Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Untraditional support ideas

Junior Member Senior Minion skoots7's Avatar
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 284
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points

Untraditional support ideas

Usually in conquest I end up playing support because nobody else will, which i'm fine with. I'd rather play support than have somebody be horrible at it or worse, intentionally feed.

Lately I've been bored with the traditional guardian supports and have been trying different warrior supports. Guan Yu was an obvious one, but I've found that Hercules and Ravana did well also. Hercules' pull and stun combo can keep enemy junglers and supports off your adc and he has incredible lane sustain. I was able to constantly body block for my adc when low health and heal right back up.
    As Ravana, I didn't have to worry about enemy support's hard cc and I could bully the enemy adc, stun and let my adc rack up kills while keeping enemy adc at low levels/build.
    I'd like to try Nox next. Her silence and root should make her a capable support, although I worry about not having strong frontline in late game, so I'd have to wait to try this until I get a guardian jungler.

What are some other unconventional supports? Also If you have tried any unusual supports i'd like to hear what they did well or where they lacked or maybe what you would have done differently. This is all about fun, but at the same time, I'd like to perform well enough to give my team a good shot at winning.

Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 207
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Repped! Second Class 3 months registered Full Profile!
    Most Warriors make good supports.

Odin, Ama, Vamana, Chaac, Erlang etc...

Heck, I used to run Nike support quite a lot.

Just don't build like a fucking solo laner if you do pick Warrior support... So tired of people throwing the game because they go Warrior support and still build standard solo laner Warrior Tabi > BoV > Pest and can't frontline worth crap until like 15+ mins in by which time the game is over...

Some mages could work too.

Aphro, Chang'e, Hades... Usually being more of a back lines type support such as Khepri or Sylvanus might.

The Morrigan could also work too. She has that inherent stun, has some nice mobility for rotations and allies help with her damage. Also, if an important teamfight happens... Well, just ult into the enemies support xD

As far as Assassins go, gods like Fenrir, Hun Batz and Thor can work. Relying on their CC to disrupt things, but having less than stellar clear early.

I've also seen some people play Nemesis and Ne Zha as support to some degree of success.
    Preferred Gods:
    Amaterasu, Aphrodite, Ares, Awilix, BAEllona, Hel, Jing Wei, Nemesis, Nox, Serqet, Skadi, Sol and The Morrigan.

We need more kawaii skins!

Junior Member Senior Minion CnJerk's Avatar
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 177
    Achievements:
    31 days registered 100 Experience Points Repped! Third Class
    Chaac support is best support. No really Warrior Tabi or Greaves + Thebes + SoV + Heartward + Shield of Regrowth + Situational Item (attack or defense)

Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1 year registered 1000 Experience Points
    Nox would make a decent support as well. Two forms of cc, and her ult causes the target(s) to deal less damage.

Senior Member Demigod SirKeksalot's Avatar
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,087
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Reputation Distributor 1 year registered 25000 Experience Points Party Person
    Apollo has an asston of CC to keep his partner alive. Same for Poseidon.

Senior Member Prestigious McKnightrider's Avatar
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,584
    Achievements:
    1 year registered Repped! Second Class Repped! Third Class 25000 Experience Points Party Person
    Nox + Loki duo lane.....the possibilities!

Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 822
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class 1 year registered Conversation Starter 5000 Experience Points Repped! Second Class
    Ne Zha supp ftw. Awilix maybe. I've played Nemesis support before. And I've always wanted to try Isis supp, I don't about it though. Nu Wa might be interesting, you could get a lot of health and your minions would have more too.
    Favorite gods: Nemesis, Ne Zha, Janus, Apollo, Cabrakan, Freya, Chaac

Junior Member Senior Minion Groumpff's Avatar
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 225
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class
    Here's my thoughts about "untraditional supports" :

Mages :
    - Nox (2 CC)
    - Isis (2 CC, Heal with Ulti, passive that share mp5 and hp5)

Of curse Hel, Aphro and Change.

Assassins:
    -Thor (2 CC + semiglobal presence). Ratatouille can be a choice here too (but Thor CC are longer)
    -Fenrir
    -Nezha
    -Thanatos

Warriors :
    Prentry much all since you have CC or form of utility (for Example Chaac isn't a really good choice)

Also, a lot of people forget Cabrakan because they out him in solo and jungle cases, but he works really well as a supp.

At least, just look at the kit
    You must have some sort of CC and/or utility

If you have, then you can give it a try. It's just up to you to find how use it in the best way (passive, aggressive, gank etc...)

And hope to don't match with people with closed mind

Junior Member Senior Minion
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 266
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points
    i always like to think that osiris is a good one for he can shot down enemy damage, healing and has a high slowing potential. also he can build anything as long as there is a quinsais in his build later on he does at least a somewhat reasonable amount of damage.

also like sun wukong for (1) Poking, (2) Stun or Knochup and (3) Slow...

i am 100% on your side with untraditional supports i always liked that "meta" whatever but the thing is you have to know a 100% what you are doing and still might end up loosing because warriors that go with low power builds are useless because they lack of hard CC guardians usually have and mages/assassins have a rough early game because build protections will still make them somewhat squishy and not building power/pen/cd makes them not very viable neither...

best idea is to go untraditional position picks for the whole team i guess... hunter mid, warrior + mage duo lane could be a great choice or similiar...

but at the end of the day your team comp needs 2 front liners end game and a good amount of CC to shut/lock down, who ever offers it to your team comp... so if you are really careful with your pick it is great to go untraditional meta in general but if you are not you will always be this very little bit behind in CC especially and maybe over all.

Best example for a warrior support fail in my experience is nike. in theory she sounds so great! Tanky ult, knockup mobile jump, protection shred... but if you play her you will realise she is not as tanky as a guardian, she does a suprising low amount of damage if not built with power and that little bit of CC she has makes her commit to the edge of suicide every time. So ask your self and ask your team. Do you prefer a solid early and mid game with a high amount of CC or do you want a weak early and mid game just so everybody has +6% more movement speed in the late game and still fail because you lack of CC........

===

edit: if you want check out emilzy he plays a good amaterasu support and has a lot of material on his youtube channel

Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 695
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points Veteran
    I sometimes go Chaac, Tyr or Herc supp but with Bluestone or Swift Wing(which is probably the most underrated item in the game) instead of classic support starter, after 1 minute from start my ADC or I am getting first blood quite often.
    This feeling when your team is far behind and you have no prospects for late game but for some reason players still doesnt want surrender - MOBA Cancer.