Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Hi-Rez and choice of pantheon for Da Ji.

Senior Member Honoured
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Azilo View Post
    I give you claps.
    hmmm. I'm not sure if I want those, but I shall return clap! https://youtu.be/JeAUZDGpIZw?t=20s

Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 110
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by GongsunYiru View Post
    They should just given her long loose black hair with a simple bun and hairpins in the back, framing her face. Rather than some high-risen hairdo that screams unavailable married old woman, because that is what it is from a cultural standpoint. It's not seductress-like or young ladylike (i.e. Su Daji).

Hundreds of very pretty Chinese classical hairstyles for specifically young ladies.... and the HiRez design team chooses a whole other hairstyle that's the least appealing to an international contemporary audience.

The irony here is that--when looking at the official design concepts, they were close and then went full stupid...

Compare this hairstyle with concept #11...

But whatever it may be about the hair, the kit is unbearably bad. It hardly has a niche even, since every assassin does her job better.

It's hardly "of that period", considering Su Daji is from the Shang and Zhou era, whereas that extravagant hairstyle ingame is clearly inspired from something of the more-cosmopolitan Tang era (a millennium or two apart).

It's more HiRez' take, than based on historical accuracy. Which is fine I guess, if it was suitable and done well... it's not for Su Daji.
    You really should give a bit of credit where it's due. Appearance-wise she may not be what you wanted, but the effort they put in making her at least look the part is clearly evident. I've seen worst design choices for a nine tailed fox spirit and this is not one of them. Ahri from LoL for example, is nothing more than a typical anime girl with fox ears. Besides Da Ji doesn't look like an "unavailable married old woman" to me at all, mature maybe but not married old woman. There are quite a few modern day depictions of her that make her look pretty much like her picture; not so much a young girl but a slightly more matured lady, as well as some traditional art.

Off topic: What's with that "Chinese Mythology Guru" title below that fancy coloured name? Am I to assume that all my posts on this topic are moot since your words on Chinese mythology are now the gospel or something?
    元.夕..口.占

Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Reputation Distributor Repped! Third Class Veteran 5000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Azilo View Post
    Daji is not but fan service to men whilst we women continue to go without
    U have a lot in this game, besides better go where money flows, I said it before and I say it again on game that is aimed towards teens. Tits + ass = profit. Now I don't need to get slapped from saying this because its.. a fact not an opinion

Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points 1 year registered Repped! Third Class
    i wish i was as easily impressed by hirez as you are
    delete fat
    i need to make it clear that objectively speaking raijin is the most attractive god in this game

Senior Member Honoured RamenFrog's Avatar
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 515
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 1000 Experience Points Repped! Second Class Veteran
    I'm probably going to get a ton of flack for this, and I don't mean it in a sense of battle of the sexes, but I truly think a male should've designed Daji and I'll elaborate as to why.

Men and Women have different ideas of what makes a gender attractive, you can boil this down further to individual preference. Of all of the goddesses put into this game, Aphrodite and Daji are big contenders for being seductive and attractive in some varying degree. Unless this female artist was lesbian or Bisexual, her idea of what is sexually attractive on the same gender will be completely different then what most people are expecting.

The design on Daji feels more dignified royalty more then anything, and that isn't necessarily bad. The problem I feel is everything is to tight and structured, and it doesn't have a sensual flow or softness that might make her seem less intense. Loose hair in her headpiece, a flowing robe of some sort, even strips of fabric would've helped in my opinion to soften her face.

Kit aside, I find her design to harsh, and perhaps the artist was trying to make her seem intimidating with her strong features but taking a nod to Aphrodite, she's got flowing hair and robe on top of a sensual voice (which is outside of the art team obviously).

And for those wondering, I am indeed a female. I don't need people jumping the gun on me being some sexist male pig that people love to assume nowadays.

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead MoogandMe's Avatar
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 356
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class
    Quote Originally Posted by RamenFrog View Post
    Men and Women have different ideas of what makes a gender attractive, you can boil this down further to individual preference. Of all of the goddesses put into this game, Aphrodite and Daji are big contenders for being seductive and attractive in some varying degree.
    THIS... OMG THIS....

Unless this female artist was lesbian or Bisexual, her idea of what is sexually attractive on the same gender will be completely different then what most people are expecting.
    Not so much this... I rarely see eye-to-eye with lesbians on what's attractive about women. Lesbians and bisexual women are still women. They're not men. Their brains still do not work like a man's brain. Not saying one's right or wrong, just different.

In regards to the topic of fanservice for men vs fanservice for women, If you feel like you have received the short end of the stick, then I propose you petition HiRez. Complaining to a bunch of the players about it won't solve much. Getting angry with someone because he posted examples of possibly a counter argument won't solve anything.

I personally think the design of Da Ji is fitting. Most of the gods in Smite are very close to what their lore describes. (I said MOST. Not ALL)

In regards to fanservice as a whole, though, Smite is a game... The characters are animated 3d models. I personally don't understand sexual attraction to animated creations. Sure, it could be pleasing to look at, but that's the extent that I can see.

*edit* Btw, Da Ji would score a 12 or 13 on the Hot:Crazy Matrix. This fits perfectly with her lore.

Senior Member Honoured RamenFrog's Avatar
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 515
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 1000 Experience Points Repped! Second Class Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by MoogandMe View Post
    Not so much this... I rarely see eye-to-eye with lesbians on what's attractive about women. Lesbians and bisexual women are still women. They're not men. Their brains still do not work like a man's brain. Not saying one's right or wrong, just different.
    That may be true, the only reason I brought it up was because I'm lesbian myself. Though truth be told my preferences may fall in line with more of the male fantasy spectrum. But you're correct in that lesbians do tend to still have different preferences.

Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 110
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by daddysgirl69 View Post
    i wish i was as easily impressed by hirez as you are
    It's not that I'm easily impressed per se, I just give credit where credit is due. Not to say they are faultless; if they do something great I'll acknowledge it, likewise if something turns out bad like Erlang Shen, I'll make it known too (and I did).
    元.夕..口.占

Senior Member Prestigious Trisitella's Avatar
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 891
    Achievements:
    Conversation Starter 10000 Experience Points Repped! First Class Full Profile! Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by RamenFrog View Post
    That may be true, the only reason I brought it up was because I'm lesbian myself. Though truth be told my preferences may fall in line with more of the male fantasy spectrum. But you're correct in that lesbians do tend to still have different preferences.
    *cough* dont check my browser history
    (Also Bi and really pervy woman reporting in)
    ♥ ♥ Kiyohime is the OG Yandere! ♥♥

Can We Get Persephone In This Game Please?
    ==And Su Daji To, Please!==

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead Anjokh's Avatar
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 24
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points Repped! Third Class 3 months registered
    A bit of diversity makes the world go round, eh?

OT: When Da Ji comes out on PS4 I will run some tests and check her skills.
    I play Smite on the PS4. PSN is Anjokh