Thread: Here's one of the problems with Smite's match making that could be easily fixed.

Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 386

Here's one of the problems with Smite's match making that could be easily fixed.

As the title says, Here's one of the problems with Smite's match making that could be easily fixed.

The current match making system acts as if a few players are above the average match making rating of any given game, can make up for some other players on their team having extremely low MM ratings.

For example:

Team one has 5 players who are all around 10,000 MMR each (to pick an arbitrary number) = 50k total MMR.

Team two has 4 players who all around 12,000 each (48k so far), plus one player who is around 2,000 = 50k total.

Smite's current match making system acts as if these two teams are evenly matched, not taking into account the fact that a few players being slightly above average rating cannot hope to make up for that one player who is completely outmatched and is therefore going to feed like mad.

This is just one example. I've seen many games where it does things like put three first timers on the same team as two high level players, expecting them to be able to compete against a full team of 4-5 above average players.
    The two high level players on that team can't possibly make up for the 3 first timers who are going to get hammered, but Smite's current match making system thinks they should be able to make up for it and carry those 3 first timers.

This is a major problem in Smite's current match making system. It happens not every now and then, but very often, as in maybe 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 games I play is completely unbalanced and noncompetitive, entirely because of this problem.
    It would be a very simple thing to fix; simply don't put players together on the same team as players with massively different MM ratings.
    This would fix the overwhelming majority of the problems with Smite's current match making system.
    I don't believe there are big enough issues with player numbers to warrant putting people with massively different MM ratings together.
    I would much rather wait a little bit longer for games to pop than have so many of them be noncompetitive due to this system.

So why not change it? I think it'd make Smite a much more enjoyable game to play if this issue was fixed.

Feel free to share your thoughts.

Cheers.

Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 110
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Veteran Repped! Third Class
    *Thank you*. I was going to post a similar experience but you summed it up quite nicely.

This problem has become increasingly more frequent and consistent, and it's driving me spare...

I don't know my actual MMR but I am a level 127 player with loads of hours and experience. Yet my overall win rate this past week (and quite often in general) is only 37%. Why? Because I'm often (nearly always) matched with bad inexperienced players.

I check profiles after such a match. Here's some of the things I have seen.

Level 2.
    Level 3.
    Level 11
    Level 19

Bad overall scores. Feeding. Bad decisions. Overall lack of experience.

It *does* feel like the matchmaking system thinks a level 127 player like me *has* to carry noobs nearly every match. So basically I am being punished for playing lots of Smite. It is unfair, and honestly draining my enjoyment and will to play Smite. Frustrating to no end.

I understand I can't be matched with level 127 players every match but you can't tell me there are nothing but noobs available and online when I play at any given moment. U.u So why can't I be matched with, say, 4 players between level 50 and 90? It used to be a bit better..when everyone was still level 30. Could still suck but less so than total nooblets.

Hirez please fix this...prestige levels are cool and all but it is really ruining my matches and my mood. U.u
    Last edited by Blancmark; 09-07-2017 at 10:57 AM.

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 389
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Conversation Starter 5000 Experience Points Repped! Second Class Veteran
    The thing is, you are just assuming it works like this, Hi-Rez hasn't revealed how their matchmaking works.
    Favorite gods: Nemesis, Ne Zha, Janus, Apollo, Cabrakan, Freya, Chaac

Member Follower SantasLiLHelper's Avatar
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 206
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1 year registered 1000 Experience Points
    Actually, the matchmaking system (which is said to be based on the trueskill algorythm) takes variance in the mmr into account as well. The conditions become more relaxed as players spend more time in the queue, around 2:30 or so in casual queue the matchmaker will just use what it has. Of course, parties consisting of people with vastly different skill/experience levels can lead to strong variations as well.

I personally think a big improbement could be to let the players set their maximum variance values themselves. This way, you could make a tradeof between sitting longer in queue and having matches with a wide spread.

Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 589
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Veteran
    Seems to me there's a high chance whatever formula they are using to determine players' matchmaking scores is part of the problem, if not the root of it.

Senior Member Chosen BakaCircle9's Avatar
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 474
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Blancmark View Post
    I don't know my actual MMR but I am a level 127 player with loads of hours and experience. Yet my overall win rate this past week (and quite often in general) is only 37%. Why? Because I'm often (nearly always) matched with bad inexperienced players.

I check profiles after such a match. Here's some of the things I have seen.

Level 2.
    Level 3.
    Level 11
    Level 19

Bad overall scores. Feeding. Bad decisions. Overall lack of experience.
    exactly this. im 123 lvl and in like 80% of may matches i see ppl below lvl 30 in my or enemy team, sometimes in both. this is bad in any case, its bad when new players in your team fo obvious reasons, its bad when they are in enemy team, because game become too easy and it even worse if they are in both teams.

i think they should make some lvl requirement to be matched with. like ppl lvl 1-30 only play with ppl 1-30 or something like that. at least they shouldn't get in match with or against ppl over lvl 100, because those ppl have like a year in this game behind them, may be more.
    TOP 3 most stupid things i've ever see in this forum:
    she can do 1000 dmg at level 3 by just her 2-and passive
    her 3 should be more like medusa moving backwards movement penalty reduced only by 50%
    Her ult now is her 2 but with lower damage but same cooldown!
    my YouTube channel

Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 995
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Repped! First Class 5000 Experience Points Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by GogetaAR View Post
    The thing is, you are just assuming it works like this, Hi-Rez hasn't revealed how their matchmaking works.
    Because it doesn't. There really isn't any matchmaking in Smite. They may have code they call "matchmaking", but it doesn't work.

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 802
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Veteran
    Smite matchmaking is me and a team of drooling morons vs. a team of coordinated Navy Seals

Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 508
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class 1 year registered
    After my recent smite games in casual conquest being really bad.. I asked a guy his level and he said was level 21.. He was BALLONA support that went all crit. He then bmed me calling me a noob hunter with everything from quit smite to don't play hunter. I'm level 124 and understand hunter very well.

Getting matched with these people is shocking.. All crit BALLONA helps nobody.

I get this regularly with people not knowing the game at all. It's rare you get anyone who knows the role just even alittle bit. It's casuals so you give alittle.

Something needs to be done because the skill cap on ps4 is stupid.. People leave games, run in and die, have no idea about any of the game modes. They put out the guides for beginners but I feel that people just can't be bothered to watch and yeah the guides are not very good at all. They don't explain enough.. People pick 3 assasins in conquest and then we all get wiped because they all go mid. End up going against some sort of scrim team who just runs us down for fun..

All the good people I party with have left for PC and thus ps4 can be hell.. I've had only 1 game this week where we worked as a team instead of running around like dumbasses.
    Last edited by commandoo; 09-10-2017 at 06:49 PM.
    I like turtles