Thread: Toxicity of King Hercules

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 11
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points

Unhappy Toxicity of King Hercules

Can we take a moment to address the rising levels of toxicity in the new adventure mode?

Easy mode started off brilliantly.

The difficulty made it a challenge for newcomers, and the idea of having to 'level up' with found items was a great way to keep players engaged. Unfortunately, by the end of the first day the mode was live, people were already forcing speed runs upon players that just wanted to explore and enjoy the new adventure.

Then there's hard mode...

Most players that try hard mode for the first time are in for a rude awakening, where they will quickly realize that their favorite gods might not be viable options and that their meager arsenal of cobbled-together items simply won't cut it. This is fine initially, as it encourages players to hone their skill, strategy, and items in order to survive. Sadly, hard mode is prohibitively difficult, and unless you play with a seasoned party with a good team comp and optimized items, you don't stand a chance at succeeding. Buffs go a long way in helping, but unless your entire party has shelled out gems for the event, those aren't a reliable option.

My point?

This setup is creating levels of toxicity that I have never seen in Smite before. Solo-queueing is an absolute nightmare, because you never know if your party will have any concept of strategy, optimized (or even vaguely appropriate) items, or buffs. Heaven help you if you try running with an elite group without posessing all of those things.

I keep seeing players get roasted for any of a number of 'sins:'
    •Not having a 'full item build.'
    •Playing a character that isn't optimized (of which there are only about 10, by my count).
    •Deviating even slightly from what one player deems to be an ideal item build.
    •Running an item that either stacks or has a passive that only procs on gods.
    •Going out of the way to farm a chest.
    •Not knowing how to fight the boar/spiders/lion/hydra.

Since the difficulty level is so unforgiving, being on either end of any of these examples is frustrating, and since at least one of them is an issue in nearly every game, that frustration level builds quickly. Frustrated players are easier to anger, and when you're just trying to make it to the final boss after hours of bad run after bad run, it's hard NOT to get snippy with the shortcomings of other players.

I commonly see the more experienced players become irritable with the newer ones, which results in name-calling, feed-tantrums, arguments, early surrenders (before the 1-minute mark), or simple abandonment of the match. When one player out of three becomes explicitly toxic or drops out, the other two players are left in a lurch, and are often times out the cost of their buffs from such a failed run.

I find myself spending a fair portion of each play session explaining things to newcomers, as patiently as I can, but after 40 straight runs with no success, I become grumpy despite my best intentions.

A lot of the time, I will suggest that struggling players try using the buffs that can be purchased at the church. These must not be adequately displayed, because the response is almost unanomously surprise and curiosity. Unfortunately, when the majority of them try to secure these buffs, they discover that the pay-wall prevents them from doing so, and immediately become either dejected or enraged, which only further increases the overall toxicity in the mode.

I have a few suggestions about how the game mode could be altered to accomodate this toxicity, but seeing as how it's a temporary mode, I doubt it would be worth my time to list them. Instead, some suggestions for players to help with the issue.
    •If someone has a bad or incomplete item build, take a moment at the beginning of the match to explain WHY their choices are not to your liking, but be polite about it.
    •Rather than getting frustrated with the bad players, try to help them learn to be better. If I help a player learn to fight the boar properly, they will know how when YOU play with them, and vice versa. Or heck, they might even teach others, and those others might teach others.
    •If you play with someone that suits your play-level expectations, ask them to party with you. Removing yourselves from solo queue is half the battle if you want to play with a guaranteed level of people.
    •Don't autolock. Be willing to fill a role other than the one you initially select if the party comp requires it. There are no quests in adventure mode that require playing a specific class, pantheon, or character, so there's no excuse to be inflexible.
    •If you're frustrated, stop queueing hard mode. Take a break, play another game mode, or queue easy for a quick pub-stomp to put you back into a good mood.

...And what's the deal with all the Cernunnos players? I haven't seen this many auto-lockers since the torrents of Lokis in my low-level arena days.

Member Follower xDarksacrificex's Avatar
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 532
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Veteran Repped! Third Class
    So I don't instalock hunter for who I have the full build, and have to play tank or healer with half items missing for them(it's just example, I could have perfect build for healer but for others not). Great tip! Then get roasted for shit build or not having some items!

Junior Member Senior Minion Reikazami's Avatar
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 466
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 250 Experience Points 3 months registered
    instalocking just puts your teammates in the same position, what if they only have items for a hunter as well but they solo que and a person just instalocks in the only role they had any possibility of using, then again why is people going into hard mode without having all the items in case something like this happens?
    Demons run, when a good man goes to war.

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 563
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Veteran
    why are people even playing this game. I mean there are literally hundreds of mmo's that do this . Smite is not the game to play if you want this adventure mode.

Member Follower xDarksacrificex's Avatar
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 532
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Veteran Repped! Third Class
    @Reikazami well, if such things happen, then I just wait for the counter reaching 0. I am done with adventures so don't have a problem with it anymore, but back then I only was waiting for "perfect team" with "perfect items". Troll pick in lobby, I don't pick a god. Troll items, I did F6 at beginning and if team F7 then I went to every single camp and pulled all creatures then I just VVGF I would not like to waste time on a run that would end either on boar, spider cave, lion, or on hydra since I am pretty sure it's not gonna work. I couldn't win with perfect teams sometimes then how I am supposted to win with troll teams? Why should I bother with them and "at least try". I bet I have tried way too much and simply got tired of this, all I wanted was to kill hydra not to try kill hydra.

@pepsie people play this for rewards. If someone got rewards I doubt that he plays for fun as he doesn't get anything for playing this, just some small amount of favors...

Junior Member Minion sammichito's Avatar
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 286
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points
    I have actually been enjoying the toxicity It's fun to watch people who are objectively worse at the game than me talk shit for no reason, my only real complaint is that hirez only really punishes people who use racial slurs other then that smoke a bowl and do whatever you want