Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Forced practice on new gods?

Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 38
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Party Person 5000 Experience Points 1 year registered Full Profile!

Forced practice on new gods?

So a new god is coming out.So we are gonna have the same issue of people auto locking the new god and having no clue what they are doing and ruining your game.

Should forced practice be a feature?Now practice will only teach you so much.You will learn how to play a god on the basic level.Which is fine you need to play against real players to get better.But I feel some sort of forced practice should be a thing for newly released gods.

Now how much practice should it be?Nothing dramatic since it can be boring.But maybe 1 co-op game.Only 1.You will at the very least know what the god's abilities do.Know how to use them with some competence.I feel this isn't a lot to ask of players.Since you can do joust and the match ends in like 10 minutes.What do the rest of you think?

Personally I like this idea as I practice with new gods anyway.1 little co-op game is not a lot to ask of someone and it makes players of the new god a little competent with them.
    You don't understand.Edgar is the one in the hole.

"Tell me again little Lamb.What is mine to take?"
    "All things dear Wolf.

"Never one."
    "Without the other."

Jing Wei is the best goddess in, SMITE, in everything. <3 #Notbiased

Jing Wei stats: 15 Godlikes 2 Penta's 4 Quadra's <3

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 499
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Unless you mean it should be implemented for any God you've never played then not really.
    I mean I'd still be against a forced practice, people tend to dislike things when its forced upon them (some of us are mentally weak creatures).

At the very least I guess for the first time playing a god they should play those YouTube videos they have of every Gods abilities (at like 1.5x speed and not in ranked games since I guess you don't need the God mastered to use it[?]). Players new to the God might actually watch those

Senior Member Chosen ShinigamiXzero's Avatar
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 601
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 3 months registered 1000 Experience Points
    A lot of times they do MOTD were everyone can play the new god to test them out. I don't think it should be forced on a person to play against bots though.

Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 38
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Party Person 5000 Experience Points 1 year registered Full Profile!
    Quote Originally Posted by OdinsBeer View Post
    Unless you mean it should be implemented for any God you've never played then not really.
    I mostly mean this on new releases.Cause a new god gets release and for the next week MM sucks cause there are way to many noobs who autolock the new god and do poorly.I personally tend to go into practice for a hour or two with a new god to get used to their abilities and practice some tricks and builds.So I can generally do well on a new god.
    You don't understand.Edgar is the one in the hole.

"Tell me again little Lamb.What is mine to take?"
    "All things dear Wolf.

"Never one."
    "Without the other."

Jing Wei is the best goddess in, SMITE, in everything. <3 #Notbiased

Jing Wei stats: 15 Godlikes 2 Penta's 4 Quadra's <3

Senior Member Honoured ArsenalIV's Avatar
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 236
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Repped! Third Class Tagger Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    We already have forced practice. Its called Arena. Forces you adapt to the character or let the team down.
    XBL:Arsenal IV
    List of Favorite Gods

Bellona - Scylla - Khepri - Nox - Izanami - Sol - Geb - Cernunnos - Bacchus - Sun Wukong

People who main Loki play CoD exclusively for Multiplayer and listen to Linkin Park.

R.I.P. Raijin

Chinese Mythology Guru Prestigious GongsunYiru's Avatar
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,526
    Achievements:
    Repped! First Class 1 year registered Repped! Second Class 10000 Experience Points Reputation Distributor
    Awards:
    Guru
    This forceful hand-holding sound more cumbersome than anything.
    Disclaimer: I am a volunteer guru. I work on my own knowledge and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.

Skin concepts
    Sword of the Moonflower Chang'e
    Steampunk Houyi

Super Moderator Prestigious KingScuba's Avatar
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 311
    Achievements:
    Arm of the Law! Full Profile! Tagger First Class! Reputation Distributor Tagger Master Class
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Not to mention for it to be worth anything theyd have to make a tutorial specialized to each god, which means alot of time taken away from bug fixes, god development, and other things that should be priority. Im very against this. If you dont like it, just try autolocking the new god yourself and changing to something else at the last second.
    Do me a favor. Give me -reps please.

Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios. Also I will not be able to contest your in-game ban.

Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 306
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 3 months registered 1000 Experience Points
    I have asked/suggested this before and here's what PonPon said:

Quote Originally Posted by hudapak View Post
    I have never felt so frustrated and annoyed with a new God than with The Morrigan. I have lost many matches because of a player in my team playing as her. Do you think it's possible for future God releases that they be played in Practice mode first at least once before they use them in actual games? Maybe that would lessen the incidence of players feeding and performing badly?

PonPon's reply was:
    The only mode we would force a play restriction for would be ranked, and there we require at least mastery one. This is from old data that suggested after only that many games the win rate for a specific character dramatically approached more normal levels. In casuals though we don’t want to have that restriction, and practice is not a high level situation.

It difficult to balance letting players have freedom versus forcing them to learn.
    DIAMONDS: Aphrodite, Nu Wa, Kukulkan, Neith, Chang'e, Amaterasu, Medusa, Sylvanus, Cupid

*I want a Marilyn Monroe Aphrodite skin with Vogue Dance Emote*
    http://forums.smitegame.com/showthre...nroe-inspired)

Senior Member Honoured BigDingus's Avatar
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 856
    Achievements:
    I like the original idea. It's simple enough, not that time consuming, and has good intention behind it with little downside.

Worst case scenario, the player still sucks with the god, oh well. Best case scenario, they learned a few things and got the initial "new and shiny!" out of the way so that in their next real game they will feel a little more comfortable.

There's no downside if implemented, but possible upside. So I say why not.

Senior Member Honoured BigDingus's Avatar
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 856
    Achievements:
    I have asked/suggested this before and here's what PonPon said:

I have never felt so frustrated and annoyed with a new God than with The Morrigan. I have lost many matches because of a player in my team playing as her. Do you think it's possible for future God releases that they be played in Practice mode first at least once before they use them in actual games? Maybe that would lessen the incidence of players feeding and performing badly?

PonPon's reply was:
    The only mode we would force a play restriction for would be ranked, and there we require at least mastery one. This is from old data that suggested after only that many games the win rate for a specific character dramatically approached more normal levels. In casuals though we don’t want to have that restriction, and practice is not a high level situation.

It difficult to balance letting players have freedom versus forcing them to learn.
    His response would make sense if it weren't for one simple thing - most people don't just play casual because they want a "casual experience." This is what Hi-Rez fails to recognize over and over. The two main reasons I see people playing casual are -

1. They don't meet the requirements to play ranked yet. There are plenty really good, highly competitive players that just haven't got there yet.

2. They don't like ranked. Whether it's the game modes, the toxic environment, whatever, they just don't like ranked itself. Even some of the most competitive people I've met on here (and some of the most toxic that take the game far too seriously) just don't play ranked, yet they treat the game like it's life or death (even MOTD).

Therefore the non-ranked modes are RARELY ever "casual" in nature at level 30. I can play 100 games in a week, yet only count on 1 hand games in which a full team was playing for fun, and didn't go bat-shit crazy the second they lost a team fight.

I really wish Hi-Rez would recognize this and start treating the game in a way that would cut out some of the crap we non-ranked people deal with.