Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Hi-Rez and choice of pantheon for Da Ji.

Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 110
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Veteran

Hi-Rez and choice of pantheon for Da Ji.

It's been 6 months since I quietly left this game after a terrible misunderstanding with the community about a certain Fire Giant quest incident that left an extremely toxic taste in my mouth. Despite having near zero interest in this game during this period of 6 months, my youtube seemingly having a psychic mind of its own, dropped me one recommended video of Smite, which brought back some fond and not so fond memories. Then I read the video title more closely... Su Daji. MY GOD this was the only god that I had hoped the game would add since a long time even before the Japanese pantheon was leaked.

As a well-versed scholar of the Chinese mythos thanks to exposure since a tiny age, it was absolutely elating for me to see her finally making her long deserved appearance in Smite. Back when the Japanese pantheon was added I was pretty sure Hi-Rez would eventually appeal to the bigger weeb audience who believed fox spirits originated and only belonged in Japanese myth, much to my dismay. Boy was I wrong. Hi-Rez continues to impress me with their choices; they could probably rake in a million more weeb players to their game but they chose to be more original and unique instead, and that is awesome.

Great also to see that she isn't just another anime-faced little girl with an attitude, rather a face that clearly shows what a woman possessed by a malicious spirit looks like. A bummer that her nine tails were not used more in her kit, but still pretty pleased with her design. So thank you very much Hi-Rez for the new god, and I may finally be coming back after my 6 month hiatus.
    元.夕..口.占

Senior Member Prestigious Trisitella's Avatar
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 891
    Achievements:
    Conversation Starter 10000 Experience Points Repped! First Class Full Profile! Veteran
    I just hate her hair. Everything else is bearable for me.
    ♥ ♥ Kiyohime is the OG Yandere! ♥♥

Can We Get Persephone In This Game Please?
    ==And Su Daji To, Please!==

Lord of the Enigs Infamous Enigmatisty's Avatar
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,505
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Repped! First Class 10000 Experience Points Repped! Second Class Full Profile!
    She looks like she could be Chang'e's evil stepmother.

She doesn't really look "possessed" if you ask me. Gives off more a vibe that it's the real deal.
    Actually back to Smite but my love for the forums isn't really the same anymore. May most likely not post god concepts again.

Since forums are dying, feel free to join the official smite forum discord where most retired members chill.

Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,157
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Reputation Distributor Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class Full Profile!
    Daji is not but fan service to men whilst we women continue to go without
    NOODLE FREEDOM FIGHTER!
    Also the potato queen

And Dragon princess
    Miyo is love. Miyo is MiyoBatman. Test.

Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 110
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Veteran
    I think they went for more historical/cultural accuracy with her appearance, which explains the hair which is typical of Chinese royalty of that period. I mean just look:

The thing about her being fan service is pretty much the entire point of her existence? I mean she *was* supposed to behave and dress accordingly to seduce the thirsty king.
    元.夕..口.占

Lord of the Enigs Infamous Enigmatisty's Avatar
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,505
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Repped! First Class 10000 Experience Points Repped! Second Class Full Profile!
    Quote Originally Posted by Azilo View Post
    Straight men*
    Actually back to Smite but my love for the forums isn't really the same anymore. May most likely not post god concepts again.

Since forums are dying, feel free to join the official smite forum discord where most retired members chill.

Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,157
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Reputation Distributor Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class Full Profile!
    Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatisty View Post
    Straight men*
    *pity pats
    NOODLE FREEDOM FIGHTER!
    Also the potato queen

And Dragon princess
    Miyo is love. Miyo is MiyoBatman. Test.

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead MoogandMe's Avatar
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 356
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Azilo View Post
    I'll be real, I have no idea what would constitute for fan-service for women or for men of other persuasions, but don't you have Hunkules?

Senior Member Prestigious GongsunYiru's Avatar
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 2,151
    Achievements:
    Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class Reputation Distributor Repped! Third Class Discussion Ender
    Awards:
    Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Trisitella View Post
    I just hate her hair.
    They should just given her long loose black hair with a simple bun and hairpins in the back, framing her face. Rather than some high-risen hairdo that screams unavailable married old woman, because that is what it is from a cultural standpoint. It's not seductress-like or young ladylike (i.e. Su Daji).

Hundreds of very pretty Chinese classical hairstyles for specifically young ladies.... and the HiRez design team chooses a whole other hairstyle that's the least appealing to an international contemporary audience.

The irony here is that--when looking at the official design concepts, they were close and then went full stupid...

Compare this hairstyle with concept #11...

Quote Originally Posted by Trisitella View Post
    Everything else is bearable for me.
    But whatever it may be about the hair, the kit is unbearably bad. It hardly has a niche even, since every assassin does her job better.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouhappai View Post
    I think they went for more historical/cultural accuracy with her appearance, which explains the hair which is typical of Chinese royalty of that period.
    It's hardly "of that period", considering Su Daji is from the Shang and Zhou era, whereas that extravagant hairstyle ingame is clearly inspired from something of the more-cosmopolitan Tang era (a millennium or two apart).

It's more HiRez' take, than based on historical accuracy. Which is fine I guess, if it was suitable and done well... it's not for Su Daji.

Senior Member Prestigious Trisitella's Avatar
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 891
    Achievements:
    Conversation Starter 10000 Experience Points Repped! First Class Full Profile! Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by GongsunYiru View Post
    They should just given her long loose black hair with a simple bun and hairpins in the back, framing her face. Rather than some high-risen hairdo that screams unavailable married old woman, because that is what it is from a cultural standpoint. It's not seductress-like or young ladylike (i.e. Su Daji).

Hundreds of very pretty Chinese classical hairstyles for specifically young ladies.... and the HiRez design team chooses a whole other hairstyle that's the least appealing to an international contemporary audience.

The irony here is that--when looking at the official design concepts, they were close and then went full stupid...

Compare this hairstyle with concept #11...

But whatever it may be about the hair, the kit is unbearably bad. It hardly has a niche even, since every assassin does her job better.
    Agreed, 9 and 11 are much better choices
    3 is also kinda cute, Also cute ears, why no ears? :C

I dont have much to say on her kit, as I play for looks > kit, however I feel like her "flying through the air" while slashing about is a bit on the "awkward" looking side

And, i will admit my knowledge of what hair styles mean are low, however if what you said is true that hairstyles that are worn "up" are for women who are married, she should have had one that.. was not that.
    Her main gimmic is that she was a SEDUCTRESS, not a taken woman. Someone who could pull in everyone. It just does not fit the theme.

Thats all my opinion though. SHe just.. isnt a seductress to me. SHe is evil, yes. But the missed the mark on the seductress part which was her thing.
    Last edited by Trisitella; 05-23-2017 at 02:08 PM.
    ♥ ♥ Kiyohime is the OG Yandere! ♥♥

Can We Get Persephone In This Game Please?
    ==And Su Daji To, Please!==