Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Guardians: better Selfish or Selfless?

Senior Member Chosen NefariousFusion's Avatar
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Veteran 5000 Experience Points

Guardians: better Selfish or Selfless?

The upcoming release of Ganesha and it's purely supportive playstile, brought up multiple topics about what is the better use for a guardian.
    Many in the community believe that Ganesha design is "wrong", a fully focused support that will give the kills and relative bonus to his teammates, wich means he will have a lot of trouble coming online and will find behind in comparison with his team.
    Wich brings out the question, better be selfish or selfless?
    The community is pretty much divided on this regard, we have the one that encourage a bruiser playstile on guardians, sto they can stand out on their own, and others that finds much better to help the team as much as they can.
    What's your opinion about this?
    IS it wrong to be selfish? is it wrong to be selfless?

If someone read some of my previous posts about guardians, will know that I am a support lover, and I believe that the high base damage the guardians are equipped with is for compensate the fact they are supposed to focus more on defense, utility, and eventually Hybrid instead of pure damage items.
    I am sure at least two well known members of this community will heavily disagree with what I said, as much as I heavily disagree with what they said recently about the subject.
    I can be a guardian angel

or a rampaging demon

A Tragic Product of Swedish Advertising Demigod SirKeksalot's Avatar
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 219
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Reputation Distributor 25000 Experience Points Repped! First Class Full Profile!
    Being "selfish" is actually better for your team because it frees you up to do things on your own while not removing your ability to frontline. Build defense and damage for yourself over Sov, HW, and GoT, as those don't really offer substantial teamwide benefits in any case.

Quote Originally Posted by NefariousFusion View Post
    I am sure at least two well known members of this community will heavily disagree with what I said, as much as I heavily disagree with what they said recently about the subject.
    I am sure one of them is a sauce enthusiast and the other has a cowboy avatar.
    I tell people I'm bi, but what I really mean is [B] I O N I C L E

Muh Concepts

Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 788
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 1000 Experience Points Repped! First Class 1 year registered
    Neither is wrong really because both are capable of of supporting in some way.

A selfish guardian is capable of fighting by themselves and provide another source of damage in a fight. They can still be pretty tanky and have a lot of cdr. The only downside is that they might not be as tanky as they could be and/or they don't provide as much supporting auras like a selfless build might.

A selfless guardian is capable of taking more hits and generally provide more auras for a team. They can usually stay in the fight longer. The downside is that they're weak without their team and are almost incapable of defending an objective by themselves. By going selfless, you're putting most of your faith into your team's abilities. By contrast, a selfish guardian can usually do more by themselves, but at the cost of auras and defensive items.
    Last edited by DarkFuma; 04-23-2017 at 11:35 AM.
    Join the cult of Khepri for he is Love and Life.

God Concepts:

Senior Member Chosen
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 716
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points 1 year registered Repped! Second Class
    Personally I like sovereignty as a selfish defense item, it gives 60 physical defense and a nice chunk of hp, with hp5. I like it much better than nemean anyway and its 0 health for 30 more protections. Heartward I only really use in assault for its mp5 aura though, bulwark and pestilence are just plain better. Guantlet I only use if I'm going for the health(like on Hercules or something when my opponents refuse to build antiheal). The aura is really more just a slight bonus for the item, would be better if it gave at least 30 protections instead though then people would probably say it is too OP in comparison to things like midgaurdian mail even though midguardian's passive is awesome.

The Mad Hatter Prestigious Relanah's Avatar
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 938
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points Repped! First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by NefariousFusion View Post
    Many in the community believe that Ganesha design is "wrong", a fully focused support that will give the kills and relative bonus to his teammates, wich means he will have a lot of trouble coming online and will find behind in comparison with his team.
    I honestly am curious about how these people play that because they can't get kill credit outside of solo kills, they'll struggle to come online (I.e. Won't hit level 5 at a reasonable time... Since that's really the only stipulation for a support "Coming online" is to get ult and a couple of cheapo auras...)

On Topic:

Essentially as long as you get Sov and Heart, do whatever with your other 4 items.

Those auras really help the team, especially the squishy Hunters and Mages who normally build full glass cannon all the time.

Though, it's not as if they're that bad for going bruiser either, given how cost effective they are in terms of stats (200 health + 60 phys prots + 25HP5 for 2100g and 200 health + 65 mag prots + 20MP5 for 2100g)

You can go full support and build more auras if you wish and aura-bot, or you can build selfish defences and be a immortal wall on the frontlines, or you can build damage and be a tanky bruiser.

Any option is fine.

But for the love of god, pick up the insanely useful cheap as chips and great value auras...
    Preferred Gods:
    Aphrodite, Awilix, BAEllona, Da Ji, Discordia, Fenrir, Janus, Jing Bae, Nike, Nox, Skadi, Sol and The Morrigan.

We need more kawaii skins!

Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points 1 year registered Repped! Third Class
    the kit looks amazing i dont see what the problem is

people who think its bad dont know theyre playing support and if they do they probably think support means like "go in 1v5 rambo kill everything" rather than "help your team"

ganeshas way of helping his team literally takes the skill of not trying to steal kills and throws it right out the window which allows for the ganesha to be a lot more aggressive because he doesnt have to worry about funneling gold into one person because he'll do it anyway
    delete fat
    i need to make it clear that objectively speaking raijin is the most attractive god in this game

Senior Member Honoured LittlePebble02's Avatar
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 791
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Repped! Second Class 1 year registered
    Cause heaven forbid guardians are anything else besides a CC aura bots to the point people wonder why hi rez just makes a totem pet that follows the adc

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 1,491
    Achievements:
    Veteran Repped! First Class Reputation Distributor Party Person Discussion Ender
    I prefer the selfless guardian with his double or triple auras. When you can give your Hunter and burst Mage an extra 50/40 prots without them even needing to invest in defense, you will already see a pay off. Regardless of whatever build path you go, buy Thebes. If you are going support, build tank/support. If you want to go your bruiser guardian so badly, than play jungle or solo. Leave support to the support players.
    Last edited by Goobis; 04-23-2017 at 03:06 PM.
    Your Local Resident Trash Doggo
    I'm cheating on Anubis, Camazotz is in the dumpster now.

Senior Member Chosen NefariousFusion's Avatar
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Veteran 5000 Experience Points
    I strongly believe that in every class based game, every class can be played in two ways: the way the game suppose you to play, and the one created by the community.
    Everyone should play the class and character that fits their playstile the most, they shouldn't fit themself to the playstile.
    What makes me angry is the arrogance of certain groups that impose their custom playstyle as the "only good one" and treath the others as "Trash" or "for noobs".
    Here in Smite I enjoy a lot playing guardians as "support": being and building "selfless", I want to help my team survive and turn the tide of a teamfight.
    Even when I'm not playing guardian, I will still be really supportive: use every root, slow, cripple, silence, stun and everything I have for save a teammate in danger.
    I've tried to play more selfish, to build bruiser on a guardian, but it worked only Cabrakan, while for the rest it had only the result to have double my death count while still doing pitiful damage.
    As I posted more than once also, I see everyday the proof that guardians doesn't need damage items for deal damage, as the countless times I saw full defense Bacchus towerdiving, killing one or two enemies, and walking away unscattered.
    And Athena, Xing Tian, Ymir, Kumbakharna... I see it daily.
    So It's really hard for me to believe that guardians should be selfish, and it feels wrong to me hearing that aura items are "trash" and force a "slave" playstile.
    A lot of players here think that full support work only when in a party, because you know your team and you know you can count of them.
    It works way more often that players believe...well, expecially outside the conquest gamemode.
    And can bring a lot of satisfaction receiving compliments from your team because of the constant support you brought.

at the end, however, this is a just matter of what works best for each player.
    I can be a guardian angel

or a rampaging demon

Senior Member Prestigious LuxInterior's Avatar
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,398
    Achievements:
    Party Person Repped! First Class Reputation Distributor Tagger First Class! Repped! Second Class
    As Buddha would say: don't be a square, but don't get so high you throw your guts up next day. (Or something like that.)

Nobody's selfish as long they're trying to help to keep their friends alive (by killing enemies sometimes) and nobody's a saint when they're trying to kill enemies by proxy.

To tell the truth, any player worth their salt knows that everybody's a support. Anybody can and absolutely should help their friends with their CC or just damage to scare enemies away, even bodyblocking if that doesn't kill them. Also warding and buying antihealing/antiodin etc.

So, back on topic, it's all about strategy. Of course the rest of the team would prefer to have a free Spirit Robe, but that's not always what will change the match's outcome.

There's no doubt that lots of guardians can make for superb killers. So, if you're in a pre-made, have an agreement on what kind of support you'll be giving. If you're soloing, check the situation. If your team is really on point, of course you may decide that's in everybody's best interest to give auras.

If they're not, there's no problem in playing on the dark side. Also, auras are more important the longer the laning phase is taking and the most mana-hungry and dependent your hunter is. If you have an Izanami eating minions for breakfast without abilities and you'll be roaming the jungle for most of the game, auras become way less crucial.

Winning is what matters, not if some crybaby will blame you for going leeroy, being out of position, eating 5 ultimates and thinking they would survive with your auras. Also, remember you can way well sell them.
    Last edited by LuxInterior; 04-23-2017 at 06:04 PM.
    Learn Smite with tough love on my #SargeSeries
    Motörheads is recruiting! Sign up here