Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Something SMITE be able to learn from...

A Tragic Product of Swedish Advertising Demigod SirKeksalot's Avatar
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 219
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Reputation Distributor 25000 Experience Points Repped! First Class Full Profile!
    Quote Originally Posted by daddysgirl69 View Post
    you're comparing characters that arent even remotely similar in design and saying that one is better when there's no way to compare
    That has nothing to do with it. If one has clearer, crisper textures, then that is that.

and its actually just so convenient that one of leagues newest champions and smites newest champions share a similar design motif of dark purple and birds
    Smite still wins. Xayah has blurrier textures, and looks more like some kind of watercolor painting.

the morrigan has less detailed feathers and much much blurrier lines when you look at the brown leather on her shoes and arm wraps compared to the ones on xaya's arms.
    Uh...no?

it's also very important to note that champions are MUCH SMALLER than the gods in smite will be seen. so you have more detail on a smaller model, which makes the details harder to see, and the morrigan's much easier to see in contrast
    More details does not mean better designs.

and you know what happens in league when a champion gets a huge visual update? their skins get updates too.

this is the same skin before and after the updated model
    did vamana get this? no.

you're stuck with this ugly ugly skin until hirez decides to finish updating vamana
    HR does this because people complain when it happens because the playerbase has a lot of nostalgia for some odd reason.
    I tell people I'm bi, but what I really mean is [B] I O N I C L E

Muh Concepts

Senior Member Prestigious Trisitella's Avatar
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 891
    Achievements:
    Conversation Starter 10000 Experience Points Repped! First Class Full Profile! Veteran
    I dont know alot about computer modeling but I feel like its unfair to compair art styles in league to that of smite, simply because one is top down, one is 3rd person
    ♥ ♥ Kiyohime is the OG Yandere! ♥♥

Can We Get Persephone In This Game Please?
    ==And Su Daji To, Please!==

Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points 1 year registered Repped! Third Class
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKeksalot View Post
    That has nothing to do with it. If one has clearer, crisper textures, then that is that.
    looking at how two designers tackle the same motif is the best way to draw comparisons.

Smite still wins. Xayah has blurrier textures, and looks more like some kind of watercolor painting.
    well i am someone whos played both the morrigan and xayah, and in game xayah model looks much more crisp and clearly defined from the the environment. you can feel the quality of the model in game. these things are severely lacking in the morrigan. she doesnt stand out shes not as defined, her lines are much blurrier on a canvas that is much larger than xayahs.

Uh...no?
    denial is the first stage

More details does not mean better designs.
    it means you can see things better, that its not muddy or blended together too much. crisp visuals are much more aesthetically pleasing to look at

HR does this because people complain when it happens because the playerbase has a lot of nostalgia for some odd reason.
    im sure many old vamana players would be happy with a skin that isnt completely ugly and many new ones would buy it from not having a selection of completely ugly skins for their favourite god

i was happy with the taric rework and the changes to the skins that i had of him. armor of the fifth age went from to the best skin in the game to the best skin in any game ever

also vamanas fat ugly giant angry baby model was one of the major reasons why i uninstalled smite the first time i played. just putting that out there
    Last edited by daddysgirl69; 05-07-2017 at 06:33 PM.
    delete fat
    i need to make it clear that objectively speaking raijin is the most attractive god in this game

Super Moderator Godlike RainbowSplat's Avatar
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 933
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class Reputation Distributor Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class Full Profile!
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Quote Originally Posted by Trisitella View Post
    I dont know alot about computer modeling but I feel like its unfair to compair art styles in league to that of smite, simply because one is top down, one is 3rd person
    You deserve a cookie
    *Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.*

Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Reputation Distributor 25000 Experience Points Repped! First Class Full Profile!
    looking at how two designers tackle the same motif is the best way to draw comparisons.
    We're not talking character design. We're talking graphics.

well i am someone whos played both the morrigan and xayah, and in game xayah model looks much more crisp and clearly defined from the the environment. you can feel the quality of the model in game. these things are severely lacking in the morrigan. she doesnt stand out shes not as defined, her lines are much blurrier on a canvas that is much larger than xayahs.
    ...What the actual fuck are you talking about? How does a humanoid figure just magically get camouflaged against a "canvas?"

denial is the first stage
    The Morrigan's feathers are smaller and monochrome. Her leather is also smaller. Of course it won't be as detailed. There's not really a difference.

it means you can see things better, that its not muddy or blended together too much. crisp visuals are much more aesthetically pleasing to look at
    Designs can also become cluttered if there's too much going on. Basically, it's G1 Bionicle vs. G2 Bionicle. G2 looks more clean, while G1 has a lot of pistons and circles and fucking I don't even know what half of those details are supposed to be.

im sure many old vamana players would be happy with a skin that isnt completely ugly and many new ones would buy it from not having a selection of completely ugly skins for their favourite god

i was happy with the taric rework and the changes to the skins that i had of him. armor of the fifth age went from to the best skin in the game to the best skin in any game ever
    I'd be happy if all the old, bad skins were updated, but HR's the one who has to deal with the complaints when they remove shit.

also vamanas fat ugly giant angry baby model was one of the major reasons why i uninstalled smite the first time i played. just putting that out there
    That is probably the second worst reason to uninstall Smite that I've ever read. Like, one model is visually behind in a game that's known to update old models. LITERALLY UNPLAYABLE

Muh Concepts

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Trisitella View Post
    league isnt actually top down its isometric and you can get the same view of a league character by making them face the top side of the map and zooming in

We're not talking character design. We're talking graphics.
    its all connected how the design looks ingame is directly influenced by the graphics

...What the actual fuck are you talking about? How does a humanoid figure just magically get camouflaged against a "canvas?"
    the model = the canvas to which the textures are affixed onto.

The Morrigan's feathers are smaller and monochrome. Her leather is also smaller. Of course it won't be as detailed. There's not really a difference.
    yeah but in game the morrigan's are larger and xayah's are smaller
    you can see xayah's just as clearly in the picture and the morrigan's are just as blurred in game

Designs can also become cluttered if there's too much going on. Basically, it's G1 Bionicle vs. G2 Bionicle. G2 looks more clean, while G1 has a lot of pistons and circles and fucking I don't even know what half of those details are supposed to be.
    thats why i picked heroes that were likely in development around the same time, so no arguments like that could be made.

I'd be happy if all the old, bad skins were updated, but HR's the one who has to deal with the complaints when they remove shit.
    still bad graphics though

That is probably the second worst reason to uninstall Smite that I've ever read. Like, one model is visually behind in a game that's known to update old models. LITERALLY UNPLAYABLE
    lol its a personal thing but i really hate ugly things. like really hate. i got bacchus in assault today and seeing the model, with ugly mud colours, and black shading: made me want to afk. we lost that game Hardcore. (it wasnt my fault though the kali kept running in 1v5 and dying and blamed me when her ult didnt go off) but still. the level of enjoyment i have with a game is directly correlated to how the characters i play look. the function of their fashion. their design. the look. the aesthetic.
    i hate ugly things so much. if they arent conventionally ""attractive" then they have to have something to make them work. to make them pop. to make them serve regardless of their nonconformity. but bacchus doesnt have this. hes ugly and makes me feel bad playing him
    delete fat
    i need to make it clear that objectively speaking raijin is the most attractive god in this game

Senior Member Prestigious Trisitella's Avatar
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 891
    Achievements:
    Conversation Starter 10000 Experience Points Repped! First Class Full Profile! Veteran
    league isnt actually top down its isometric and you can get the same view of a league character by making them face the top side of the map and zooming in
    Riot Employees who work on the art and skin all use the term "Top Down" when speaking on their changes to a skin/model and explaining their reasoning, something they repeat constantly when asked why a change was made "Textures got lost and blurry in a top down view, and looked a bit like a blob so we made the swtich to change her hair from pink to pale lilac"

If you want to get super technically i suppose the term you are using is correct, but its still a top down view, you are on top of your characters and view down to see them, even if its is at an angle
    ♥ ♥ Kiyohime is the OG Yandere! ♥♥

Can We Get Persephone In This Game Please?
    ==And Su Daji To, Please!==

Achievements:
    You're looking from above. It's top-down.

its all connected how the design looks ingame is directly influenced by the graphics
    But one doesn't influence the other in a meaningful way.

the model = the canvas to which the textures are affixed onto.
    What you said still makes no sense.

yeah but in game the morrigan's are larger and xayah's are smaller
    you can see xayah's just as clearly in the picture and the morrigan's are just as blurred in game
    No, you can't. The Morrigan's are all black. That's why they don't look as detailed; it's harder to see.

thats why i picked heroes that were likely in development around the same time, so no arguments like that could be made.
    Not sure what this has to do with what I said.

Muh Concepts

Achievements:
    You're looking from above. It's top-down.
    isometric view is a thing. think diablo starcraft the sims etc. not directly above but adjacent to the above and level views

But one doesn't influence the other in a meaningful way.
    What you said still makes no sense.
    at least i have more to my arguments than boiling it down to being nitpicky with the words then

No, you can't. The Morrigan's are all black. That's why they don't look as detailed; it's harder to see.
    so theyre somehow more or equally detailed despite being one flat colour that you cant make the details out of?
    not seein it

Not sure what this has to do with what I said.
    g2 were made after g1

the morrigan and xayah were in development at the same time
    delete fat

Achievements:
    isometric view is a thing. think diablo starcraft the sims etc. not directly above but adjacent to the above and level views
    I know what isometric means. It's still from above--that means top-down.

at least i have more to my arguments than boiling it down to being nitpicky with the words then
    That's not the basis of my argument.

so theyre somehow more or equally detailed despite being one flat colour that you cant make the details out of?
    not seein it
    It means Morrigan's isn't worse, it's harder to make out.

g2 were made after g1
    That has literally nothing to do with what we're talking about; I was talking about detail, not age.

the morrigan and xayah were in development at the same time
    Again, nothing to do with Bionicle.

Muh Concepts