Thread: Somnus the god of sleep

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead Kyuss69172's Avatar
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 314
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points

Somnus the god of sleep

Hi,

I suggest to add a mechanic concept for Smite battlegrounds, a timer system like Dota 2 and Dota 1 from Warcraft III with night and day.

Example :

And this is my concept god for Smite :

Somnus the god of sleep

Image :

Pantheon : Roman SPQR

Class : Mage (Assassin like Ao Kuang Nightmare form and true Mage like Hell with dream form )

PASSIVE Night and Day : Somnus change appearance depending the hour of the day if daylight he become the god of dreams and this is the night he become the god of nightmares.

Repair rest(Dreams form)/Hypnosis(Nightmare form) : Somnus give a repair rest to the targeted god and heal him but he cant move during the effect, moving cancelled the spell.Somnus hypnotize the enemy god and force him to sleep during 3 seconds.He can't move during the effect.

Sleepwalk(Dream form)/Torment(Nightmare form): Somnus give sleepwalk to himself or ally god, the target gain invisibility and movement speed.The first attack is a critical shot if Sleepwalk is cancelled by an attack.Somnus torment enemies with a chain of negatives vibes, targeted enemies see their physical or magical power lowering 30 and can't use spells during 5 seconds.

Awakening(Dream form)/Insomnia (Nightmare form): Somnus wake a sleepy ally (by Repair rest) and give him bonus health and damages during 5 attacks.Somnus wake brutally an enemy god (by Hypnosis) and force him to attacks his allies.

ULTIMATE Life is a dream(Dream form)/Life is a nightmare(Nigthmare form): Somnus give a large benediction of all allies but he can't move during the channeling.Somnus give a large curse to all enemies.
    Benediction(Dream form) :
    Invulnerability 5 seconds
    If a god die his respawn timer lowering to 50%
    Bonus damages 5 seconds

Curse (Nightmare form)

Vulnerability to damages 50 during 5 seconds
    So hard to resurrect : increased to 50%
    All gods revealed during 5 seconds

This god is linked to the mechanic concept because depending to the timer with Day/Night alternative.
    Last edited by Kyuss69172; 06-08-2017 at 03:28 PM.

Senior Member Chosen GameVeteranAzure's Avatar
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 904
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points Veteran
    Ok so I see one big glaring issue with this God.

How exactly is he changing between the day and night forms of his passive/abilities?

You are stating that it is by the day-night cycle. But no game mode in Smite has something like that (and would be odd to just add one in for a single god).

If you mean by the actual time of day in real life...that is beyond broken and needs serious changing. As hey, maybe I have friends who live across the pond and play Smite...so when they play the god it is in its night form, but I play it and it is in its day form.

You would need an ability to actively change between forms, otherwise what you have here is not only broken, but undoable.
    Yeah...Right...Sure...And I'm The King of England!
    If it works in your favor, don't question it.
    Sacrifices had to be made.
    He who knows nothing, doubts nothing.
    Xbox GT: AlchemistAzure
    Smite IGN: MordridtheBlack

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead Kyuss69172's Avatar
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 314
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by GameVeteranAzure View Post
    Ok so I see one big glaring issue with this God.

How exactly is he changing between the day and night forms of his passive/abilities?

You are stating that it is by the day-night cycle. But no game mode in Smite has something like that (and would be odd to just add one in for a single god).

If you mean by the actual time of day in real life...that is beyond broken and needs serious changing. As hey, maybe I have friends who live across the pond and play Smite...so when they play the god it is in its night form, but I play it and it is in its day form.

You would need an ability to actively change between forms, otherwise what you have here is not only broken, but undoable.
    that's works with timer but Smite need to add a timer based on the timer of Warcraft III with arrangements every 5 minutes of the game per example, Somnus change his form.

Junior Member Cupidhead SomeJibbaHuff's Avatar
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 240
    Achievements:
    7 days registered 100 Experience Points
    I think the passive should work like a clock that is cut in half for each form. It can still change every 5 minutes.

Senior Member Chosen GameVeteranAzure's Avatar
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 904
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points Veteran
    honestly an ability that controls which form he is in is your best bet.

having it on that long of a timer would feel clunky as with some matches you might only get 2 or 3 changes, whiles others you'd change like 20 times.

having it on a shorter timer would make using him difficult as you would really need to carefully plan your ganks and advances in lane ahead of time to accomodate the change.

but with an ability that controls it (maybe something like Amateratsu) it allows you more freedom over when you can use your abilities
    Yeah...Right...Sure...And I'm The King of England!
    If it works in your favor, don't question it.
    Sacrifices had to be made.
    He who knows nothing, doubts nothing.
    Xbox GT: AlchemistAzure
    Smite IGN: MordridtheBlack

Member Follower Epibrutemetheos's Avatar
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 343
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    I am actually fine with the idea of it being a on a timer. Adds a switching god to the game with a unique system. Having a short timer though is crucial to the concept; it can't be done like the DOTA system, which applies to multiple characters and is in general different from Smite. But the main idea could still be modified to fit this one god. He would be difficult to play in comparison to other switch gods who take much more advantage of quick switching like Ullr's axe1-switch-bow1-basic-bow3 combo. But just think of it more like Tyr with no CD. You have a god who is extremely based on skill in correct timing, which is what most of his kit is based on anyways, time. I would recommend a timed switch somewhere between 40 - 100 seconds, perhaps also with either adding or subtracting per level, depending on whether you want strong early or late game.

I will say it is a little annoying to me you don't mention any damages (and very few numbers overall, with no scaling) in your description. It's ok, but I just prefer a bit more specificity, especially when its a god that has so much CC and so many buffs/debuffs like yours, bit hard to tell if balanced.

As far as to actual fixes:
    Global ults are extremely powerful. Invulnerability for just 2 seconds like Aegis or Aphrodite ult is extremely powerful. 5 second global Aegis? most OP thing I ever seen bruh, and then you added more buffs and debuffs to it. Make it increase protections to decrease damage like flipping the enemy invulnerability, and should be more fine.

This god would be a very interesting ganker and team-fighter, just needs a bit more adjustment to Smite numbers.

GOD CONCEPT & SKIN HUB

If I like you, I will open doors for you, give you two helping hands, and invite you over my threshold.
    If I don't like you, I will snipe you in the face, and then have all my friends come and beat up all of your friends.
    Sincerely, Janus