Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: A Solid Argument For Limited Skin Re-Releases

New Member Cupidhead Ken_Silver's Avatar
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 333
    The reason why I said re-color them is because the "One time ONLY" skins have to stay one time only. Hi-Rez said before that they had to change the skin system from what it was, so that they can make a profit.

Source: https://www.smitegame.com/direct-exc...limited-skins/

So if they start releasing the exact same "One Time Limited Exclusive" after the one time event, people will explode. This already happened with the Pool Poseidon skin. (Which to get again, people had to pay $1000 USD. And the community STILL backlashed.)

Keeping that in mind, that was why I suggested re-skins of the LE skins. So that those people who got the one and only won't feel alienated. After all, they're the ones giving Hi-Rez the money then and now.

But this purchase process doesn't work in the long term, because there will be a ton of skins that are never available to new players, unless Hi-Rez goes back on their word. So that's why re-released LE skins would be recolored. Of course, I wouldn't want them to be BAD re-colors. But at least players would get to use those VA's and models. And Hi-Rez wouldn't be creating a unique model, etc just for a single one time sale.

The idea of a single chest that allows you to get everything passed makes sense to me too, as a player. But that could also backfire. Why buy all the Summer of Smite 2017 skins to get Bear Baccus, when he'll appear in that chest in X amount of months?

But if it is (theoretical) Panda Baccus Skin that gets released released X months (a year) after, no one gets hurt. The Summer 2017 players weren't betrayed and the new players have a chance to get something similar to what they can now NEVER have. Something similar is better than nothing.

Another examples of what I would do:

Sea Maiden Medusa cannot ever come back. But we could get a "Singing Siren" Medusa that comes about yearly during future Summer Smite events. Sea Maiden Medusa stays LE. But there is alternative for new characters.

They could apply this to Woodland Rouge The Morrighan and so on and so forth.

All that said, I'm glad to see that some people do at least see where I am coming from.

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead playcat2's Avatar
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 288
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points
    I don't know. Consider this, you come in after the fact, you done missed the skin that you really like, or you were away for a period of time and you missed out on the event. You'll never be able to get that skin. Ok. Now you recolor it and it just doesn't feel the same, no matter what kind of coloring you add to it. In English class my teacher used to tell us that you need to try to keep cohesive and coherency, and that applies to many things we do when we go back and change them again. It loses its original essence or feel. And the end result is that it just kind of feels weird, or different. There was an original thought process when it was first designed, and sticking to that is usually best.

But what about "washing out" the original skins? Ok, so say I got a new Limited skin, it looks really good and it's a different color from the original that came out. No matter how exquisite. I would feel like a second rate player because now I got something that isn't the original design, or on the other hand, the recolor looks better than the original and now which one do I use? You start having to many recolors and the game feels washed out.

I do agree that Limited skins are limited for a reason, but the thing is not everyone stays in the game all the time, and if you get hung up in another game for awhile you've already missed that chance to get that item. I think that's the reality. There was some Valhalla skins that I wanted to get last summer now that I look at them, but I can't get them again because I was away. And that's the fundamental problem with that.

New Member Cupidhead Ken_Silver's Avatar
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 333
    Quote Originally Posted by playcat2 View Post
    I don't know. Consider this, you come in after the fact, you done missed the skin that you really like, or you were away for a period of time and you missed out on the event. You'll never be able to get that skin. Ok. Now you recolor it and it just doesn't feel the same, no matter what kind of coloring you add to it. In English class my teacher used to tell us that you need to try to keep cohesive and coherency, and that applies to many things we do when we go back and change them again. It loses its original essence or feel. And the end result is that it just kind of feels weird, or different. There was an original thought process when it was first designed, and sticking to that is usually best.

But what about "washing out" the original skins? Ok, so say I got a new Limited skin, it looks really good and it's a different color from the original that came out. No matter how exquisite. I would feel like a second rate player because now I got something that isn't the original design, or on the other hand, the recolor looks better than the original and now which one do I use? You start having to many recolors and the game feels washed out.

I do agree that Limited skins are limited for a reason, but the thing is not everyone stays in the game all the time, and if you get hung up in another game for awhile you've already missed that chance to get that item. I think that's the reality. There was some Valhalla skins that I wanted to get last summer now that I look at them, but I can't get them again because I was away. And that's the fundamental problem with that.
    Yeah. I totally get that. Hi-Rez would have to pick their poison. Keep things as they are or try the recolor.

And while some people can accept that they missed a skin because they left the game, I don't think it feels the same for people who are just now getting into the game. If you jump into a game 5 years later into its life and you have no way of keeping up or getting similar rewards to the folks who were playing before... you would just leave, right?

Because at that point, you'd have to accept that you missed out on something cool and there's nothing you can do about it.

That's how I feel about the whole situation. And both sides have merit.

That's why it comes down to Hi-Rez to make the call. If they want to keep current fans satisfied, then they'll keep things as is. But if they want to make the game feel more open to new folks, they could consider the change.

Senior Member Chosen GameVeteranAzure's Avatar
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 620
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points Veteran
    Let us not forget, for the console players, there is one big, and to this date, the biggest argument for releasing limited skins in some fashion (outside of charity events where people donate $1,000 to get the skin).

Archon Thanatos

This was a Limited Skin on PC version of Smite...the event for which ended long before Console Smite was a thing.

I'm sure there are other skins that Console players will never get because "Yeah the console version didn't exist back then".

But you could have played Smite on PC and gotten it, then linked your account to have it on console. I hear some people crying out.

Most of us didn't know about Smite UNTIL it came out on console.
    Yeah...Right...Sure...And I'm The King of England!
    If it works in your favor, don't question it.
    Sacrifices had to be made.
    He who knows nothing, doubts nothing.
    Xbox GT: AlchemistAzure
    Smite IGN: MordridtheBlack

Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 182
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    I'm a console player (PS4) and didn't get the chance to get the Archon Thanatos, Ragnarok Force Thor, and all the other Limited skins that came out before Smite's release on PS4. Dr. Vanus Sylvanus, Void Wyrm Kukulkan, and Poolseidon Poseidon are three of my must have skins but unfortunately I can't have them. But I'm with those who believe that Limited skins should stay limited.

Unfortunately, Baskin from Luminosity didn't have Poolseidon skin but now he has it. So I guess if you aren't a pro there is no chance in hell for you to get one. Which I find unfair.
    Aphrodite
    The standard of beauty is not definite. We define it.

Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 219
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    It's a no brainer. The skins that were NEVER available to console should be made available as a once off.

New Member Cupidhead MLG_one_shot13's Avatar
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 328
    Achievements:
    Full Profile!
    I fell like once a year is too much and it should be like every other year because they are limited. But it kinda works if you can only BUY ONE role a year so sum rich mamma's boy cant by all the limited skins and be all snobby ( and yes i used the word snobby, big whoop wanna fight about it.)

Or maybe they could add a thing for new player for about 3 months that lets them buy a chest or the skin flat out for missing the release date so they have a chance and the skins are not made available for people who didn't buy it when they had a chance.
    Last edited by MLG_one_shot13; 10-19-2017 at 01:04 PM.
    BIG AS REEEEEEEEEEEEE

So you know how cancer exist, well thats where Loki comes in.

I regret nothing

Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 384
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Silver View Post
    I agree. There are 3 kinds of skins, right?

Standard
    Exclusive
    Limited Edition

If you're new to the game, you've missed out on a LOT of the 3rd tier. I think that's wrong. I know that they can't bring back those EXACT skins because they would lose their exclusivity status (and that matters a TON to people.)

But re-skinning LE Skins, making the reskins Exclusive skins and then selling those is something that Hi-Rez should be doing a LOT more. It's not unheard of either. I'm new to the game. Only a month in. But I did my research. Serqet has a LE skin called the Ebonsoul skin and then an Exclusive skin called the Demonsoul. Demonsoul is just a red recolor of the Ebonsoul. But it's available to folks new to the game.

Why don't we see this more often? It doesn't make much sense to me to spend time and resources on a model that will only be used by a few people, is always shown to future players, but said players will NEVER have a chance to get a similar skin.

I wouldn't take away LE skins or re-sell them. That did NOT go well for the Pool Poseidon skin. But there are a lot of LE skins that are so unique, they should get a re-skinned Exclusive skin down the road.

Kali's non-blue skinned skins.
    The ranger Hooded Morrigan skin.
    Mermaid Merdusa should easily be a reskinned seasonal skin for Summer of Smite.

I don't think there would be much backlash to this if the Exclusive resknis take about a year to come out after the LE versions. I pray that someone at Hi-Rez reads this and then at least throws the idea out there. I don't see a downside to it.

I upvote this so much right now lol

Senior Member Chosen GameVeteranAzure's Avatar
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 620
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by OtakaChan View Post
    I upvote this so much right now lol
    The issue is this goes into something else the player base complains about.

Lack of creativity.

Recolor skins are always seen with a bit of...shall we say...dislike.

The reasoning is, that players want to see more unique skins, not a ton of base recolors with minor tweaks.

Players want the LE skins because of what they are.

If someone offered up a renamed and recolored Archon Thanatos, most wouldn't even bother, because it ISN'T Archon Thanatos.

While recolors of LE skins have their use, they often just aren't the same as the original and don't have the appeal.

This is why I still stand by my idea of a "once a year chest (maybe on the anniversary of smite).

Every limited skin that can't be obtained in a chest (or through other special events that are held year round) gets put in the chest and each person can purchase one chest roll each year. Make it cost something on par with like the season ticket stuff (at least 1,000 gems) that way its a reachable goal and have the chest available all that month...after the month is up the chest goes back into lock down til next year."
    Yeah...Right...Sure...And I'm The King of England!
    If it works in your favor, don't question it.
    Sacrifices had to be made.
    He who knows nothing, doubts nothing.
    Xbox GT: AlchemistAzure
    Smite IGN: MordridtheBlack