Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question to veterans: Does Hi-Rez balance fairly well gods?

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 326
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Veteran 5000 Experience Points

Question to veterans: Does Hi-Rez balance fairly well gods?

As new player, I have real question to you vets:

Does Hi-Rez balance the gods equally? Even gods you dont see alot?
    Or are they focusing on gods that are more popular? Neglecting the dusty forgotten gods?

Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,157
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Reputation Distributor Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class Full Profile!
    Mix and match.

Zhong is seeing love as he's a ghost of a god, but the buffs aren't going to be enough for him.

Over all the balance is really heavy handed with hunters being insane, never nerfing Scylla, baby tapping Freya and immediately buffing Chronos just because they took his fatalis affect away.
    NOODLE FREEDOM FIGHTER!
    Also the potato queen

And Dragon princess
    Miyo is love. Miyo is MiyoBatman. Test.

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead Sypherys's Avatar
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 572
    Achievements:
    1 year registered Full Profile! 1000 Experience Points
    Hello,

As a player ( on Smite since 2013 ), I've seen that the god balance is often very questionnable.

You can either play a super-meta god who'll perform well even if you're medicaly mad and drooling on your keyboard... OR play a god that you like and take the risk to be under-performing, even with a decent gameplay.

Senior Member Prestigious Nalessa's Avatar
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 709
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 5000 Experience Points Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class Repped! Third Class
    I'm gonna be blunt here, no, they don't.

Too many times they pull complete wtf types of buffs like thoth stun, nemesis getting multiple ult buffs in a row even though her ult was always good, it was her clear that needed some help, that's it.

Scylla getting way to many buffs in a row and not touched again in a proper manner to try and lower her back down.

Took them several years to finally nerf janus ult cd, which still should be 120s cd at all ranks, aswell as any and all global/semi global ults.
    Khepri gettin tons of unnecessary nerfs to all of his abilities, except the one that actually needed nerfs which is his ult.

Etc etc etc ...

I really don't know most of the time what goes through the head of the balancing team.
    Especially when one of them claimed release thoth was one of the weakest designed release gods and yet people who understood that he's a long range snipe god did absolutely fine with him, but meanwhile rat apparently is completely fine and balanced, like are you kidding me?
    Last edited by Nalessa; 03-10-2017 at 06:22 AM.
    Tastes like purple.
    Drommels, drommels, drommels!

Senior Member Honoured SpanglyBalls's Avatar
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 481
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered Repped! First Class
    I'm going to say no with a but.

No, because they, as Azilo said, have a tendency of doing things like remove kit based fatalis effects, but then give Chronos, a god who is already strong, buffs because he lost the effect while consigning the other gods who lost that effect further into mediocrity.

But, they do try. The problem as far as I can see it is that balancing appears to be done via committee and spreadsheets. I genuinely have no idea how many of them, if any, play this game. Hunters, a class that are high dps, have quite a lot going for them, in that quite a few have escapes, cc, sustain, and relatively high base stats, which when added to a late game build tends to equal insta gib potential. Despite this they receive buff after buff, their main nerf as a class was goldenbow removal, an item that was barely picked up until Hi-Rez 'balanced' it by making it full power and ms and surprisingly it became broken af.

What seems obvious to me is that the reason Hi-Rez have data that says hunters or certain good mages or whatever are underperforming is due to the fact that in a lot of games I'm in people inst lock multiple types of hunter and mages, usually ones that the archetypical YouTuber has stated 'X god op af', and thus the modern gamer, who seems to learn by watching others play and not practice themselves, picks said god expecting faceroll and Rocky music, instead getting beaten senseless and tone deaf people hammering the tune Stayin Alive out on kitchen utensils.

Consequence of this of course is skewed data, which Hi-Rez look at and go 'huh, X is underperforming, how can we buff' instead of acknowledging that a lot of their players are garbage and should really be sequestered on an island with no internet, just a load of sticks they can hit each other with. Best example of this recently is Susano. A true brain dead press this to win god, who was nerfed to make him harder to play, but in truth it simply created a better spot on the risk/reward scale. And the muppets lost their shit. 'omg Susano weak af Hi-Rez broke him plse buff'. Which they did. Because tears = balance.
    Smite is like a toolbox, there are many means to achieve your goals, plus its full of tools

Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 462
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Tagger Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Lol nope. For one, they balance around 1 mode. Theeir main mode, Conquest, which leaves gods that are decent at the very least there but annoyances in other modes alone. Balance passes aren't frequent, they lightly tap certain gods when moving them one way or another while leaving others in the rain. They don't really engage with the community on balance changes until AFTER they've made a change and decide to step back on them somehow.

Freya, Ah Puch, Hades, Jing Wei, Artemis, Terra, Bacchus, He Bo, Ah Muzen Cab, Zeus, Odin, Sol, Hel, Hercules, Vamana and a few others could use some form of touching up or toning down in my honest opinion but if you look at the patch notes with the recent nerfs to Izanami (</3) and Sylvannis, you'll see where they are focused, which is NOT bad. But it feels neglectful to not even address concerns.
    Last edited by MerryEffinXmas; 03-10-2017 at 06:08 AM. Reason: Left out a few words
    "There are a great deal of memorable chants, speeches, poems, lines and songs throughout our short time encompassing this planet. This, was not one of them." - Elfa 2006

Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 1,292
    Achievements:
    Veteran Repped! First Class Reputation Distributor Party Person Discussion Ender
    They try to, but a lot of things get in the way and cause unneeded buffs.

Like Thoth getting buffed from average to overpowered because of bad ratios or Khepri getting nerfed to the point of double digits because they refuse to touch his broken ultimate because "its unique". Unique things are horrible in this game because god forbid if they are overpowered or broken they will never get nerfed and instead, everything else about the character will (Jing Wei, Khepri) or get completely gutted due to side modes that shouldn't be deciding balance (Ah Puch).
    Last edited by Goobis; 03-10-2017 at 07:57 AM.
    Your Local Resident Trash Doggo
    I'm cheating on Anubis, Camazotz is in the dumpster now.

Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 402
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Repped! Second Class Veteran
    HiRez are obsessed with balancing to "meta" so healers get shafted time after time, and EVERYONE gets damage buffs - regardless of role including supports like Terra and Kuzembo. They also over nerf - theyre known for nerfing entire kits and often even nerfing a god as many as five patches in a row yet fail to notice when those god's dissapear without a trace for hair a year as a result.

Biggest issue for me though is they spend a year tweaking balance, game hits a reasonably sweet spot then a new "season" appears and they basically tear it all up and start again.

I think there's too many gods for them to keep a track of now.

Senior Member Prestigious zecleria's Avatar
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 491
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points Repped! First Class Reputation Distributor Veteran
    i'll say more often than not they do a decent job on it. only problem is they care about communities opinion/stats way too much.
    You may think all gods have huge amounts of courage, but only xbalanque has the balls to use them as weapons.

0.3 instead of 30% again.
    dont skip school kids.
    How to make arguments on forum:if you cant win an argument, call the other side trolls. Always works

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 607
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Not necessarily, but, I'll say this much: if there is a god that's your jam, whether it's Zhong or Osiris or whomever, you can play them and do well. I've seen it. It makes me super jealous when I see it on a god I fail horribly at. So just find the gods that fit you.
    PS4 Player
    Favorites: Kumba, Xing Tian, Bastet, Medusa, Skadi, Anubis, Chang'e

I am not a robot. I selected ALL the images with a storefront and ONLY the images with a storefront.