Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: This is blasphemy, is it not?

New Member Cupidhead GloriousFire's Avatar
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 372

This is blasphemy, is it not?

Greetings, fellow Smite players. I would like to discuss a subject here, and of course keep it respectful. This is not one of those posts in which a Christian talks about how a game concerning other Gods is blasphemous (Since the word blasphemy would bring such posts to mind), it is rather related to a different matter.

In the game, the character quotes in the matches, voices of the characters when they die, the animations which play after the matches end (Whether it is a win or defeat) are all made hilarious, expected to be funny. I understand that these are done to make them funny for the players; However, some of them go beyond the standard point which makes it blasphemy. For example, consider Xing Tian's animation after the defeat. A woman, slaps what she supposed is his face, and then slaps on his other face. This is not respectful. Another example is, Loki's clone dancing like a clown (aka Shaco) in front of him (These are just examples, please keep it in mind). In another instance, Izanagi tries to attract a worthless monster and the worse is her defeat animation, in which the monster pushes her away. How absurd it is that a Goddess would try to attract a human, let alone a monster.

The second issue is some quotes and sounds make the Gods look dumb. The other one is, sexualizing a Goddess's skin, or herself. I understand that the game designers create sexy female characters for marketing; Yet they must consider the characters represent Gods, and although the beauty and elegance of a God should be shown for the greatness of the God, it's horrible to make a God in such a way to attract the fans with "Sexy women". I should add that the game is a great one and it would attract the audience for its content and gameplay, and it doesn't need to appeal to fans in such manners.

I know people reading this would tell me this is a game and I shouldn't be serious about it, or Gods don't exist. However, think about how several Christians said this game is blasphemous solely since it concerns the Gods of religions other than their own and the game just represented them, not even stating they are real and they solely regard the theme of the game as a disrespect to their religion; Let alone creating Jesus in the game and having him cry and carry his cross on his back when he loses. The Gods of other religions also have the right to be respected.

I hope you would understand my point. Thank you for reading.

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead Swoonis's Avatar
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 165
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Veteran
    I thought you religious soccer moms went extinct during the last decade.

Look behind you... no the other way... c'mon almost there! No, what are you doing? Gods above..
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 611
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    I think it's better to be showing the gods in some light then ignoring them as most people would otherwise. Also why is it always the"female" gods being sexualised? Does no one notice the male gods wear next to nothing but no one says anything. One final thing, just Google for half a second any of the gods, I'll wait........... Now in what state of dress were they in? Now compare that to site's gods and you'll see that smite actually puts clothing on their gods, and most of the clothing represents the culture they're from pretty well.

Senior Member Prestigious BobKetchup's Avatar
    In a Heinz Ketchup Bottle crying because I realized I misspelled ketchup in my location for 6 months
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 998
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Repped! Third Class Repped! First Class 10000 Experience Points Party Person
    Almost all Gods and Goddesses are incredibly handsome or beautiful and fully nude because Gods can make themselves perfect, They're gods.So I don't understand your hot girl argument.

About the insulting religions, This game is art, It's HiRez's depiction of Gods and Goddesses and how we perceive them may vary from how HiRez does and I think that's fine. I am not a religious person so maybe that's why but I really don't see the issue with them expressing how they believe the Gods would be.

Also, fiction and reality when it comes to religion only differ based on the number of followers. Do you see a big man in the sky telling us that he made the world and how to live on it? No but so many people read some book that claims there to be a God and believe it.

Due to there being no evidence any of these Gods exist it's just HiRez doing their own thing with characters from a story.
    It's like if I took Leo from Percy Jackson and shipped him with Tracer from Overwatch. Sure it's not how the art was intended to be used but fans have a right to do what they want with the characters.

I'm having lots of trouble trying to finalize and justify my statement. Does anybody know what I'm trying to say?
    Half of what I say is a joke.
    http://niceme.me/
    Survivor Ullr is Billy Mays
    My Top Warriors: Bellona Ravana Amaterasu
    My Top Assassins: Fenrir Thor Mercury
    My Top 3 Guardians: Ares Xing Tian Sobek
    My Top 3 Mages: Hades Sol Zeus
    My Top 3 Hunters: Ullr Hou Yi Medusa

Junior Member Cupidhead Lukastrukas's Avatar
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 310
    Achievements:
    Full Profile!
    hahhahahahah wtf

Senior Member Chosen ShinigamiXzero's Avatar
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 919
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points
    Most gods don't have flaws so they are shown as ideal type that most humans can't achieve which is why most have perfect features. The reason some goddess were skimpy clothes is because it is the best way to show they weren't ashamed of their bodies and probably didn't wear anything originally. Even in Christianity, the need of clothes didn't come until after the original sin.

And what could you do instead of those funny things. If they wanted to be truer to those gods people like Zeus would sleep with some random goddess for his victory and sentence someone to torture in his defeat screen

New Member Cupidhead GloriousFire's Avatar
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 372
    I understand your facts about clothing, and it was not a very important point I mentioned. The most important one was doing funny things, and don't you think slapping a God or pushing her/him is disrespectful?

Senior Member Prestigious BobKetchup's Avatar
    In a Heinz Ketchup Bottle crying because I realized I misspelled ketchup in my location for 6 months
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 998
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Repped! Third Class Repped! First Class 10000 Experience Points Party Person
    Quote Originally Posted by GloriousFire View Post
    I understand your facts about clothing, and it was not a very important point I mentioned. The most important one was doing funny things, and don't you think slapping a God or pushing her/him is disrespectful?
    It's an art interpretation by HiRez showing how they believe the Gods would interact.
    That's the point of Smite I think. How would the gods react in one huge fight? And they give the gods more colorful personalities to make the game more fun and interesting. There are people who love their main God they use because of their personality, abilities and gameplay. This game would be very unsuccessful if they didn't alter the gods in this way.
    Half of what I say is a joke.
    http://niceme.me/
    Survivor Ullr is Billy Mays
    My Top Warriors: Bellona Ravana Amaterasu
    My Top Assassins: Fenrir Thor Mercury
    My Top 3 Guardians: Ares Xing Tian Sobek
    My Top 3 Mages: Hades Sol Zeus
    My Top 3 Hunters: Ullr Hou Yi Medusa

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,035
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Repped! First Class 5000 Experience Points Veteran
    I am not sure if this is serious or not because its still just a game but.....eh
    When life gives you lemons......complain about the lemons!
    Your Daily Kappacino, Trollbuilder for fun, furry (literally too) and Salt-Injecter
    Greetings, at your service~

Senior Member Honoured RamenFrog's Avatar
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 515
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 1000 Experience Points Repped! Second Class Veteran
    Are we really to the point of arguing what's considered funny or not now? As someone who has Xing to 10, his defeat screen hasn't even registered to me. I didn't even remember what it was to be honest. Most people may actually be excited about what the victory/defeat screens pop up with but for me they mean jack diddly squat.

Furthermore, as for your Christian argument about respect to other religions (I think I read that right, I had to sit there for a moment), most of the pantheons relating to them are long since dead (aka Mayan gods for example). The only active ones happen to be Hinduism and probably some aspects of the Japanese pantheon (Shintoism). Ironically the only people who complained about the Hindu gods happened to be westerners from what I understand, not natives who actively practice the religion. We'd probably have Christian themed characters in here if the backlash of North America (and potentially EU) wasn't going to be an outright witch-hunt.