Thread: Lesbian should not be profanity.

Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 318
    Achievements:
    7 days registered

Lesbian should not be profanity.

As a sapphic woman, I'm honestly pretty insulted that lesbian is still considered profanity or a slur. Lots of people would say that I should just turn off the profanity filter, but honestly, the issue is how LGBTQA+ is seen and respected in society and in the gaming world.

Lesbians are not dirty. There is nothing inherently adult or sexual about a woman who loves women. It is more than a tag on adult websites.

It is a lifestyle and identity for many people. There are plenty of slurs and crude remarks myself and other members of the LGBTQA+ community hear on a daily basis. I don't mind filtering out slurs, but lesbian is not a slur, and I sincerely hope that a game that supposedly prides itself on it's acceptance of LGBTQA+ amends this mistake.

Senior Member Infamous Trubblegum's Avatar
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,238
    Achievements:
    Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class 25000 Experience Points Party Person Veteran
    I mean, das pretty f0kin gay bro.

But srsly, Lesbians are awesome, why is the word filtered
    Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.

Look behind you... no the other way... c'mon almost there! No, what are you doing? Gods above..
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 611
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    My question is why does everyone want to get in everyone else's business? Who cares who likes what? Is it your life? No, then go away. I grew up with my Uncle Scottie and his husband who are just about the coolest people ever so maybe I'm just biased but whatever, I'll be who I am and not sick my nose in others business.

Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 382
    Lol wut? The word lesbian Is considered profanity? I need to check that shit

Ex-Forum Moderator Infamous IrishPotato's Avatar
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 691
    Achievements:
    1 year registered Discussion Ender 10000 Experience Points Full Profile! Arm of the Law!
    Awards:
    Arm of Law
    It's not about the word itself, but the context. There are more reasons for the word to be used in an insulting derogatory way with your every day toxic player than it is for it to be used positively in this game. It's not an MMO where talking in chat is generically casual and the word lesbian would be allowed
    Don't be fooled by the EX. The King is immortal

Achievements:
    7 days registered
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishPotato View Post
    It's not about the word itself, but the context. There are more reasons for the word to be used in an insulting derogatory way with your every day toxic player than it is for it to be used positively in this game. It's not an MMO where talking in chat is generically casual and the word lesbian would be allowed
    Maybe, except the word gay isn't censored out. Also, I honestly don't care about lesbian being used as "profanity", because its not. The issue is that its being censored like its profanity when its not. (also, being called a lesbian is not insulting.) There are words lesbians hear that are definitely derogatory. Censor those out, not our identity.

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Achievements:
    3 months registered 500 Experience Points Repped! Third Class
    It's possible that it's not censored as a term of slander, curse or ect, but more what it implies and how it would effect younger players. I agree that for an adult membership that Lesbian should not be censored, but it's a community that also has a younger audience that is increasingly more computer savvy. Even those who might not know the word may search it and come across adult content. However if that were the case, all aspects of sexual identity and gender identity (including body parts) Should be filtered as well.

Failing that, it's worth noting that most of us who are likely playing the game are from the America's or Europe. In many places of the world all implication towards aspects of the LGBT community is still very much banned language, and banned practice. It could be in this method instead that it is filtered out, however again, this means the filter should be hitting more words than what it already is.

Look behind you... no the other way... c'mon almost there! No, what are you doing? Gods above..
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 611
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by MissPuddingPop View Post
    It's possible that it's not censored as a term of slander, curse or ect, but more what it implies and how it would effect younger players. I agree that for an adult membership that Lesbian should not be censored, but it's a community that also has a younger audience that is increasingly more computer savvy. Even those who might not know the word may search it and come across adult content. However if that were the case, all aspects of sexual identity and gender identity (including body parts) Should be filtered as well.
    I don't think people should "hide" things like this from younger people. Parents should be the one censoring their kids chat.(This is more a side note than actual feedback -->) Plus if kids don't learn about... well at the basics NonDisneyfied romance then that can lead to some closeminded douches.
    Last edited by ChrisRobare; 04-10-2017 at 10:41 PM.

Achievements:
    7 days registered
    Quote Originally Posted by MissPuddingPop View Post

Failing that, it's worth noting that most of us who are likely playing the game are from the America's or Europe. In many places of the world all implication towards aspects of the LGBT community is still very much banned language, and banned practice. It could be in this method instead that it is filtered out, however again, this means the filter should be hitting more words than what it already is.
    Lesbian isn't a dirty word kids need to be protected from. It's not a NSFW term. It's just about girls liking girls? Lesbians can hold hands, kiss, and be together without it being sexual. Heterosexuals do that kinda stuff all the time in front of kids.

Anyway, this is also a game that happens to have a LGBT flag that's probably the most easily unlocked player avatar in the game, so it's a little too late to worry about "making homophobes uncomfortable" or whatever. Lesbian isn't an insult, slur, derogatory, or anything remotely close.