Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cards that really suck

Junior Member Senior Minion MFAMjolnir's Avatar
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 250 Experience Points 3 months registered
    Hey man, I'm just doing what you guys are doing. Sharing my input. I don't think anyone is in the wrong here. We should try and stay on topic, though.

I was simply stating that without growth, removal, buffs, or recall... The game would be very basic and not require much thought to reach the "skill cap." Yeah, some things need to be tweaked. However, the game feels like it's in a really good spot right now.

What about testing out a larger map and putting range constraints on removal/spells? I think that would be something to think about checking out.
    Last edited by MFAMjolnir; 03-14-2017 at 08:09 PM.
    Never surrender! (Instagram)

Junior Member Minion F33Deration's Avatar
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 138
    Achievements:
    3 months registered 250 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by MFAMjolnir View Post
    Hey man, I'm just doing what you guys are doing. Sharing my input. I don't think anyone is in the wrong here. We should try and stay on topic, though.

I was simply stating that without growth, removal, buffs, or recall... The game would be very basic and not require much thought to reach the "skill cap." Yeah, some things need to be tweaked. However, the game feels like it's in a really good spot right now.

What about testing out a larger map and putting range constraints on removal/spells? I think that would be something to think about checking out.
    I agreed. I'm happy that they added new mechanics. But the problem is that Egyptian is SO COMPLETE, as they can deal with, almost, anything. And the rest of the Pantheons not so much. I know that, as on every game of this style, the different classes need to have unique styles. But with CB5, Greeks got "destroyed" if they fall behind, as their removals are only Judgement and Fire Imp (and even for 4 health minions are such a deal as Judgment need 2 Gods on play). Norse doesnt need much removal as their aggro games is really good, and Chinese have good tempo plays. But they aren't so ridicoulous as Egyptian :P

Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 3 months registered 500 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by MFAMjolnir View Post
    Yeah, some things need to be tweaked. However, the game feels like it's in a really good spot right now.

I like the design decission in CB4 and CB5, but at the same time some things have surfaced that makes the game un-fun. Like Fire Imp + Isis Shield, Guan Crescent Blade spam, Imperial Archer hidden in the corner, Egyptian minions etc.

I think in order to adress removal, you should adress the power of minions and gods. The reason you clear everything is because of the potential of even a single minion. Like op said, Oogway needs to be cleared right away and it's not the only minion. I said I didn't like the egyptian minions, but at the same time cards like Decrepit Bowman and Nike are cards that you can't just clear away and for that reason they are seeing a lot of play. If that kind of minion/god is explored more and kept at a good level removal will not be as potent anymore as well.

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 252
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 3 months registered
    Are we forgetting that Silence will also cleanse the buffed stat and even prevents it from going up any further without completely new cards used? Sometime, leaving a god or a minion alive is the easiest way to shut them down, like cleansing an Aprodite buff and not killing her so they can't reuse her for a new shield-heal.

The game is pretty much all about "Abusing one thing to counter another abusive thing" and that's the nature of card games. Alot of unfun cards will exist but as long as interaction is allowed, it's fine. An egyptian starting off with Pot -> Bastet is one of the worst thing to deal with but if you have Chaos Spawn on hand, it becomes so weak and funny to deal with. That's just how card game works.

When people get used to Isis doing her stuffs with imp, they will start reacting by not playing 1 damage stuffs without special effect, like how most people avoided playing expensive 2 health stuffs because Sunder used to be a neutral card.

Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 3 months registered 500 Experience Points
    I want to point to the fact that Smite Tactics isn't strictly a card game though and I don't think it should be solely treated as such. Putting important things to chance (drawing one copy of Chaos Spawn statistically requires you to draw 8 cards, which is at 5 or 6 mana depending on if you are first or second - not really a reliable way to respond to an early game issue) is just poor design - not the nature of card games. I look at a lot of board game reviews and I see games that adress that issue.

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 252
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 3 months registered
    The entire game is all about playing the right card into the right situation and knowing what work best for your opponent on X turn. If they don't mull for a Chaos Spawn against an Egypt, that's pretty much on the players. If they mull for a Chaos Spawn into someone with little afterlife effect, that's also on the player.

There are so many game changing set-up in the game atm with little to no counter outside preparing ahead of time to deal with it. It's like Norse against Norse. Unless you're sure the enemy has no Mayhem, you don't swarm because if you do, you lose your entire hand and board = loss. It's just that we have very limited cards right now that people just complain about the tempo winning moment that happens the most often and that's Pot into Bastet. The amount of time I see people playing or mulling for Chaos Spawn is so low it's disappointing.