Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Etheral Staff.

Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 102
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points Veteran

Etheral Staff.

So after some time has passed now i believe we all can say Hi-Rez failed to make the item more "popular".

If i compare it to now and back then i at least saw it sometimes back then but now ? Nothing. The passive is faaaaar to weak to consider it as reason for purchasing it. Polynomicon or Soul Reaver do a better job. The base stats are good but other options are clearly better. I seriously never see that item build regardless of the mode i play.

My suggestion is to give Etheral its old passive back so it would work for tanky mage builds again. Every mage that builds Sash could make use of that item.

So what are your experiences with the new Etheral Staff ? Top or Flop ?
    Everything begins in darkness, and also ends.The heart is no different.
    Darkness sprouds within it- it growns, consumes it.
    Such is its nature.
    In the end, every heart returns to the darkness whence it came.

A Tragic Product of Swedish Advertising Demigod SirKeksalot's Avatar
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 219
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Reputation Distributor 25000 Experience Points Repped! First Class Full Profile!
    The item wants so badly to be a magical Qin's, yet it has no real advantage over any other items of its type.
    I tell people I'm bi, but what I really mean is [B] I O N I C L E

Muh Concepts

Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 1,712
    Achievements:
    Veteran Repped! First Class Reputation Distributor Party Person Discussion Ender
    I like it in my pen builds, good stats all around and is cheaper than Soul Reaver.
    Your Local Resident Trash Doggo
    I'm cheating on Anubis, Camazotz is in the dumpster now.

The Mad Hatter Prestigious Relanah's Avatar
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 938
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points Repped! First Class
    Item is decent. I see it a fair bit.

It has okay stats, 90 power, 200 health and 20% CCR are nice.

Proc is not the best, but it helps. I mean, for pure burst Soul Reaver is better due to the additional 5% damage and it being true damage.

However, the more frequent procs of ES make it quite potent when consistently poking, especially since its CD lines up rather nicely with many mages skill CD's.

I mean, 5% max health is about 95-135 damage. Which if using it on a god like Scylla, is effectively giving one of her 90% scaling skills 105+ power.

More typical mages with ~60-70% scaling are getting effectively 133-123+ extra power for those skills.

But that's the thing, everyone looks at it, sees the percent damage and immediately think "OMG, It's trying to be a tank buster like Qin's!" or "OMG, it wants you to burst hard like Soul Reaver!" when in reality, it's mostly just a decently statted item, that can effectively just boost up one of your primary damage sources by a decent amount.

Outside of this particular comparison, I personally don't pick it up too much. Mostly because there's quite a lot of good mage items for dealing more damage (Bancroft, Desolation and Divine Ruin) which are cheaper than it, so let you powerspike a bit sooner. While the likes of Isolation, being literally the same price and location also is significant, since there are many gods that can get some nice work from making all their abilities slow...

So yeah, it's not bad to be honest. But it feels a bit too expensive to be justifiably core, especially given how little a couple of hundred points of health really means on a squishy mage. Like, at 2400-2500g maybe it'd see more use? As it is, it's more expensive than Deso, which gives all around great stats and is still kind of a "Well, my core items are done, what shall I put in the last 2 slots" thing. Given your core will consist of Boots, early power item (Like Bancrofts or a stacking item), Pen and Tahuti.
    Preferred Gods:
    Aphrodite, Awilix, BAEllona, Da Ji, Discordia, Fenrir, Janus, Jing Bae, Nike, Nox, Skadi, Sol and The Morrigan.

We need more kawaii skins!

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Relanah View Post
    I mean, 5% max health is about 95-135 damage. Which if using it on a god like Scylla, is effectively giving one of her 90% scaling skills 105+ power.
    Wouldnt it be 50 dmg per 1000 health ? So the max dmg Etheral could do would be around 150 dmg. Then the magical def comes into play because it deals magical dmg equal to 5% of your health. So tanks and warriors mostly dont even realize you even have that item. And while Etheral has good base stats other items are better and give more dmg and a better passive.(mostly the items you just mentioned+ Poly)

But yes the gold could be decreased but i doupt it would kick other items from the ladder.
    Such is its nature.

A Tragic Product of Swedish Advertising Demigod SirKeksalot's Avatar
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 219
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Reputation Distributor 25000 Experience Points Repped! First Class Full Profile!
    Quote Originally Posted by Relanah View Post
    For Ethereal to give you 135 bonus damage, your target needs 2700 HP. At that point, there's no point in trying to burst them down because they're probably a tank. If Ethereal would add 95 damage, you'd just get more from buying an item with more power and/or pen, or even just Iso for the slow. The item's CD prevents it from actually being effective. It's not good.
    I tell people I'm bi, but what I really mean is [B] I O N I C L E

Muh Concepts

Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 186
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Remove book of the dead.

Take ethereal staff keep its stats and turn it into an item that gives you hp x% hp shield upon killing enemies, same as bloodforge.
    While also buffing your damage by 10% and pen 10.

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Playfunplax View Post
    Remove book of the dead.

Take ethereal staff keep its stats and turn it into an item that gives you hp x% hp shield upon killing enemies, same as bloodforge.
    While also buffing your damage by 10% and pen 10.

Why would you remove a good Magical life steal item to buff a weaker item ?
    Such is its nature.

The Mad Hatter Prestigious Relanah's Avatar
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 938
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points Repped! First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichimarou View Post
    Wouldnt it be 50 dmg per 1000 health ?
    Yes.

Health pools at level 20 range from 1900-2300. But 2300 health Guardians often pick up a Thebes or Heart+Sov to get a 2700 life pool.

Hence, 95-135 damage.

Quote Originally Posted by SirKeksalot View Post
    For Ethereal to give you 135 bonus damage, your target needs 2700 HP. At that point, there's no point in trying to burst them down because they're probably a tank.
    Please highlight where I said you were trying to burst down the target?

Also, could you read the section where I mentioned how it was wrong to think of Ethereal as an item that you pick up to try and burst targets?

Really hurts your credibility when you flat out ignore fairly important sections of people's comments...

If Ethereal would add 95 damage, you'd just get more from buying an item with more power and/or pen, or even just Iso for the slow. The item's CD prevents it from actually being effective. It's not good.
    The thing is, there isn't items that have more power.

Since the fucking thing has 90 power on it already, this on top of the proc worth 105 power (ON A GOD THAT HAS ONE OF THE HIGHEST SCALING ABILITIES) means that Ethereal is effectively giving 195 power for an ability. If you then look at the numbers from an average god, it's giving ~223-213 power.

So yeah, sure, find me an item that will give 230+ power (Or enough pen to turn a 90-100 power item into effectively that) that ISN'T ALREADY part of your core build and I will concede that Ethereal Staff is a pile of shit that you always point out on.

Literally the only item I can think of that comes close is Bancroft because it can give you 200 power. But lo and behold, you also consider that a pile of shit too.

So what else? Oh, Iso with only 90 power? Fucking hell...
    Preferred Gods:
    Aphrodite, Awilix, BAEllona, Da Ji, Discordia, Fenrir, Janus, Jing Bae, Nike, Nox, Skadi, Sol and The Morrigan.

We need more kawaii skins!

Senior Member Honoured
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 182
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points Veteran Party Person
    I dont see the point of this item, as a mage i want dmg and 200 hp doesnt help me compared to destroying my enemies with a item with pen or more dmg

It is mostly a guardian in solo lane item or for mages that wanna be more tanky like zong and hades

Tanky/health items arent that poppular on mages these day