It says she can use Basic Attacks and Abilities between dashes but I cannot get this to work on Jungle map when trying it out, I am thinking I am missing something.
    I dash once then either can dash again but if I try to attack or ability, I have to Cancel the second dash and lose it.

Senior Member Honoured
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 472
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points Conversation Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildstreak View Post
    Instead of starting a new topic for one thing, I am putting it here.

How does Nemesis' Swift Vengeance work?
    It says she can use Basic Attacks and Abilities between dashes but I cannot get this to work on Jungle map when trying it out, I am thinking I am missing something.
    I dash once then either can dash again but if I try to attack or ability, I have to Cancel the second dash and lose it.
    You press 1 to dash then use your 2 or one basic, if ur fast u can get in the 2 and a basic, then u press 1 again. Shouldnt lose the dash