Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Bastet is Lore-Inaccurate

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Achievements:
    3 months registered Party Person 5000 Experience Points

Bastet is Lore-Inaccurate

So I decided, I will unlock Bastet since she is important in Egyptian mythology after all.
    However, there is still one thing about her that's bothering me.
    She is very lore-inaccurate!

At least with Apollo, it's only his bow. Bastet, it's how she's presented all in all.
    I mean if they re-kit Odin because his moveset was lore-inaccurate (which by the way, I appreciate), why don't they remodel Bastet?

She only needs to have a cat-like body. Her kit is fine.
    And to people saying she is already a humanoid cat. No. Adding a tail and feet for paws to a human female does not make one a humanoid cat.
    Look at every depiction of her in Egyptian mythology. From hieroglyphs to statues to basically everything else, she is a humanoid cat.

Last edited by LiamX; 09-11-2017 at 02:42 AM.

Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 471
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Conversation Starter Full Profile! Repped! Third Class 3 months registered
    Well, This time.. (and I fucking can't believe I'm saying this..)

I agree with u..

Although for different reasons.. I just don't like the way she looks now, and I don't think even if Hirez makes her image more Lore Accurate it would be better tho..

We shall see if she is getting a visual remodel that is ACTUALLY better than this
    I Love Rick Riordan's Books! Except Kane...
    Mains:
    Guardians: Ares, Athena, Fafnir
    Mage: Scylla, Isis
    Hunters: Hou Yi, Apollo
    If Someone Is Feeling Generous And Would Like To Donate Gems For Me, I'd Appreciate It My Mom's Strict About Minors Spending Money On Games

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 389
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Conversation Starter 5000 Experience Points Repped! Second Class Veteran
    Another one? Why do you need to repeat your threads if you know you'll get the same answers? Here, this is the thread that you made so you can check it: http://forums.smitegame.com/showthre...Their-New-Ones
    Favorite gods: Nemesis, Ne Zha, Janus, Apollo, Cabrakan, Freya, Chaac

Junior Member Cupidhead MutzThaPrah's Avatar
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class
    Uhm what. The pictures you show have much less to do with humanoid cats than Bastet's in-game model. The pictures are literally just a human with the head of a cat. I don't disagree that she could be more cat-like, but your reference completely contradicts your statement (that is, if I understand your complaint, you can never be sure with you.)

Lord of the Enigs Infamous Enigmatisty's Avatar
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,505
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Repped! First Class 10000 Experience Points Repped! Second Class Full Profile!
    Uh...they never reworked Odin because his kit was lore inaccurate. They reworked him because his trash kit was too hard to balance out for what it did.

And really? Bastet of ALL people. Meanwhile we've got Jing Wei with exploding air missiles when she clearly threw THOSE instead of rocks and shit in the sea.

Bastet and the Egyptian goddesses as a whole are fine the way they represented. Old Bastet was furry trash and honestly, I kind of like them to be a mixture of human and their respective animal.
    Actually back to Smite but my love for the forums isn't really the same anymore. May most likely not post god concepts again.

Since forums are dying, feel free to join the official smite forum discord where most retired members chill.

Ocean Princess Prestigious Lyralis's Avatar
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 436
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Conversation Starter 1 year registered Repped! Third Class 10000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamX View Post
    So I decided, I will unlock Bastet since she is important in Egyptian mythology after all.
    However, there is still one thing about her that's bothering me.
    She is very lore-inaccurate!

At least with Apollo, it's only his bow. Bastet, it's how she's presented all in all.
    I mean if they re-kit Odin because his moveset was lore-inaccurate (which by the way, I appreciate), why don't they remodel Bastet?

She only needs to have a cat-like body. Her kit is fine.
    And to people saying she is already a humanoid cat. No. Adding a tail and feet for paws to a human female does not make one a humanoid cat.
    Look at every depiction of her in Egyptian mythology. From hieroglyphs to statues to basically everything else, she is a humanoid cat.

Her old look is what you want.

--

Also really another one of these threads.
    What do I put here now?

Senior Member Honoured
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    you cant prove that the Egyptians were lore accurate either because a cat headed woman named Bastet never existed with or without a tail. What were they working off of if not their own imaginations? Why should all artists be restrained by the original artists lack of creativity if there is no actual accuracy in the original?

In addition, not only that, but you can't even prove it is the original. Maybe the original was just a person, not a cat of any kind, and they just had large cats that they might have used for intimidation? But thats not very mythical...

I suppose Disney should still be using the original depictions of their mouse, too, right? They don't, btw, because its old and ugly, and techniques for animation have improved substantially since it was originally created.

Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points 1 year registered Repped! Third Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Pizlenut View Post
    you cant prove that the Egyptians were lore accurate either
    what the fuck?

the ancient egyptians didnt have any """"lore"", they had a religion, a mythology. clearly and obviously, they were wrong about their own fucking religion and you, a rando on the internet pretending to represent a company full damn well knowing bastet is nothing like her egyptian counterpart, know it much better

literally nothing in bastets kit or model are representative of anything bastet was in egyptian mythology. hirez just took cat and made sexy cat girl because they dont care about properly representing the mythology

just look @ hades and thanatos... you can clearly see hirez clearly dgaf as long as they think they can sensationalize something
    Last edited by daddysgirl69; 09-11-2017 at 07:35 PM.
    delete fat
    i need to make it clear that objectively speaking raijin is the most attractive god in this game

Lord of the Enigs Infamous Enigmatisty's Avatar
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,505
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Repped! First Class 10000 Experience Points Repped! Second Class Full Profile!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pizlenut View Post
    you cant prove that the Egyptians were lore accurate either because a cat headed woman named Bastet never existed with or without a tail. What were they working off of if not their own imaginations? Why should all artists be restrained by the original artists lack of creativity if there is no actual accuracy in the original?

In addition, not only that, but you can't even prove it is the original. Maybe the original was just a person, not a cat of any kind, and they just had large cats that they might have used for intimidation? But thats not very mythical...

I suppose Disney should still be using the original depictions of their mouse, too, right? They don't, btw, because its old and ugly, and techniques for animation have improved substantially since it was originally created.
    Ok hold the fuck up. The source material is still there and regardless of how diluted it may have been over the ages, that doesn't mean you can just ignore it under that excuse: it is STILL the original.

Under your logic Bastet could be anything, not even feline or feminine in any form because of the slightest and most likely false allegation that she was represented as anything other than those things. Which is obviously false, many depictions of the goddess have been unearthed along with several entanglings with Greek culture resulting in even more evidence such as Herodotus's works on the matter.

I agree with you but only partially. HR is free to interpret Bastet as well as other gods on how they damn please, but they obviously use the source material at best for reference which they cannot ignore. Best example being Kali: she may have gotten remodeled but she still has the holy blue color of most Hindu goddesses and the respective arms to at least state her position as a being of power.
    Actually back to Smite but my love for the forums isn't really the same anymore. May most likely not post god concepts again.

Since forums are dying, feel free to join the official smite forum discord where most retired members chill.

Senior Member Honoured
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    I said its not accurate, not that it should be ignored. I said, quite simply, that its a made up bullshit thing and you can do with it whatever the fuck you want. Granted, you want to use the source as inspiration, because otherwise there wouldn't be a point of using "Egyptian lore/Bastet" in the first place. Which was probably your point too... but... again... I simply said not accurate - implying you don't have to follow some sort of rigid guidelines to replicate it.

The logic is simple. The number of people that would have had the right to record what "Bastet" was and her "appearance" would have been a very small minority. You have no proof that what they recorded was the common accepted appearance of their god, or just simply what the very few with the right to record her image thought, and you have no idea if what survived was even the original version or just a re-visioning by a successor, with the original being destroyed/erased from history.

also I'm not sure, but I don't think hi-rez ever claimed to adhere to any sort of accuracy even if any accuracy was to be had. Like, ever.

As to the other dude with the "its not LORE" crap. Mmkay, well, I don't consider religions to be any different than myth or lore. They are all the same thing; old stories carried through history. Nobody has any proof a religion wasn't just a myth or lore until some leader/group had a brilliant idea to weaponize it (into a religion) for control/fear/power/wealth.
    Last edited by Pizlenut; 09-12-2017 at 06:15 PM.