Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why there should be 5 bans in duel

Junior Member Cupidhead Marcelbro's Avatar
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 298
    Achievements:
    3 months registered 500 Experience Points

Angry Why there should be 5 bans in duel

As of right now, there are too many gods in the current meta that "automatically win" when selected. Since fatalis has been removed from the game, one might think the relm of hunters is over and OP gods are now not OP. This might be true in some cases, like Apollo or Anhur. However, another meta has arrived. All those assassins and warriors that absolutely reck, are now back into the game. Without fatalis, there is no way to successfully kite your opponent as a hunter. The warrior's class only downside is now none-existent. Gods such as Ravana, Osiris, Erlang, Belona can dominate now. Most people believe this is a fun change, but they do not realize what is actually happening. Because of this switch, now all the low tier gods of duel, mostly assassins and mages (and gaurdians), are now even more horrendous than before. Gods that require you to build items catered to them specifically, such as a Mercury, Au Kuang, Ah Puch, etc, are now an instant losses if your opponent is smart in his/her selection. Gods who have a certain niche and who are often the most fun to play, are completely unpick-able in duel. Maybe in lower levels, or for the people who are just experts at these gods, niche selections can work. But in average to higher level game-play, there is nothing you can do that can win you the game. For example, I just lost a game as a Vulcan to a Bakasura. The bans included the usual, (He bo, AMC, Kali, Skadi, Cernenous, Medusa), and for some reason, I could not win. I hit my meatball every single time he jumped in on me to get him off of me. But he could always just ult in front of me and run after me because his speed was much greater than mine. Plus his crazy damage output and sustain did not help either. I never had a misplay. I hit everything. Yet, I still got beat horribly. You make think I just got unlucky. "Oh its just a counter match-up, unfortunate." This is not the case. There were still an abundance of OP gods left that could completely destroy Vulcan. There was still Chronos, Chang'e, Anubis, and Freya, that I should have been nervous about getting matched-up with. Every one of those gods could have beaten a Vulcan even on Vulcan's best day. This unbalance is made from the game meta of Conquest. I understand that. However there is no reason to let it control duel. If there are 5 bans. People could have a chance to analyze what god to pick, and ban counter match-ups accordingly. With the current meta containing so many OP gods, 3 bans is not enough to leave the niche characters open. There is too much risk. And if you only ban the counter match-ups, then "automatic win" gods are still left open. There needs to be 5 bans to make the game fair and enjoyable. To give one example, if I wanted to play Awilix and be confident I could have a good and fair game, i would have to ban Apollo, Cernenous, and Freya first of all. These are characters with no leap or jump, and a hard CC, ensuring there is always an escape from Awilix. With these bans though, who is still left open? Skadi, He bo, Bakasura, Kali, AMC, Chang'e, and Medusa. Each of these gods that are left are S or S+ tier gods in duel. (This is a very common ranking for them from among top and average duelers). And my opponent can only ban 3 of them. There is just not enough bans. There needs to be more.

Senior Member Chosen
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 716
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points 1 year registered Repped! Second Class
    I don't see a point to this, it will always feel like there isn't enough bans. Besides, why should such a large amount of gods simply not be allowed to be picked? That would be 10 gods total, likely involving the same ones most games. As for Vulcan losing to bakasura, yeah it can be hard for Vulcan to beat most gods if the player is good but you could have built a gem of iso or something. If he was so much faster than you, mages just recently got a lot more options for movement so that shouldn't really be an excuse in itself. The real problem is how easy magical damage is mitigated compared to physical, magical gods in general will almost always be at a disadvantage in a 1v1 game mode. Still, you can't expect to ban all the gods you might have a hard time against just so you can feel you aren't at a disadvantage no matter what god you pick. Even at 10 bans each you'd find there are still going to be the strong god choices and the weak ones, and you'll still end up in a match you can't win every once in awhile.

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 850
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 1 year registered 1000 Experience Points Conversation Starter
    Ok so what i got out of this is....you main an hunter and relied on hf as a crutch, had no problem running around god mode, but now you dodnt have it you want more bans to make it easier for you as a hunter main?

why wasnt this brought up when you were running around god moding?

hmmm, interesting

Member Follower xDarksacrificex's Avatar
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 418
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Veteran Repped! Third Class Full Profile!
    I haven't play duel in this split due to Skadi ult nerf(not sure how she would perform after that so I haven't played duel), but back then where kaldr was immune to dmg for few seconds, my fatalis was called, Kaldr(it chased kills for me). I was building the flat pen items and titans bane, and then movement speed items/raw power items. Each ability did around 400 dmg and Kaldr dash did 400 dmg aswell This granted me diamond 2 division

Achievements:
    I understand this. And I understand I am not the best player in the world. But there still should be something else done to mitigate the unfairness. 5 bans could help this issue. I am not offering a full blown solution. You are right, there will always be gods that are better than others. Still though, something can be done to make it a bit more fair. And that is add 2 more bans.

Achievements:
    No actually quite the opposite. I love playing mages in duel. They are way more fun. Hunters were broken in duel especially in the mid to late game, and now there not. This I am happy about. What I am complaining about is the fact that warriors and some mages are way more over powered because they are allowed to shine. Lower tier gods who were hard before, are now impossible.

Super Moderator Godlike RainbowSplat's Avatar
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 933
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class Reputation Distributor Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class Full Profile!
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Hunters and Magical Hunters still dominate Duel Ranked with few exceptions like He Bo who is true god of Duel Ranked
    *Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.*

Senior Member Prestigious Charmander787's Avatar
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 42
    Achievements:
    Party Person Tagger Third Class Full Profile! 10000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    I dont think Duel was ever supposed to be the most competitive mode

Why do you need 60 FPS? The human eye can only see 64 megabytes of RAM.

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 850
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 1 year registered 1000 Experience Points Conversation Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by marcelbro View Post
    i understand this. And i understand i am not the best player in the world. But there still should be something else done to mitigate the unfairness. 5 bans could help this issue. I am not offering a full blown solution. You are right, there will always be gods that are better than others. Still though, something can be done to make it a bit more fair. And that is add 2 more bans.

dont recall any threads started by you about unfairness when youre running around with hf on your hunter. Now shoe is on the other foot and you want hirez to accomodate you

Senior Member Chosen ShinigamiXzero's Avatar
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 919
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points
    I don't agree with some of your reasons behind wanting more bans but I feel with the amount of gods in the game. All ranked modes could use a few more bans. Currently in the SPL their simply not enough bans to block out the out right broken gods and the enemy team other strong picks.