Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Question to veterans: Does Hi-Rez balance fairly well gods?

The Mad Hatter Prestigious Relanah's Avatar
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 938
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points Repped! First Class
    As a new player myself, I've already seen that they're not great at balance.

They've made a significant number of questionable decisions since I've been playing. Stuff like:

- Remove Fatalis effect from Chronos, Sol and Jing Wei because it's too strong for ranged gods to have free Fatalis effect.
    - Compensated Sol with nothing, Jing Wei got her passive nerfed to boot. Chronos got 3 major buffs.
    - Sol eventually got her 1 skill to not be utterly useless at ranks below 5.

Chronos wasn't even that bad after he lost fatalis. He still had a huge movement speed boost and a stun and a direct damage attack in addition to his hard hitting basics. Meanwhile Jing Wei is now among the worst Hunters because her one strength (Getting back to lane quicker) has been made worse, while she never had the best damage either (Since her 1 is pretty awful for damage, her 2 is I think the worst steroid of any Hunter and her 4 is well... It exists).

Other things include:

- Thoth gets stun instead of slow on his 2. You know, the super safe long range shoot through walls/tanks god got given an AoE stun.
    - Everyone complains about it how it was unnecessary and stupid. Reduce the stun to a single god instead of reverting it back to a slow.

- Nike is unbalanced. So nerf her passive about 900 times. Also nerf her only reliable damage source.

- Freya is unbalanced. So leave her as is. Also, buff the items she likes. Because stats yo, disregard that 90% of the community is utter horseshit at the game and skews the stats into negative values so easily.

- Scylla is unbalanced. Lets do nothing after buffing her into IMBA status. Well, until we decide to buff every late-game powerhouses early game with new starter items that are amazing.

- Loki is probably the worst god in the game. Leave him as he is.

- Fatalis is a niche pick. Lets buff it into being really good early game item.
    - Shit, everyone is buying Fatalis now. Lets nerf it so people don't buy it on every ADC, half of Junglers and some Mages. +150g on the price tag *Phew* Crisis averted!

- Terra is too good for her out of combat sustain. We don't like how gods are using their heals for only out of combat sustain.
    - Nerfs the healing output on Monolith. Does nothing about it being killed in a femtosecond during an engagement due to 3 shot dead.
    - Terra is still only being picked for her out of combat sustain. GG.

These are just a few things from the top of my head that have happened in my relatively short time here.

I mean, balance isn't horrendous to the point of unplayability. You can play any god and do fine. But I think that's due to the aforementioned 90% of the community being utter horseshit more so than decent balancing.
    Preferred Gods:
    Aphrodite, Awilix, BAEllona, Da Ji, Discordia, Fenrir, Janus, Jing Bae, Nike, Nox, Skadi, Sol and The Morrigan.

We need more kawaii skins!

Senior Member Chosen RonanTheGreat's Avatar
    "I have trodden the path of sanctity, and all that happened was I lost a shoe"
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 856
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Repped! First Class 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Relanah View Post
    As a new player myself, I've already seen that they're not great at balance.

They've made a significant number of questionable decisions since I've been playing. Stuff like:

- Remove Fatalis effect from Chronos, Sol and Jing Wei because it's too strong for ranged gods to have free Fatalis effect.
    - Compensated Sol with nothing, Jing Wei got her passive nerfed to boot. Chronos got 3 major buffs.
    - Sol eventually got her 1 skill to not be utterly useless at ranks below 5.

Chronos wasn't even that bad after he lost fatalis. He still had a huge movement speed boost and a stun and a direct damage attack in addition to his hard hitting basics. Meanwhile Jing Wei is now among the worst Hunters because her one strength (Getting back to lane quicker) has been made worse, while she never had the best damage either (Since her 1 is pretty awful for damage, her 2 is I think the worst steroid of any Hunter and her 4 is well... It exists).

Other things include:

- Thoth gets stun instead of slow on his 2. You know, the super safe long range shoot through walls/tanks god got given an AoE stun.
    - Everyone complains about it how it was unnecessary and stupid. Reduce the stun to a single god instead of reverting it back to a slow.

- Nike is unbalanced. So nerf her passive about 900 times. Also nerf her only reliable damage source.

- Freya is unbalanced. So leave her as is. Also, buff the items she likes. Because stats yo, disregard that 90% of the community is utter horseshit at the game and skews the stats into negative values so easily.

- Scylla is unbalanced. Lets do nothing after buffing her into IMBA status. Well, until we decide to buff every late-game powerhouses early game with new starter items that are amazing.

- Loki is probably the worst god in the game. Leave him as he is.

- Fatalis is a niche pick. Lets buff it into being really good early game item.
    - Shit, everyone is buying Fatalis now. Lets nerf it so people don't buy it on every ADC, half of Junglers and some Mages. +150g on the price tag *Phew* Crisis averted!

- Terra is too good for her out of combat sustain. We don't like how gods are using their heals for only out of combat sustain.
    - Nerfs the healing output on Monolith. Does nothing about it being killed in a femtosecond during an engagement due to 3 shot dead.
    - Terra is still only being picked for her out of combat sustain. GG.

These are just a few things from the top of my head that have happened in my relatively short time here.

I mean, balance isn't horrendous to the point of unplayability. You can play any god and do fine. But I think that's due to the aforementioned 90% of the community being utter horseshit more so than decent balancing.
    I am in complete agreement and endorse this synopsis
    'Two guys walk into a bar, you'd think the second guy would have ducked'
    YOU ARE OWED NOTHING

Senior Member Prestigious GongsunYiru's Avatar
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 1,798
    Achievements:
    Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class Reputation Distributor Repped! Third Class Discussion Ender
    Awards:
    Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Wefal View Post
    As new player, I have real question to you vets:

Does Hi-Rez balance the gods equally? Even gods you dont see alot?
    Or are they focusing on gods that are more popular? Neglecting the dusty forgotten gods?
    No, it's not equal. Information about balance is derived from three things:

• Community feedback (including pros)
    • Statistics
    • Designers' views of future meta

However, there's also a lot of factors (i.e. performance and enjoyment) that comes to play for balance decisions, which mainly can be divided into:

1. How is this god doing at a competitive level?
    2. How is this god doing at a casual level?
    3. Is this god causing frustration problems or is this character fun?

You can see that it's difficult to hit all points. At the same time, Hi-Rez has a vast array of stat types, but they also consider trends that happen over a longer time (rather than just fixed points in time by looking at current stats).

Furthermore, attention to balance happens topdown first, which means that they first look at gods at the competitive level. This means that gods will be quicker balanced if it causes problems for eSports.

(Source, Source, Source)

Senior Member Chosen Spartan219's Avatar
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 747
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Conversation Starter 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points Repped! Second Class
    they make their decision on win rates if a god is getting higher win rates they will nerf him if a god is getting low win rates they will either buff him or just leave him like with freya because she has low win rates hirez are not nerfing her dmg same with hunters they are OP but a lot of people suck at hunters and play bad and get low win rates so they ar nerfing them

they also take decision through SPL if a god is played a lot in it it might get a nerf if not it wont
    gods are also balanced around conquest because of that you might see some gods being too strong in some game modes
    Last edited by Spartan219; 03-10-2017 at 11:43 PM.

Banned Prestigious Fusionsamurai's Avatar
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 373
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 5000 Experience Points Full Profile! Conversation Starter
    They are horrible at balance. Instead of slowly tweaking gods until they are balanced, they let a god like janus be blatantly overpowered for seasons without real changes.

When they do decide to nerf, they absolutely gut the character. Old hel was considered overpowered, so they made her heal and DAMAGE move a 12s cooldown and cut the scaling by 20% on the heal. She was never picked by anyone after.

Meanwhile, Janus has yet to get the nerf he deserves.

HiRez are horrible.

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead OranGemeo's Avatar
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 11
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Repped! Third Class 1 year registered 1000 Experience Points
    I think Hi-Rez does do a good job primarily with god balance. While there are a select handful of gods that appear overtuned, I would say literally every single god in SMITE can be used and played.With the simple fact that all gods have their place, I'd say they are balancing well. The game is more fun to me if I ignore meta and play the gods I enjoy and do the best I can with them.

I would say some their nerfs/buffs can be a little odd at points, but I very seldom don't understand why they are doing something.

Senior Member Chosen ViralMarketer's Avatar
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 569
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Repped! First Class 5000 Experience Points Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by OranGemeo View Post
    I think Hi-Rez does do a good job primarily with god balance. While there are a select handful of gods that appear overtuned, I would say literally every single god in SMITE can be used and played.With the simple fact that all gods have their place, I'd say they are balancing well. The game is more fun to me if I ignore meta and play the gods I enjoy and do the best I can with them.

I would say some their nerfs/buffs can be a little odd at points, but I very seldom don't understand why they are doing something.
    Finally, at least one person that understands shit. +

Senior Member Honoured BigDingus's Avatar
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 322
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 5000 Experience Points Veteran
    It's mix and match. But don't believe even people say the game is balanced only on Conquest. It's not.

I've posted quite a few links before to where they explicitly state they nerfed gods due to them being too strong in other game modes, and have seen them talk about it quite extensively. Conquest is the primary focus when the god is being developed, but considering it's not their most popular game mode, they have to take into account others as well.

The problem is the same as with many similar games - the more gods that are available, the harder it becomes to keep them all balanced and in line with each other.

On one hand you HAVE to release more gods to keep players interested and diversify the lineup, while simultaneously working to create unique kits and abilities for each. With every new ability creates more potential for unintended interactions or mechanics that are too powerful.

So they then have to tweak numbers (basically everyone), change extra effects on abilities (Sylvanus, Hou Yi, Sol, etc.), adjust cooldown times, etc. to try and balance them, but on occasion it still doesn't fix the problem - eventually leading to a whole rework to improve viability (Nu Wa, Nox, Zeus, among the many).

The problem is it can never be 100% balanced in every respect while meeting the demands for more content and freshness by the fan base. But they do ALWAYS try. More often than not I think they do a good job with it, but there are always times where it seems certain nerfs and buffs are unnecessary.

Quite often the problems arise from the items over the gods themselves. When you take into account trying to maintain balance among all those items and the ways in which they can interact with over 80 gods with over 320 individual abilities (plus passives) you start to see how impossible expecting things to not slip through the cracks is. Even a large and competent team of testers and programmers will never account for evverrryyyything.

Add in that you can never please everyone, and that many people will cry "OP" the first time a god is just revealed in a video without even playing them....Or when they get pubstomped by someone and can't figure out how to counter, they just scream "broken!" without taking into account their own play (easier to blame the god/item other than yourself and your skill). Just look at the amount of new threads that still get started almost daily crying about how OP Loki is (pro tip - he's not).

Sorry for the long post, but I'd recommend play for yourself and follow the patch notes to see what you think for yourself. It's nowhere near perfect, but I still appreciate the effort they put in (minus their constant past obsessions with overly nerfing Khepri and Sylvanus into oblivion lol...but see, even i have my own personal complaints).