Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Guardians: better Selfish or Selfless?

A Tragic Product of Swedish Advertising Demigod SirKeksalot's Avatar
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 219
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Reputation Distributor 25000 Experience Points Repped! First Class Full Profile!
    Quote Originally Posted by LuxInterior View Post
    To tell the truth, any good player knows that everybody's a support.
    "You're a support, he's a support, you're a support!? I'm a support! Are there any other supports I should know about?"

"Meow."
    I tell people I'm bi, but what I really mean is [B] I O N I C L E

Muh Concepts

Senior Member Honoured RamenFrog's Avatar
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 515
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 1000 Experience Points Repped! Second Class Veteran
    I feel like it's more a mentality issue then the God or general design itself. Most people like to be MLG with a high kill ratio simply on the basis that "you're doing good".

This may work in PvP oriented games where you are solely reliant on yourself (For Honor to give an example) but for team based games you really have to think "what's better for the team". This goes for any role, not just support. Is your midlaner gonna be a lategame carry? Then have an early game god somewhere else on the map to help transition them better.

On the topic of Ganesha, I strongly believe you can still take him into Solo with moderate success. You just have to understand that you may be helping your jungler come online better if they hang out in your lane and it's not a negative thing. Builds be damned but I'm in the mentality of if someone is having a harder time in the game I'm gonna make it as easy as possible for them, regardless of what role I'm playing.

You could say I'm selfless in my playstyle, others would probably disagree cause oh no I didn't get gold or whatnot but someone else on my team did. It's going somewhere, it's benefiting the team in some way for us to win.

Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 788
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 1000 Experience Points Repped! First Class 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKeksalot View Post
    "You're a support, he's a support, you're a support!? I'm a support! Are there any other supports I should know about?"

"Meow."
    I wouldn't joke about that. I had a Kali support on my side one time and it worked...
    Join the cult of Khepri for he is Love and Life.

God Concepts:

Senior Member Prestigious LuxInterior's Avatar
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,398
    Achievements:
    Party Person Repped! First Class Reputation Distributor Tagger First Class! Repped! Second Class

"Meow."
    Throw the cats at someone chasing an ally - or to tank a tower - and tell me Bastet can't do anything for her friends.
    Learn Smite with tough love on my #SargeSeries
    Motörheads is recruiting! Sign up here

A Tragic Product of Swedish Advertising Demigod SirKeksalot's Avatar
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 219
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Reputation Distributor 25000 Experience Points Repped! First Class Full Profile!
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkFuma View Post
    I wouldn't joke about that. I had a Kali support on my side one time and it worked...
    Quote Originally Posted by LuxInterior View Post
    Throw the cats at someone chasing an ally - or to tank a tower - and tell me Bastet can't do anything for her friends.
    If you guys actually missed the reference, I cannot be held responsible for what I do next.
    I tell people I'm bi, but what I really mean is [B] I O N I C L E

Muh Concepts

Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 788
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 1000 Experience Points Repped! First Class 1 year registered
    If you guys actually missed the reference, I cannot be held responsible for what I do next.
    ... /runsaway
    Join the cult of Khepri for he is Love and Life.

God Concepts:

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 389
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Conversation Starter 5000 Experience Points Repped! Second Class Veteran
    I actually prefer bruiser, I don't like to depend on my team because when I do and I hope they follow me, there I am, alone against the whole team with my ult waiting someone to actually hit them... Then I die and they blame me. So yeah, I prefer being able to do at least some damage and kill someone.
    Favorite gods: Nemesis, Ne Zha, Janus, Apollo, Cabrakan, Freya, Chaac

Senior Member Chosen JustRun175's Avatar
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 232
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points
    In my opinion: neither, I'm not saying build dmg in supp but be sure to build things that help you. If ur team sucks/ u have no faith at all go bruiser sure. After you get the defensive auras you can get items that just make you tanky or even some dmg if you already quiet tanky or whatever. As long as what you're building helps the team that's all that matters. Do you bait the enemy team into dumping all their dmg into you? great get mail of renewal and keep spamming taunt and laugh. They always get away from your cc chain? get gem of iso. Are you being ignored in fights? get mystical mail and Etc

Senior Member Chosen ShinigamiXzero's Avatar
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 919
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points
    I think the new guardian looks great and happy Ganesha is made that way. Now I shouldn't have to deal with instant lockers playing a guardian that have no idea how to player a guardian. I don't need a full damage guardian who hides behind the team and only attacks when someone is critical and get melted in two seconds. I personally like building auras because usually if the team is good or decent it helps them move more smoothly. And I prefer to be slightly negative with a win then positive with a lost.

Now guardians that build sololy for them don't bother me as long as they can protect the team and actually be in the frontline.

Senior Member Infamous PapaRodin's Avatar
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 543
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Repped! First Class Party Person Tagger Third Class Full Profile!
    Quote Originally Posted by NefariousFusion View Post
    The upcoming release of Ganesha and it's purely supportive playstile, brought up multiple topics about what is the better use for a guardian.

I don't see how Ganeshas playstyle is purely supportive. He has high damage some mobility and a lot of CC.
    Many in the community believe that Ganesha design is "wrong", a fully focused support that will give the kills and relative bonus to his teammates, wich means he will have a lot of trouble coming online and will find behind in comparison with his team.

The community would be wrong about this impression. The only thing that is "purely supportive" about Ganesha is his passive and even that has a lot of benefits that he can reap just for himself. Putting that aside, he should have no problems whatsoever coming online at this day and age.
    Wich brings out the question, better be selfish or selfless?

Neither.

There is little to no point in building a guardian glass cannon in most cases whereas being a selfless aura bot is a waste of a guardians potencial for the most part. Finding the proper balance of Defense, CDR and Penetration is what makes a guardian a boon to his friends and a menace to his enemies. Ganesha is no difference. High base numbers, lots of CC and Utility and already somewhat low cooldowns allow you to be a true pest for your enemies which in turn sets your teams plays up nicely.

TL;DR, just build to win.
    The community is pretty much divided on this regard, we have the one that encourage a bruiser playstile on guardians, sto they can stand out on their own, and others that finds much better to help the team as much as they can.

What's your opinion about this?
    IS it wrong to be selfish? is it wrong to be selfless?
    Being a bruiser ain't selfish. You can still control and peel with your abilities and are still a sizeable meatshield. I would even say that forgoing auras for CDR makes you a better helper than having auras to mitigate some damage for your allies.
    If someone read some of my previous posts about guardians, will know that I am a support lover, and I believe that the high base damage the guardians are equipped with is for compensate the fact they are supposed to focus more on defense, utility, and eventually Hybrid instead of pure damage items.
    It is the other way around. Because they have high base damage (and in some cases a lot of damaging abilities (like Cabrakan, damage on every skill)), you really want penetration and CDR on them to really make the most of it. Everything else would just be a waste.
    I am sure at least two well known members of this community will heavily disagree with what I said, as much as I heavily disagree with what they said recently about the subject.
    Stuff in quotes in a quote.
    Papa Rodins Words of Wisdom
    An Index Page for threads created by me for you.

Last Update: Let's fix this God: Nu Wa!