Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Chest System

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 249
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Repped! Second Class 3 months registered Full Profile!
    Chests make sense if they're releasing a batch of themed skins. Such as if they released a bunch of Pirate themed skins at once. So you roll the dice for just that theme (Which will be like what, 5-6ish skins usually?)

Putting non-themed skins or ones that are released much later into chests with a ton of items in just deters anyone who would want to buy gems and pick it up.

I know I'd love to drop a few quid on some gems to pick up a nice skin. Like if it cost 800-1000 gems that'd be £10 or there abouts, I'd do that in a heartbeat for a dope ass skin.

However, when it's rolling the dice on a 1/55 chance, it's complete bullshit. I'm not willing to spend £140 just to try and guarantee the 1 item from a chest I care about.

Like, this kind of shit (Combined with Limited skins) will really drive away new customers. Not to mention, wearing the patience of existing customers (Especially if people take a break due to the shitty MM driving them away and come back and oh look they missed some dope ass Limited skins because fuck you and your "Not playing Smite 24/7 365 days a year" BS)
    Preferred Gods:
    Amaterasu, Aphrodite, Ares, Awilix, BAEllona, Hel, Jing Wei, Nemesis, Nox, Serqet, Skadi, Sol and The Morrigan.

We need more kawaii skins!

Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 388
    Okay the new morrigan skin was one of the first skins that I have wanted in months of playing this game. I had the gems to get the skin and very rarely even buy skins. I saw the skin was in a chest and I'm done. I want to buy skins so I can support a game I enjoy but if they are so unwilling to sell me anything that I want to buy then they don't need my support. I have spent more money on league of legends which I rarely ever play just because I can on a whim buy the skin for a character I like.

The chest system is horrible I barely buy items so when a chest is released with 50+ items in it that means in order to get the SINGLE skin that I want I need to spend 10,000 gems which is $135. That is fucking insane and I cannot spend the same amount of money on a skin for a game than I would on my graphics card. I WANT to buy skins for my favorite gods but I cannot spend that much money on them. The only way I can see this working is if chests are extremely inexpensive or if they have less items

The best solution I can see is to either release skins and just put them behind a time wall if you want them to be exclusive, Put them in a chest of no more than 5-10 items all with a similar them and level of quality, or finally JUST RELEASE SKINS WITH NO STRINGS ATTACHED. Until something is done about the chests I'm not buying any more gems.

Junior Member Senior Minion skoots7's Avatar
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 284
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points
    Although I'm not a fan of the chest system, I'm not going to complain about it. Smite is a free game that has constant updates to keep the game *cough* balanced. I've played a lot of "free games" are free to play, pay to win. One of my favorite things about smite is that the ability to win is not determined on how much money you put into the game.
    That being said, I have spent money on skins and chests and have a nice collection, but I would never spend ton of money on chests for the same reason that I don't spend money on lottery tickets. It sucks when you roll a ward skin or avatar, but this is how the game makes money to maintain and upkeep the game. If you want Hi-Rez to keep coming out with new skins then you will have to pay for it, otherwise just enjoy the game with the free skins they give you.

Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 384

Chest system is garbage.

I know there's other posts like this one... but this is me complaining, so my thread! and the more people who post and complaining the better. cause this is just insane. Kinda stupid actually. Sticking the new skins in a chest 54 other skins that no body likes. ok maybe theres a few that i like.
    I know your trying to make money but you're going at it the wrong way! you are probably losing more money this way. let people straight up buy the skin...

Like remember odyssey. why cant we have a different event like that where we can straight up buy the new skins that we want and then if you miss the opportunity to buy them during the event. make a chest with all the new great skins and nothing else. maybe a voice pack for the 2 or 3 newest gods that also come with a skin and that's it.

These chests should maybe have 5 items in them and 3 of them should be new skins that everyone might wants.

Hirez you are losing money by doing this crap. by sticking one great skin in with 54 others, you throw away money. most people wont dish out that kind of money. a lot more will dish out money for guaranteed prices and items. make em 400 gems or 500 gems. single skin purchase. more people will buy this more then this other 55 skin chest crap.
    Hell i think you could be losing some of your fan base by this as well.
    Oh and i play smite on 3 different systems so i probably might have bought a skin twice or 3 times lol. but unlikely now.
    Oh and lastly, most of the friends i have that play smite will gladly buy a new skin that comes out that they like but when they realize its in a chest they will not even touch a chest with 55 skins in it. like oh, i guess that's one skin I am not getting.
    Last edited by Kintar027; 03-14-2017 at 12:28 PM.

Senior Member Chosen RonanTheGreat's Avatar
    "I have trodden the path of sanctity, and all that happened was I lost a shoe"
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 1000 Experience Points 3 months registered Repped! First Class
    See, the problem here is they either abolish the chest system and have all skins direct purchase, and as Kek pointed out they would probably have to increase the cost to mitigate losses on chest sales, which in turn would probably put just as many people off because they would deem the skins expensive and Hi-Rez of being rip off merchants, or they keep chests but make them specific theme as Relanah said.

Thing is, regardless of either option people will still complain, because at various times none of the above options will suit everyone. If they had the skin in a theme chest with 6 possible rewards that cost 400 gems, the people who only have 800 gems and can't afford to buy more until next pay day who roll twice and don't get what they want will complain, either about unfavourable rng or cost. If it was direct purchase at say 1000 gems, the same people will complain about greedy Hi-Rez.

You can never appease all factions. People will always find a reason to feel hard done by, and the truth is you are owed nothing. People can say the various skins make all the difference, but that is frankly horseshit. They can potentially add to enjoyment, but they do not alter the dynamic of the game in any way. If people did not stock up on gems when there was a sale, sad day for you. If you couldn't afford gems when they were on sale, thats not the fault of Hi-Rez. If you feel a dice roll is unfair, then either don't ever gamble or find a way to stack the deck in your favour.

Really the only viable solution I could see is if Hi-Rez had a poll relating to new skins, whereby the community votes on which should be direct purchase, unless of course Hi-Rez alter their business paradigm, but I guarantee even if this became the case, people would still complain.
    'Two guys walk into a bar, you'd think the second guy would have ducked'
    YOU ARE OWED NOTHING

On the Plains of the Carpathian Basin (Hungary)
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Achievements:
    1 year registered Full Profile! Repped! First Class 5000 Experience Points
    My problem is not that we have chests..my problem is that we have at least twice as much exclusive stuff than direct-purchasable ones.

The Morrigan skin is not even chest-worthy. It's a simple T3 skin with a nice vp. That's all. At least the Izanami skin is something I can believe to be in a chest (T4 skin, which nowdays are only in chests) and Loki skin is seasonal so I'm alright with that, even though they lied about the bundle being purchasable and they just put it into the Spring Festival Chest.

I just feel like Hi-rez is getting grredier with each patch and put everything good in chest. In a short -term, it works, but in long run it hurts. New players are taken off as most stuff are in chest and old players are just getting tired of seeing all good skins in chest. Like, it's bad when you watching patch and seeing the skins this thought goes through your head "damn, I hope it will be in a small chest at least". Heck, I am surprised whenever we actually get a direct-purchasable skin, even if those are only 400 gems as the T4 skins are in chests.

I would like to support this game, but this is getting out of control and I'd rather buy orbs on _Brave Souls now thean buying gems on Smite. Sad, but true.
    Genie of the Forum!

Half human though and free, so I only have semi-phenomenal, nearly cosmic power, but still magical nonetheless

Nu Wa and Medusa (or as I call them, snake ladies) are love and life <3

Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 3,058
    Achievements:
    Veteran Tagger Third Class 50000 Experience Points Discussion Ender Party Person
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintar027 View Post
    Hirez you are losing money by doing this crap.
    This example and response both probably sound like a broken record, but if they are still pumping out chests after three years since the system was first introduced, obviously they are not losing money. If the chest system is still like this, they are making more money off of them rather than direct purchase content.
    *Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.*

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 249
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Repped! Second Class 3 months registered Full Profile!
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicFighter View Post
    This example and response both probably sound like a broken record, but if they are still pumping out chests after three years since the system was first introduced, obviously they are not losing money. If the chest system is still like this, they are making more money off of them rather than direct purchase content.
    To be honest, it's hard to make statements about Hi-Rez's monetary gains.

Both because they've released so few direct purchase skins (When like 90% of skins are chest bound, of course they'll make more money from chests than from direct purchases...), but also because we can't objectively define all the "Lost" money from people who've considered buying gems, but then didn't because of chests.

All we can know for sure is they're making enough money to continue as they are. From chests, tournaments, adventures, Twitch streams etc.

We can't really say that "They make more money using Chests over direct purchases" just as we can't really say "They'd make more money with more direct purchases".

All we can really do is state what WE ourselves have done. I've personally picked up a few chest exclusives (Foxy Amaterasu and Heartbreaker Nox being the most notable) which was okay because the chest pools were small (Though HB Nox chest was WAY overpriced), but prefer to actually buy gems for guaranteed content like Mini Metal Jing Wei, Celtic Adventure (Though I got that free from Twitch Prime...). I'm looking to pick up slutty Russian Athena and Dark Coven Isis too when I get a bit of spare cash.

This isn't to say much about other games that feature direct purchasables. I've probably spent around £100-200 on HotS skins and mounts because why not eh? Payday comes around, dope skin is available, pick it up no probs. Not the same with chests where it's not only waiting for the chest to be available, but then it's a random chance at maybe 1-2 skins that I like and a bunch for gods I don't care for or don't like the skins of.
    Preferred Gods:
    Amaterasu, Aphrodite, Ares, Awilix, BAEllona, Hel, Jing Wei, Nemesis, Nox, Serqet, Skadi, Sol and The Morrigan.

We need more kawaii skins!

Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 280
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1 year registered 1000 Experience Points
    I was foolishly hoping that Breezy Kuku would be Season ticket, that The Morrigan skin would be up for direct purchase, and that one could just simply purchase the Loki bundle. The Iza skin was obviously chest exclusive from the moment it was revealed.
    Imagine my disappointment when I found out that all 4 were locked behind chests. Then watch as that disappointment sank even further when it was a 200 gem chest with 55 items in it. I currently have 26/55, and I already know my odds are still nil in pulling them.

At this point, I've kind of stopped buying skins at all. That's not to say that I don't want a good chunk of these new ones. I'm loving them. But because they're always locked behind some kind of chest, I just simply can't afford to drop $50 for 9 VPs and a Ward Skin.
    You could at least be half decent folk, and remove VPs and Ward skins from any non Odyssey/Enigma/Generic chest, so that I feel as if I received some sort of value for my roll.

Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 3,058
    Achievements:
    Veteran Tagger Third Class 50000 Experience Points Discussion Ender Party Person
    Personally I thought Breezy Kuku would be a promotion for Smite Rivals.
    *Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.*