Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Full Lore Paradox

Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 471
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Conversation Starter Full Profile! Repped! Third Class 3 months registered

The Full Lore Paradox

Disclaimer: If Anyone Even TRIES To Tell Something About The Fact That A God Lacks Something Based On The Lore, Do Not Reply, and Leave This Thread

E.G. You Think Artemis' Boar should not be named Tusky, and you complain.. DON'T, at least not here.

Wait, just asking, Is Paradox the right word? If it isn't I'll change it onto problem, tell me that in the thread.

Now, A While ago I made a thread about Visual Rework, and I also saw that Medusa Rework thing... someone, if I recall, ArsenalIV said that If we are going Full Lore, then Medusa would be nothing but a head in a shield.

That got me thinking about the Paradoxes and Problems of going full lore.

Now, we must note that despite the fact Smite is INSPIRED from Real Life Mythology, It's existence in real life is PURELY FICTION, and is SEPARATE from Real Life, despite the inspiration.

Note:
    Btw Real Life Mythology doesn't mean real Canonically in our world, cause who the fuck knows.
    Note close

Now, I can conclude that Smite is fiction cause:

1. Gods from Mythology has never met before, par Egyptian gods that receive some influence from Romans, but that doesn't really count doesn't it?
    2. There are weapons and art (specifically in Skins) that show some definite evidence of Smite's existence in a real world timeline, either futuristic or far in the past.. instead of the time where Mythical stories take place
    3. Whatever caused these War Of The Gods seem to unexist in Mythology
    4. Creatures like Gold Fury and Fire Giant existing, cause chances are they come from other Pantheons of the map theme. Fire Giant seems to be Surtr from Norse, just a thought.

Fact 2 is very important if you go full lore:

Maybe, just Maybe, Artemis decided to have fun in the a century where pets MUST be named and gave The Calydonian Boar a proper name? Tusky sounds cute

Maybe, since people nowadays know Cupid as a flying baby, that's the default image people know now, thus he changed his form, to be more recognizable

Now, all I said above is maybe, but what are some defined things from all of this?

First of all.. you can't go full lore in a game like Smite, and it is possible for things to be different canonically, it is fiction after all. A god can be inspired from the mythological version and shows up differently

Also remember that the Timeline in Smite is different, thus Medusa and Ymir can be alive, and Scylla can show outside of the oceans.

Now, I'm just saying to all of you hardheaded, annoying mythology fans, that you should respect whatever Hirez gives us, cause again, THE ENTIRE GAME IS FICTION, despite taking inspiration from Mythology.

Also note that I know Mythology pretty well, and this shows that I have some knowledge when talking about lore.

In conclusion:

The game itself doesn't exist in full lore, so going full lore would mean that this game won't exist in the first place. If you might state something like "But that's the game, We are talking about characters" then shut the fuck up and think that the characters are actually a part of the game.

Sorry for the cussing, I need to do this with full feeling
    I Love Rick Riordan's Books! Except Kane...
    Mains:
    Guardians: Ares, Athena, Fafnir
    Mage: Scylla, Isis
    Hunters: Hou Yi, Apollo
    If Someone Is Feeling Generous And Would Like To Donate Gems For Me, I'd Appreciate It My Mom's Strict About Minors Spending Money On Games

Senior Member Chosen BakaCircle9's Avatar
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 474
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Sissyum View Post
    4. Creatures like Gold Fury and Fire Giant existing, cause chances are they come from other Pantheons of the map theme. Fire Giant seems to be Surtr from Norse, just a thought.
    in the end of ragnarok Surtr will explode himself and burn entire asgard to the ashes. if fire giant would be Surtr, conquest matches would last until first(and last) fire giant kill, after that he would explode and instakill all gods, towers, phoenixes and titans, also all minions and jungle monsters...
    TOP 3 most stupid things i've ever see in this forum:
    she can do 1000 dmg at level 3 by just her 2-and passive
    her 3 should be more like medusa moving backwards movement penalty reduced only by 50%
    Her ult now is her 2 but with lower damage but same cooldown!
    my YouTube channel

Senior Member Infamous Outso187's Avatar
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,183
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Full Profile! Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class Reputation Distributor
    Quote Originally Posted by BakaCircle9 View Post
    in the end of ragnarok Surtr will explode himself and burn entire asgard to the ashes. if fire giant would be Surtr, conquest matches would last until first(and last) fire giant kill, after that he would explode and instakill all gods, towers, phoenixes and titans, also all minions and jungle monsters...
    Are you even serious...whole point of the thread is that Smite doesn't try to be exact lore accurate for good reasons. And you found a thing to nitpick on immediately.
    Rip & Tear

A Tragic Product of Swedish Advertising Demigod SirKeksalot's Avatar
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 219
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Reputation Distributor 25000 Experience Points Repped! First Class Full Profile!
    The problem is the line between artistic liberty and faithfulness to the source material. Apollo not having a bow is fine because he's still very recognizably Apollo. Not only does he look the part, he acts the part, too. Hades, on the other hand, has no attributes that make him recognizable as Hades. He does not look like Hades and he's an outright bad guy, which directly contrasts Hades's character.

To a degree, this is also one of the problems Bayformers faces. Ironhide has no visual or behavioral indicators that give him away as being adapted from previous incarnations of the character; in fact, he's almost devoid of personality entirely. Is it really accurate to say he's still Ironhide, then? By contrast, Optimus--at least in the first film; he breaks character a lot as the series goes on--both looks and acts like the original Optimus, and is therefore one of the few good translations of a classic Transformers character in the franchise (again, at least in the first film).

It's really a matter of whether or not the changes are too much. Janus can be a robot as long as he's still recognizably Janus. Someone who died can be brought back to life if it's explained. But if you strip a character of what makes them who they are, then you're doing a poor job of adapting them into new media.
    Last edited by SirKeksalot; 07-31-2017 at 08:13 PM.
    I tell people I'm bi, but what I really mean is [B] I O N I C L E

Muh Concepts

Senior Member Prestigious Charmander787's Avatar
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 42
    Achievements:
    Party Person Tagger Third Class Full Profile! 10000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Well this is a game

And it doesnt advertise it as being 100% Lore accurate (COUGH COUGH COD WW2)

It just advertises as the battlegrounds of the gods (And goddesses for those SJWs): A game where you can play as your favorite deities from different mythologies/religions.

Why do you need 60 FPS? The human eye can only see 64 megabytes of RAM.

Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Conversation Starter Full Profile! Repped! Third Class 3 months registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmander787 View Post
    Well this is a game

And it doesnt advertise it as being 100% Lore accurate (COUGH COUGH COD WW2)

It just advertises as the battlegrounds of the gods (And goddesses for those SJWs): A game where you can play as your favorite deities from different mythologies/religions.
    Exactly

/10char

Senior Member Honoured LittlePebble02's Avatar
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 791
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Repped! Second Class 1 year registered
    But the characters still have to embody who they are. And Hades doesn't do that.

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by LittlePebble02 View Post
    But the characters still have to embody who they are. And Hades doesn't do that.
    Maybe Hirez learned about Hades via the Hercules disney movie.

And yes, Hades is practically a man with anger issues

Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 665
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Veteran
    Smite doesn't boast that its a 100% lore accurate, this is true. The game is loosely adapted from mythologies and should be viewed as a fictional adaptation, rather than a history lesson in the old relegions.
    That being said, there is a vast difference between creative freedom and completely ignoring the source material. It isn't just Hades, Smite has several gods that doesn't bear any resemblance to their mythology counterparts.

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Armaroz View Post
    Smite doesn't boast that its a 100% lore accurate, this is true. The game is loosely adapted from mythologies and should be viewed as a fictional adaptation, rather than a history lesson in the old relegions.
    That being said, there is a vast difference between creative freedom and completely ignoring the source material. It isn't just Hades, Smite has several gods that doesn't bear any resemblance to their mythology counterparts.
    Yeah I agree with that, but any examples par Hades?

If you say bowless Apollo, don't post it here