Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Harassment and how to report it.

Senior Member Prestigious Charmander787's Avatar
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 42
    Achievements:
    Party Person Tagger Third Class Full Profile! 10000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyralis View Post
    Change won't ever happen if the ones at fault go unpunished and the victims are blamed for not being immune to them.
    Thing is: these "Victims" are immune. The mute/block button exists. Along with simply exiting the game?

Change happens with a single person, taking a stand, and inspiring others to follow. Just look at history. If no one lifted a finger to oppose what's wrong, nothing would ever change for the better.
    You serious? Imagine if the German Jewish population could just exit the nightmares of WWII. There would have no Holocaust, no mass innocent deaths. But sadly, real life doesnt have a mute or quit button. But you know what does? SMITE. Or any game.

It may not be a guarantee, but we do have to try - When we have the power to change things, we should use it.
    What are we changing? People? People are naturally despicable. Banning some troll isnt going to change anything.

Keeping the message that BM and toxicity isn't okay fresh in the minds of everyone is at least a start to reducing it. If you pretend nothing's wrong, then nothing will ever be fixed. Simple as that.
    Something is wrong so we should fix it.

A mute button is the fix! Its the easiest fix!

Besides, it should be common sense that such things are plain wrong. And no, we should not NEED to develop immunity to it. It should not exist, period. Since it does though, we shouldn't ignore it but acknowledge that it is wrong and punish those who do it.
    It does exist though. Its such a delusional thought that we can have a perfect world, let alone a perfect video game.

The Mute button is just a band-aid on an arterial wound. It makes everything look acceptable on the surface while we bleed out from within.
    No its not! The harrasment ceases to exist. The problem is gone! If that person goes and harrasses another player (Because there are sadists out there), that other player can mute him aswell. Making a thread like this feeds these people! It says "Hey look, we pissed this guy off. Lets keep doing it!"

It's a temporary fix, and doesn't solve the main issue. It is helpful, but it amounts to nothing if nothing is actively done to punish those who BM and spew toxicity.

The mute button is a way to ignore the issue, not fix it.
    What is there to punish? Its a digital game! That you can completely ignore the mean people! Digital harassment is far off from real life harrasment.

Why do you need 60 FPS? The human eye can only see 64 megabytes of RAM.

Senior Member Chosen BakaCircle9's Avatar
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 474
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkrunn View Post
    So I played a match against a guy who fed, at best, until his team surrendered at 10.
    After that match he started pming me while I was in another match and continued to harass me, saying really messed up things. I have video and screenshot evidence, but I have no idea where to go to report this.
    I feel like this type of harassment (especially considering) what has been said to me, deserves harsher punishment than simply the after match reporting. This type of behavior is simply unacceptable.
    so, you played against some jerk, then he keep harassing you after a match and even when you played another match and you want to report him?

pffff... did you try to just ignore him and his messages? and also put him in you block list after? i think this is a best way to solve this problem, at least it works for me.
    TOP 3 most stupid things i've ever see in this forum:
    she can do 1000 dmg at level 3 by just her 2-and passive
    her 3 should be more like medusa moving backwards movement penalty reduced only by 50%
    Her ult now is her 2 but with lower damage but same cooldown!
    my YouTube channel

Achievements:
    Party Person Tagger Third Class Full Profile! 10000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Quote Originally Posted by BakaCircle9 View Post
    so, you played against some jerk, then he keep harassing you after a match and even when you played another match and you want to report him?

pffff... did you try to just ignore him and his messages? and also put him in you block list after? i think this is a best way to solve this problem, at least it works for me.
    Exactly!

It isnt harrassment if you can stop it!

Why do you need 60 FPS? The human eye can only see 64 megabytes of RAM.

Senior Member Chosen Darkfire47's Avatar
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 732
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points Full Profile! Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmander787 View Post
    What are we changing? People? People are naturally despicable. Banning some troll isnt going to change anything.
    Of course it will change something. The troll won't be able to harass anymore people. Whilst it may not have a great effect in the grand scale of things, most things don't. There is nothing wrong with taking the smalls steps that are available to prevent such behaviour.

A mute button is the fix! Its the easiest fix!
    It Really isn't a fix. It doesn't prevent aforementioned troll from going out and trolling more people. Sure other people can mute them as well, but instead of having everyone to mute them, its just easier to ban that person. Also muting and blocking someone in game does not prevent them from showing up in another game and trolling in game.[/QUOTE]

It does exist though. Its such a delusional thought that we can have a perfect world, let alone a perfect video game.
    1. Don't be rude. There is no reason to call them delusional in that situation just because they wish to improve the way things are.
    2. They never said it had to be perfect. Only that the community does the small things they can to make a difference.

What is there to punish? Its a digital game! That you can completely ignore the mean people! Digital harassment is far off from real life harrasment.
    That is completely untrue and is, to be honest, quite ignorant of the threat Cyber Bullying can pose.

Cyber Bullying can be just as devastating as real life bullying, except in the case of physical violence. There are many examples of people who have committed suicide and developed mental disorders as a result of torment online. To say that such a thing is not as bad as bullying in real life could not be further from the truth.

Senior Member Chosen Darkfire47's Avatar
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 732
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points Full Profile! Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by BakaCircle9 View Post

What is wrong with wanting to report someone?

If i have to deal with someone toxic, I mute AND report them, to prevent them doing what they did to other players.

There shouldn't be anything wrong with wanting to remove toxic behavior in the community.

Ocean Princess Prestigious Lyralis's Avatar
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 436
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Conversation Starter 1 year registered Repped! Third Class 10000 Experience Points
    You misunderstand my point.

Question the First: Is BMing, Toxicity, and Harrassment against SMITE's rules?

Answer: Yes. It is a reportable offense.

Question the Second: Is this behavior acceptable in terms of morality and basic human respect?

Answer: No, it sure as hell isn't.

Question the Third: If you don't punish people when they break the rules, will they ever stop?

Answer: As someone who's been bullied before can tell you, no. The only way for some people to learn that what they did is wrong is through negative reinforcement, IE punishment.

Question the Last: What is a way to reduce this behavior and make a few people at least reconsider their behavior?

Answer: By bringing attention to this issue, rather than sweeping it under the rug.

----

Plus, it always helps to talk to people for support and understanding after you've been in a bad experience. Moreso if it raises awareness and makes even one person decide to behave better.

Muting people is just ignoring the problem and passing it on for the next person to deal with.

It's helpful of course, but only in conjunction with reporting, and again regular threads to keep this issue fresh in the minds of people helps.

Finally, knowing you're not alone in this helps you recover and grow stronger from it.

Stop whining.

The mute button exists.
    You know this reply was completely inappropriate? The OP was asking where to send his Video/Screenshot evidence. Getting 1 person the punishment they deserve is 1 less person turning Smite into a toxic wasteland.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkfire47 View Post
    What is wrong with wanting to report someone?

If i have to deal with someone toxic, I mute AND report them, to prevent them doing what they did to other players.

There shouldn't be anything wrong with wanting to remove toxic behavior in the community.
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Darkfire47 again."

Damn you Forum .
    Last edited by Lyralis; 08-26-2017 at 12:39 PM.
    What do I put here now?

Achievements:
    Full Profile! Conversation Starter 1 year registered Repped! Third Class 10000 Experience Points
    Such ridiculousness that I need to multi-post because the other one's getting too big.

Exactly!

It isnt harrassment if you can stop it!
    That statement is literally the seed from which Blaming the Victim grows from.

How is physical bullying harassment? The victim should fight back! Nevermind the fact that bullies never fight fair and they always pick on those weaker than them.

How is cyber bullying harassment? The victim should just not use Facebook/Twitter/Whatever! Nevermind the fact that this "solution" is literally "Run away because no one cares or is willing to fight on your behalf."

How is sexual harassment...harassment? The victim should not have been there at that time/the victim is overly sensitive/the victim should "fight back"

Alternatively @cyber bullying, The victim should get a thick skin! They're a teenager, it's time they grew up and faced the real world!

Quote Originally Posted by LiamX View Post
    Well, the world is filled with jerks. You shouldn't baby teen-agers. Teach them to grow thicker skin. If these things ever happen to me, I either ignore them or if I feel like it, I troll them to oblivion.

Nevermind the fact that teenagers have to deal with a way bigger load of shit than most other age groups. Hormones, insecurity, difficult home lives/fighting with parents, cliques at school, social maneuvering and real or fake friendships, the list goes on.

Not to say adults don't either, but their hormones have settled, they stop growing awkwardly, and they're generally more confident and have a better sense of purpose. In short, they're as a whole less vulnerable.

Teenagers are especially vulnerable to verbal harassment because they're at a stage in life with many new changes, and their insecurity peaks at this age.

-----

So if the answer to every form of Harassment be it physical, mental, or even sexual is, "it's not harassment if you can stop it..."

Well in all of these you can indeed stop it. Theoretically. The thing is, CAN YOU?

In Smite, that may be true, to an extent. But should you really need to mute 50% of the people you meet?

My point though is that statement is dangerous. It's the first sign of someone more inclined to blame the victim instead of the aggressor.

-----

The reason toxicity in online games is so bad is, not enough is being done to fight against it, due to arguments like these.
    What do I put here now?

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Of course it will change something. The troll won't be able to harass anymore people. Whilst it may not have a great effect in the grand scale of things, most things don't. There is nothing wrong with taking the smalls steps that are available to prevent such behavior.
    Then this troll makes a new account. The trolls always win! Getting people like this banned isn't going to prevent anything.

It Really isn't a fix. It doesn't prevent aforementioned troll from going out and trolling more people. Sure other people can mute them as well, but instead of having everyone to mute them, its just easier to ban that person. Also muting and blocking someone in game does not prevent them from showing up in another game and trolling in game.
    Yes I understand that. But like I said, what happens when this troll makes a new account and goes out and trolls? It's just a loop at that point!

1. Don't be rude. There is no reason to call them delusional in that situation just because they wish to improve the way things are.
    2. They never said it had to be perfect. Only that the community does the small things they can to make a difference.
    Calling someone delusional does not mean I'm rude. These small things aren't going to change anything. Call me pessimistic, but I'm being realistic! There will always be evil in the world community and there's nothing to fix that.

That is completely untrue and is, to be honest, quite ignorant of the threat Cyber Bullying can pose.

Cyber Bullying can be just as devastating as real life bullying, except in the case of physical violence. There are many examples of people who have committed suicide and developed mental disorders as a result of torment online. To say that such a thing is not as bad as bullying in real life could not be further from the truth.
    You think I support harassment and bullying? Absolutely not. This situation isn't. Real bullying and real harassment happens when you can't avoid it. Those victims of bullies feel as if the whole world is against them and there isn't anything they can. When they block a bully, the bully makes a new account and continues the harassment to the SAME person. This bully is often someone the victim knows in real life.

When you mute the scumbag in SMITE, he or she will get bored and move on! If everyone mutes the harasser, they lose incentive because they aren't making people feel terrible. Ignoring these lowlifes is the best way to stop it.

Achievements:
    Well if they're getting banned and constantly making new accounts to continue.

At least they can't ever keep good skins or a God Pack.

Or they're making Hirez really rich.

Win-win, and better than doing nothing.
    What do I put here now?

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    [QUOTE=Lyralis;879475]Such ridiculousness that I need to multi-post because the other one's getting too big.

]That statement is literally the seed from which Blaming the Victim grows from.
    When the hell did i say "Hey OP it's your fault"

I gave him/her a working solution. To stop complaining, mute the scumbag, and keep playing games!

How is physical bullying harassment? The victim should fight back! Nevermind the fact that bullies never fight fair and they always pick on those weaker than them.
    This doesn't make sense. The victim of physical bullying can't fight back. I'm pretty sure all victims of bullying DREAM to have a button that ends all their suffering. Sadly they dont.

How is cyber bullying harassment? The victim should just not use Facebook/Twitter/Whatever! Nevermind the fact that this "solution" is literally "Run away because no one cares or is willing to fight on your behalf."
    What? Do you even know what bullying is? It's a repeated action! If the victim mutes the aggressor on social media, they make a new account and continue to harass the SAME person. That's something you can't stop. In SMITE? You hit mute and that bitch is out of my chat. Forever.

How is sexual harassment...harassment? The victim should not have been there at that time/the victim is overly sensitive/the victim should "fight back"
    I can see you are trying to make some sort of a point but this just isn't right. Like I stated earlier. Victims of sexual assault WISH they could make their agressor stop. imagine if a victim of sexual assault could hit a button and their aggressor disappears?Honestly it's bullshit that you are comparing rape to some dude getting called names on a video game.

Alternatively @cyber bullying, The victim should get a thick skin! They're a teenager, it's time they grew up and faced the real world!
    That's a load of crap. Cyber bullying isn't OK. This situation the OP was in? Definitely not cyber bullying.

Nevermind the fact that teenagers have to deal with a way bigger load of shit than most other age groups. Hormones, insecurity, difficult home lives/fighting with parents, cliques at school, social maneuvering and real or fake friendships, the list goes on.

Not to say adults don't either, but their hormones have settled, they stop growing awkwardly, and they're generally more confident and have a better sense of purpose. In short, they're as a whole less vulnerable.

Teenagers are especially vulnerable to verbal harassment because they're at a stage in life with many new changes, and their insecurity peaks at this age.

-----

[
    So if the answer to every form of Harassment be it physical, mental, or even sexual is, "it's not harassment if you can stop it..."

Well in all of these you can indeed stop it. Theoretically. The thing is, CAN YOU?
    You can't stop physical or sexual assault. Give me a situation in which any victim can click a button and make their agressor go away. If not, don't bring that shit up in an argument.

In Smite, that may be true, to an extent. But should you really need to mute 50% of the people you meet?
    You want 50% of the community banned? HAHA. What are you on about? Do you really think saying "you suck" should be bannable?

My point though is that statement is dangerous. It's the first sign of someone more inclined to blame the victim instead of the aggressor.
    I never would blame the victim. Never have I ever blamed the OP.

-----

The reason toxicity in online games is so bad is, not enough is being done to fight against it, due to arguments like these.
    The fuck? How is this argument impeding the war against toxicity. We aren't even pawns in this war. In this case, it's Hi Rez choices. Not ours.