Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A Solid Argument For Limited Skin Re-Releases

New Member Cupidhead MadCaptainNemo's Avatar
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 277
    Achievements:
    31 days registered 100 Experience Points

Lightbulb A Solid Argument For Limited Skin Re-Releases

Greetings,

Quick question/suggestion/feature request. Several of the Limited skins were unavailable to those of us not in closed beta on console/not available at all. Add on to he fact that many players did not start playing and or were not actively playing if at all when others were released/available. Why is there not a chest/event once a year that allows us to obtain limited skins? They would have to cost a lot of gems/require a great deal of effort to get in order to maintain their rarity and whatnot, I grant you that, but I do not understand why you cannot get them at all. The shadow skins, for instance, are "Limited" but are still attainable via the clan store. Why not allow the others to be available in the same way or force players to play ranked matches, achieving some kind of "ranked points" in the same way personal honor is in exchange for other limited skins.

I completely understand the purpose of T5 Limited skins. They are the pinnacle of skins that makes most, if not all, other gamers jealous. But would it not make more sense from a business stand point to allow players to get those skins again? Treat them like some of the rarer chests such as the mid-summer chest which only comes around once a year and you will make more money on them. I remember recently reading an article about how skins do not make as much money as they used too (I cannot remember if that was a dev blog on here or a general article on the internet) but would not such a solution solve this problem?

I am sure I am not the only player that would be willing to spend 1000+ gems on say the demonic pact anubis. Even if I only had the chance to get said skin once a year or after many many hours of grinding. Even odyssey skins are listed as "exclusive" in game, implying that at some point in the future they will be a chest. And those are rare enough. Why treat Limited skins any different?

Thanks,

MadCaptainNemo

New Member Cupidhead Senior_Airmen's Avatar
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 474
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points 3 months registered
    EXACTY! i believe a couple of events even happened before the betas

Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 388
    If you want to get limited skins wait until the yearly charity event in which you can purchase any desired limited skin for $1,000 each, yes even the T5 skins

A Tragic Product of Swedish Advertising Demigod SirKeksalot's Avatar
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 219
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Reputation Distributor 25000 Experience Points Repped! First Class Full Profile!
    If this happens, the value of the skin as "limited" is lost. People who paid the maximum amount of money to get the skins when they were new would feel cheated out of something they could have just waited for. This idea defeats the whole purpose of limited items.
    I tell people I'm bi, but what I really mean is [B] I O N I C L E

Muh Concepts

Junior Member Cupidhead Asgerith's Avatar
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 368
    i always wondered the same thing, and it kind of frustrated me too limited awesome skins from way back when i didnt even have ps4 smite or any money to invest... and i cant even buy them now i do have something. at least i got my first limited skin not too long ago, and that feels great to only see 3 other people (On PS4) with the same skin as me ♥

maybe the 'satisfaction' factor is why they didnt want to rerotate the limited skins, but I don't see why not rerotate the skins from a long time ago. im also not sure about the old limited skins on PC. if they never made it to ps4 or were released very early into beta, i'd like an event for that too but i highly doubt they'd just leave limited skins out of the game like that. maybe the same could also be said about icons & borders, but im not sure about how having an animated icon feels anyways, lol.

New Member Cupidhead MadCaptainNemo's Avatar
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 277
    Achievements:
    31 days registered 100 Experience Points
    I looked up the $1,000 dollar donation event. It seems it was a one time thing and you could only choose from a few skins. Personally I think that is ridiculous. I understand that a Limited skin is a mark of prestige but what about the skins that people legitimately did not have the opportunity to try and get? Take the Archon Thanatos for instance. To my knowledge it was release before closed beta on console, meaning that console players had ABSOLUTELY NO CHANCE of getting it. How is that fair?

And I understand that much like other games there are cosmetic items that act as a prestige of sorts (I'm thinking along the lines of "Founders" tags in most mmo's and whatnot) that are not available to the players at large. But those kinds of things are more along the lines of the "Beta Tester" avatar we have. Not major character overhauls/redesigns. Most if not all MMO's have cosmetic stuff that is locked behind a paywall of some sort, whether that's in game currency or a subscription or whatever. and I understand that.

I just can't understand the mentality of a developer having skins that are really really cool and awesome that they know for a fact people will pay out the ass for or grind for (please note that $1,000 is RIDICULOUS and is much more than most people can afford) and yet refuse to give us the chance.

I am merely stating that having a yearly event (perhaps in spring to balance out the Fall Odyssey) to give us a chance to get some of the older skins would not be a bad idea. I mean they could even only make 1 extra available a year, start with Archon Thanatos and work back to present chronologically. That gives people the chance to get skins and yet still does not make them any less valuable because it would still be 5ish years behind.

Senior Member Chosen GameVeteranAzure's Avatar
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 620
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points Veteran
    I'd prefer a once a year chest (maybe on the anniversary of smite).

Every limited skin that can't be obtained in a chest (or through other special events that are held year round) gets put in the chest and each person can purchase one chest roll each year. Make it cost something on par with like the season ticket stuff (at least 1,000 gems) that way its a reachable goal and have the chest available all that month...after the month is up the chest goes back into lock down til next year
    Yeah...Right...Sure...And I'm The King of England!
    If it works in your favor, don't question it.
    Sacrifices had to be made.
    He who knows nothing, doubts nothing.
    Xbox GT: AlchemistAzure
    Smite IGN: MordridtheBlack

New Member Cupidhead Ken_Silver's Avatar
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 333
    I agree. There are 3 kinds of skins, right?

Standard
    Exclusive
    Limited Edition

If you're new to the game, you've missed out on a LOT of the 3rd tier. I think that's wrong. I know that they can't bring back those EXACT skins because they would lose their exclusivity status (and that matters a TON to people.)

But re-skinning LE Skins, making the reskins Exclusive skins and then selling those is something that Hi-Rez should be doing a LOT more. It's not unheard of either. I'm new to the game. Only a month in. But I did my research. Serqet has a LE skin called the Ebonsoul skin and then an Exclusive skin called the Demonsoul. Demonsoul is just a red recolor of the Ebonsoul. But it's available to folks new to the game.

Why don't we see this more often? It doesn't make much sense to me to spend time and resources on a model that will only be used by a few people, is always shown to future players, but said players will NEVER have a chance to get a similar skin.

I wouldn't take away LE skins or re-sell them. That did NOT go well for the Pool Poseidon skin. But there are a lot of LE skins that are so unique, they should get a re-skinned Exclusive skin down the road.

Kali's non-blue skinned skins.
    The ranger Hooded Morrigan skin.
    Mermaid Merdusa should easily be a reskinned seasonal skin for Summer of Smite.

I don't think there would be much backlash to this if the Exclusive resknis take about a year to come out after the LE versions. I pray that someone at Hi-Rez reads this and then at least throws the idea out there. I don't see a downside to it.

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead playcat2's Avatar
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 288
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points
    I wouldn't recolor them. They would have to be either really good recolors or just don't do them at all. Because then it kind of "washes out" the original skin. But yeah I agree that there should be re-releases for the Limited skins, but I wouldn't go so far as just one a year. There should be a time and place for it. Having the skin you really want makes you feel good about the game, and you'll be more into it because it feels customized.

Senior Member Chosen GameVeteranAzure's Avatar
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 620
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by playcat2 View Post
    I wouldn't recolor them. They would have to be either really good recolors or just don't do them at all. Because then it kind of "washes out" the original skin. But yeah I agree that there should be re-releases for the Limited skins, but I wouldn't go so far as just one a year. There should be a time and place for it. Having the skin you really want makes you feel good about the game, and you'll be more into it because it feels customized.
    the once a year thing was merely a suggestion that would calm the crowd to a degree.

placing the limited skins in chests that already exist (that fit their theme) is a hit and miss idea. for some players, they would only have to spend a minimal amount of gems on those chests to get the limited skins because they have everything else out of that chest. other people would end up having to spend hundreds of dollars to try and get the skin out of the chest that has who knows what else in it.

if every limited skin that can't be purchased in some fashion (Archon Thanatos, etc) is put into one chest that can be opened once a year. you are at least getting a limited skin. it might not be the one you want, but it gives players a chance to get skins they missed because of "reasons".

sure we can put the chest up more than once a year but how many times. I don't know how many limited skins there are. but they would need to make it that people can't get all the skins in a single year...better for them to spread it out to a point so as new limited skins get added, after they can't be gotten from their events, they go into this chest.
    Yeah...Right...Sure...And I'm The King of England!
    If it works in your favor, don't question it.
    Sacrifices had to be made.
    He who knows nothing, doubts nothing.
    Xbox GT: AlchemistAzure
    Smite IGN: MordridtheBlack