Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Smite's increasingly toxic in-game community

Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1 year registered 1000 Experience Points

Smite's increasingly toxic in-game community

This is something I've been watching for a while, and I've noticed it's getting worse and worse -- to the point that I would compare Smite's level of toxicity to LoL's, which I find saddening, but not surprising. PvP brings out the worst in people, and when you actually "gain" something from winning, people will get EXTREMELY angry when things don't go their way, and start lashing out at teammates, etc.

This is even more prevalent in the low-level matches, where smurfs run rampant. I've made several low-level accounts, and played them at various levels of "skill" (ranging from playing normally to trying my best to play like a new player, making obvious mistakes, buying odd items, etc). And I've noticed that a lot of people have ZERO tolerance for even a single mistake. They'll rage, spam "you rock" vgs, etc. Enemy teams will laugh/tauntspam when they win, talk shit in lobby after beating another team (even if the team was a bunch of newbies who were randomly matched against a bunch of smurfs and 30th levels -- which happens FAR too often), etc.

But what it comes down to is there's no real way to actually DEAL with the toxicity that's developed. While playing my lowbie accounts, I've run into a number of people who I've chatted with, offered advice to, etc, and I've seen more than a few of them give up on the game because people are just unceasingly, aggressively rude to them.

Now, I'm sure a lot of people think "well, they just need to get a thicker skin, it's the internet, and a pvp game!" Sure, and that's true -- to an extent. But the counter is also true, nobody is FORCED to act like a complete and utter asshat just because "it's the internet".

The fact that Smite is literally losing players over the toxic nature of the in-game community makes me sad. I used to LOVE this game. But lately, due to the lack of matchmaking and rising toxicity, it's no longer really fun. I took a long break a while back, hoping that it would be better when I returned -- it hasn't improved. If anything, it's gotten worse.

I know this is largely pointless, as I have no doubt I'll be told various flavors of "just get a thicker skin", etc. But when I was growing up, I was always taught to treat others as you want them to treat you, and I try to live by that. Even online. I'll say "good game" if it was a good game, and when people find it necessary to laugh or tauntspam because they won, or say "lol ez" in the lobby afterwards, I'll try and convince them that that shows a sincere lack of sportsmanship. Generally I just get told I'm "mad" or "salty" or whatever else, but thankfully I HAVE had a couple of people /whisper me afterwards saying "You know, you're right, I was acting like a dick." And that was nice.

Ultimately I doubt anything will change. Players will come and go. But it just saddens me to see people that I enjoyed talking with say "screw this game, the players are all assholes" and leave.

Senior Member Prestigious Trisitella's Avatar
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 891
    Achievements:
    Conversation Starter 10000 Experience Points Repped! First Class Full Profile! Veteran
    As stated before I only consider Racist/Homophobic/Threats of IRL harm to be truly toxic- But that doesnt mean that what is happening else where is "Ok"

My only question is how could anyone be forced to not be like this? The most I could think of would be skin rewards/minor gem rewards for good behavior if you were repped to be so, but even then thats a very weak proposal in my opinion. What ideas to everyone else have?

I would like to say that while i do not behave in the manor described in game- Stuff like that doesnt bother me personally, however my opinions doesnt represent everyone. If it is bothering people it is on some form a problem and I am open to suggestions for solutions.
    ♥ ♥ Kiyohime is the OG Yandere! ♥♥

Can We Get Persephone In This Game Please?
    ==And Su Daji To, Please!==

Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1 year registered 1000 Experience Points
    What you personally consider toxic isn't what everyone else does. Having people spam vgs with "you rock!" every time someone dies, constantly badmouthing them in chat, etc, is toxic behavior. And it's becoming more and more prevalent, especially in the low levels. There are COUNTLESS smurfs running around, and a great number of them take pride in gloating and belittling the new players they shit on.

What the game needs IS some sort of "rep" system, where if you're consistently toxic, you start only being queued with other people who are equally toxic. LoL does something similar, with the player tribunals. Smite, however, encourages smurfing, and encourages bad behavior because they never actually punish people for it.

And god forbid any of the people the toxic jackoffs are needling rise to the bait. That just makes them do it MORE.

For instance, I was playing a game on one of my lowbie "new player" accounts the other day, and the enemy team was a premade of 3 smurfs. When they inevitably won, they of course laughspammed during the victory screen, and in chat afterwards started throwing around insults, such as "ez game lol", "u guys suck so bad lolz", "ez game ez life lolz" and other such nonsense. When I told them that smurfs curbstomping new players and then GLOATING about it was bad sportsmanship, they started saying things like "LOL U MAD!" "so salty! LOL!" and the like.

It doesn't "bother" me so much as disappoint me. And it's frustrating to see people leave the game over toxic asshats whose egos are so fragile that they find it necessary to crush new players and then gloat about it to make themselves feel better.

Senior Member Chosen ShinigamiXzero's Avatar
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 919
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points
    I never played LoL but I can already say nothing is as bad as LoL toxicity. Every game that tries to claim its toxicity is high always says worse then LoL. I believe that is a sign that nothing is as bad as it.

You are also technically smurfing to see what is going on in the lower levels. I am guessing to ensure a positive future for the game but you may be hurting it some as well. The other lower levels who aren't smurfing are trying as hard as possible to win. You are trying to pretend to be not as good as you really are to be there.

The problem is not just the internet it is more the ftp part of this game. When you pay for a game or have a subscription people are normally kinder since if you get banned you lost some money. Here if you get banned you just make another account. So even if HiRez was more proactive about banning people, they would just make a new account.

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead Anjokh's Avatar
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 24
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points Repped! Third Class 3 months registered
    Toxic players generally get angry because they lack the basic skills necessary to be civilized human beings. How can you expect there to be a good outcome if the person you are talking to doesn't know how to be a human themselves?

You can't stop bad people being bad, but you can become immune to their behavior.
    I play Smite on the PS4. PSN is Anjokh

Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjokh View Post
    You can't stop bad people being bad, but you can become immune to their behavior.
    This is great advice.

Also, pls report those people. I'm on Xbox and it helps a lot when I see that "avoid me" reputation so I know not to join when they invite me to a party before the game starts. I know it doesn't always mean they're bad, but so far they always have been.

Senior Member Chosen ShinigamiXzero's Avatar
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 919
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Caitniss View Post
    This is great advice.

Also, pls report those people. I'm on Xbox and it helps a lot when I see that "avoid me" reputation so I know not to join when they invite me to a party before the game starts. I know it doesn't always mean they're bad, but so far they always have been.
    OP is on PC so they can't use stuff like that and have to depend solely on HiRez team. And from the sounds of it PC is the most toxic of the platforms since Live and PSN have their own messaging system so you can get people banned easier so people think before they send hate mail.

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead Anjokh's Avatar
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 24
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points Repped! Third Class 3 months registered
    Quote Originally Posted by ShinigamiXzero View Post
    OP is on PC so they can't use stuff like that and have to depend solely on HiRez team. And from the sounds of it PC is the most toxic of the platforms since Live and PSN have their own messaging system so you can get people banned easier so people think before they send hate mail.
    For PS4, the group chats are made largely to ask everyone ingame to report the offending player.
    I play Smite on the PS4. PSN is Anjokh

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 212
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Eh, maybe toxic yeah but at least it isn't Overwatch... swear I have a splitting headache ever game and I can only play for like 1 to 2 matches that's it.
    My heart is a fiery cauldron of passion and seduction.

King of the Piplups Chosen inferno18's Avatar
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 901
    Achievements:
    1 year registered Party Person Repped! First Class 10000 Experience Points
    Toxic players traverse to every single game as it becomes popular. Thus is the way of life. It's just the way you deal with them that matters. Sure, saying "Kys you stupid fucking idiot i hope you fall into a ditch" would make you feel better for a brief second, but then you would be no better than them. The best thing you can do is just try to play on and ignore them, and then after the match report and block them so you never see them again.
    IGN in Smite is SamurottsFury. Friend me if you want cancer.
    I identify as Piplup's sassiness; Don't ask questions
    I is also a three time God Concept contest winner ~~
    My Concepts