>say there are biological differences between men and women
    >say diversity of thought is more important than diversity of appearance
    >be fired

The memo: http://gizmodo.com/exclusive-heres-t...eed-1797564320

The firing: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-diversity-pr/

Super Moderator Prestigious KingScuba's Avatar
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 956
    Achievements:
    Arm of the Law! Full Profile! Tagger First Class! Reputation Distributor Tagger Master Class
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    https://thefederalist.com/2017/08/08...ing-out-about/

I prefer that link.

@herr, I think that if you keep getting shit shoved down your throat (especially when it has no basis is science like the so called unconcious bias bs), you should be allowed to speak up without repercussion.

Also, while I think trump is one of the worst things to ever happen to America (Including as a president, a showing of just how fucked up our political leaders are, and as a representation for just how far the American public has fallen in intelligence), he should still be put on the wall of presidents. Face reality.
    Last edited by KingScuba; 08-08-2017 at 11:36 PM.
    Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios. Also I will not be able to contest your in-game ban.

Senior Member Honoured SpanglyBalls's Avatar
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 500
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered Repped! First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrRanma View Post
    Maybe that what you think, but that's not how reality works. Hell, say I was a participant in that nauseating Feminism thread from 2015 and I felt that the mods were abusing their powers to push an agenda (aka, having shit shoved down my throat) and I made a thread in the Serious Discussion forum to talk about mod abuse. Would it last very long? Not likely.

Those in power make the rules. Sometimes justly, sometimes not. Either way, if you want to keep playing ball, sometimes you have to take the umpires calls. Even if they're bullshit. This dude did not have enough common sense to see that and now he lost his job. Really freaking sucks because... working for Google... Damn...

I'm putting up with a liberal echo chamber right now, but for barely a fraction of what this guy was probably getting paid. This guy was working for fucking GOOGLE, and he went and ruined it for ethics? Fuck that -- I'd pick my wallet over ethics if I was in his situation. This guy was trying to play fucking Ghandi and shot himself in the foot.
    To be fair, he was a biologist at Google, which given its notoriety as a tech conglomerate seems odd. Also it wasn't really ethics that ruined it for him, it was his own basic stupidity in making a banal comment that is more a home in a 4 year olds playground. That is grounds for sacking in the current world we live in, as is challenging company policy, regardless of the motivation. Freedom of speech comes with the prerequisite of knowing your words carry weight and that weight can drag you down if you're not careful.

For the record I'm not convinced that firing the guy was the smartest thing to do, it creates more questions than it does provide a conclusion. Politically and socially, I think it will deepen the divide that is plainly evident in American society. Whats funny to me is that it does have that odd contradiction, in that many people, not exclusively but I'd imagine many Trump supporters in particular, will point at this and say its a prime example of SJW/feminazi/political correctness agenda, yet at the same time many of the same people would say big business should have less shackles and more freedom to get the best people for the job so the maximum revenue can be generated.

Point being you can argue this guy wasn't the best or brightest, as he was dumb enough to say this in an open internal memo. Sure, it can be said his points were valid, but if they were serious about invoking change then they would have done this quietly, instead of emblazoning it across every employees screen. So what do you dislike more? The supposed agenda, or the idiot who cut their nose off to spite their face?
    Last edited by SpanglyBalls; 08-09-2017 at 10:23 AM.
    Smite is like a toolbox, there are many means to achieve your goals, plus its full of tools

Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 172
    Achievements:
    31 days registered 100 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by SpanglyBalls View Post
    but if they were serious about invoking change then they would have done this quietly, instead of emblazoning it across every employees screen.
    I don't think "emblazoning it across every employees screen" was his intention. It's said that it went viral so it probably got to hands of someone who was not supposed to see it.
    Maybe that what you think, but that's not how reality works.
    Unfortunately yes, but that's because progressives were allowed to be relentless bullies for so long. 10-15 years ago, it was the religious right that was trying to censor fact based discussions and to a small extent they still do. Nowadays, it's progressives who are trying to censor fact based discussions, they just target different topics. Both groups have always been trying to censor topics they dislike but it's more prominent with the left now because it's, as you said, about power.
    The biggest problem with this is that what he wrote was the most benign thing ever. It was well cited, outlined problems, offered solutions and there was no rude language in it. Yes, he lost a job at Google but it's also an opportunity for him and the company he will agree to work for because "Hey, well cited, reasonable and constructive opinions will not get you fired here!" is something you can turn into a commodity in a world that's being choked more and more by progressives.

Senior Member Honoured SpanglyBalls's Avatar
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 500
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered Repped! First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by jdouci View Post
    I don't think "emblazoning it across every employees screen" was his intention. It's said that it went viral so it probably got to hands of someone who was not supposed to see it.

Unfortunately yes, but that's because progressives were allowed to be relentless bullies for so long. 10-15 years ago, it was the religious right that was trying to censor fact based discussions and to a small extent they still do. Nowadays, it's progressives who are trying to censor fact based discussions, they just target different topics. Both groups have always been trying to censor topics they dislike but it's more prominent with the left now because it's, as you said, about power.
    The biggest problem with this is that what he wrote was the most benign thing ever. It was well cited, outlined problems, offered solutions and there was no rude language in it. Yes, he lost a job at Google but it's also an opportunity for him and the company he will agree to work for because "Hey, well cited, reasonable and constructive opinions will not get you fired here!" is something you can turn into a commodity in a world that's being choked more and more by progressives.
    It was an internal memo which was open for all to see. That it went viral actually appears to me to be a deliberate attempt to conflagrate the situation and response to it.

Like I said, I don't think he should have been fired, from what I read he was trying to promote diversity, the problem came from him citing studies, which is fine, but interspersed were also a few generalities, which automatically gave ammunition to people that believe they are special because of how offended they can be at a professional level. Despite whatever his intentions might have been, it gets lost in the sea of salty snowflakes screaming for heads to roll .

Which is the true irony in this piece. The guy that was seemingly attempting to get Google and its staff to not conform to preconceptions of gender and to think outside of the insular bubble that was accepted as being ok for its expediency for Google is suddenly the bad guy, all because there are people who would rather be offended than think, and because the US media is shamelessly purporting its agenda and narrative instead of the facts.

No big surprise there.
    Smite is like a toolbox, there are many means to achieve your goals, plus its full of tools

Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 233
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class 1 year registered Conversation Starter 5000 Experience Points Repped! Second Class
    Yeah, it wasn't the smartest thing he could've done, but it didn't really turn out badly for him, it went viral and now all of this is causing controversy, not only in the company he worked for but on the internet, even though I don't think he planned that I think he's glad that happened, and then, I think that the same popularity the video got would make him get a job.
    Favorite gods: Nemesis, Ne Zha, Janus, Apollo, Cabrakan, Freya, Chaac

Super Moderator Prestigious KingScuba's Avatar
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 956
    Achievements:
    Arm of the Law! Full Profile! Tagger First Class! Reputation Distributor Tagger Master Class
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Quote Originally Posted by SpanglyBalls View Post
    It was an internal memo which was open for all to see. That it went viral actually appears to me to be a deliberate attempt to conflagrate the situation and response to it.
    Of course someone did. They wanted to give google a massive middle finger.

I'm putting up with a liberal echo chamber right now, but for barely a fraction of what this guy was probably getting paid. This guy was working for fucking GOOGLE, and he went and ruined it for ethics? Fuck that -- I'd pick my wallet over ethics if I was in his situation. This guy was trying to play fucking Ghandi and shot himself in the foot.
    Just because you work for google doesn't mean you get paid well. The guy in question was probably getting decent money, but he was also higher up on the food chain.

That being said, there's plenty of places hiring. I wouldn't be surprised if someone head hunted him simply for that memo he did.

As far as being in an echo chamber, simply state "I really don't want to talk or hear about it. Please keep your discussions with me about work." That's worked well in my experience. If that doesn't work, I go over that persons head to the next boss. If that doesn't work, I go over that person's head. I don't mind stirring the pot when people annoy me for the fifteenth time with inane crap.

There's plenty of teaching jobs all over the country for exactly what you stated. Doesn't pay worth a fuck. If you don't like being in that echo chamber, it's easy to find another job.

Being satisfied with your job and most of your coworkers is important. If you don't like them, you need to pack up and find another one. Life's too short to spend the vast majority of it annoyed at something as stupid as political opinions.

And before you ask, Yes. I've done just that a few times. I also have several valuable skill sets that are rare to come across which allows me to do whatever I want. I've got 4 jobs I can be working at within the week if I get fed up with my current job. If I don't like you, I'll just find a new job that probably pays better anyways, even if I have to relocate across the country [again, something I've done several times]. All that being said, I always find a new job before moving on, get hired there, then give my current job 2 weeks notice.

Also, you're probably right about a topic about mod abuse getting shut down. My mods have never abused their powers (And I only abuse my powers on april fools days >>). We constantly let opinions everywhere in this forum be expressed, no matter how retarded they may be (here's a good example. http://forums.smitegame.com/showthre...-s-just-strong).

Usually that kind of topic is made by some butthurt twat who's angry that we don't let them hurl insults and profanity at other users (Which violated our coc). If you don't break our forum COC, we don't do anything to you, regardless of how we feel about your post.

Here's the thing about a forum. You don't have to click every topic. So it's literally impossible for something to get shoved down your throat here. So long as you keep it civil, you can disagree and debate as much as you please.
    Last edited by KingScuba; 08-15-2017 at 01:48 AM.
    Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios. Also I will not be able to contest your in-game ban.