Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Would you play an MMORPG with gods from Smite?

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead DistrugatoruI's Avatar
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 585
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Tagger Third Class Veteran

Would you play an MMORPG with gods from Smite?

I was thinking what Smite would look like if it was an MMORPG. Everyone would start with 5 random gods (one god from each class) and could unlock all the other gods with gold or through the cash shop. The maximum level would be 20 and each god would have to be leveled up individually. Skills could be upgraded past the 5 points using skill scrolls. Items could be crafted or would drop from jungle camps or dungeons. Jungle camps would be too strong for one player to solo them. The big creep would drop 1 or 2 tier 3 items and the 2 smaller creeps would each drop a tier 1 or tier 2 item. Each god could equip up to six items and would have a separate inventory to carry stuff. Mobs in dungeons would also drop red pots and purple pots. The warehouse would be shared between characters. The map would be much larger and there would be quests just like in other MMORPGs.
    This is a brief description,I know there are a lot of aspects of the game I haven't touched or described in detail.

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 521
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered Full Profile!
    I would play an MMORPG version of Smite, since I'm a huge mythology nerd and which is sort of the reason why I've been stuck with Smite for so long.

Not sure if I quite get your idea fully, but that's just me so dont mind that, but this is pretty much what pops up in my head when I think of the terms "Smite" and "MMORPG":

>If< I would choose to design a Smite MMORPG, I would have the actual Smite gods as special quest givers and other roles. Like in Lord of the Rings for example, there you had tons of random quest givers, but at special occasions you get to meet those major Lord of the Rings characters you are familiar with.

If I would imagine Smite as a MMORPG I would technically re-skin a random MMORPG that we got today and then turn it into a mythology based one, like, just because the idea is based of a MOBA game, doesn't mean that it has to be tied down to these restrictions, like 6 items slots, "jungle" camps etc. This is how I would imagine it to work:
    -Smite gods are quest givers for a main story line / special npc's at various locations etc.
    -You as a player is a demigod, or a person who worships the gods and wants to follow their footsteps.
    -You weapons and designs are a lesser version of the gods you're worshipping, meanwhile the god themselves are these big, mighty and glamorous beings.
    For instance, lets say that you're picking the "north faction", then you can choose to follow the footsteps of Celtic and Norse gods, so if you choose to become a Norse hunter, you start out as this.. "starter" kind of guy, and then after a certain level you can choose path you want to specialize within. Since you're a Norse hunter you're a winter/ice hunter, then you can choose whether you want to become a wolf-tamer kind of hunter or a survival kind of hunter. In Smite words: you can advance to a Skadi kind of playstyle or Ullr kind of playstyle.
    Or if you choose to be Egyptian, a simple mage who later can advance into being a mage of death (Anubis), mage of scribes (thoth), or a mage of fire/sun (ra).
    And how would people know which god you worship? Well, a simple case would be that if you're a hindu who loves destruction, you change skin color and has 4 arms instead of 2 etc.
    Of course you can't make a class for each 83+ gods, so the numbers obviously has to be lowered down to a more reasonable number.

And from there you can go on and discover the world in all pantheon regions and learn more about the world etc. etc.
    • Celestial Thanatos Concept Designer (Current Final Form of Archon).

Senior Member Chosen ShinigamiXzero's Avatar
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 919
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points
    Don't think so for a good MMORPG I feel you need to make your own character. It would pretty much be hack slash dungeon crawler if you could pick from a selection of gods. Having them as quest givers or just things to bestow power to you would just be like deities in any other MMORPG.

Senior Member Chosen BakaCircle9's Avatar
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 474
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by CelestíalGod View Post
    Of course you can't make a class for each 83+ gods, so the numbers obviously has to be lowered down to a more reasonable number.
    not realy. there was a game(not quite MMORPG, its "beat-em-up" actually) called "Grand chase", it had like 20+ playable characters. "was" because official game servers are closed in 2015 if i remember right, but it still exist on private server, btw...

right now there is a game from the same developers with the same thing, almost, it called "Elsword". at the moment it have 12 characters with 3-4 evolution paths(classes) for each, one of them have 4, another one(new one, so it will be more soon) have 2, so its 36 classes right now. each of them have different abilities and mechanic.

so its nothing so hard to put all Smite gods as a playable characters actually, but it will take a lot of time... and it would be hard to balance PvP part.

also, items from Smite can be used too, but it should be devided to types like primary weapon, secondary weapon, armor, etc. like rod of tahuti, beathbringer, stone cutting sword, etc. would be primary weapon. bloodforge, malice, hertseeker, shifter's shield, etc. would be secondary weapon. items like breastplate of walor, hide of the urchin, etc. would be armor. and so on...
    TOP 3 most stupid things i've ever see in this forum:
    she can do 1000 dmg at level 3 by just her 2-and passive
    her 3 should be more like medusa moving backwards movement penalty reduced only by 50%
    Her ult now is her 2 but with lower damage but same cooldown!
    my YouTube channel

Senior Member Infamous PapaRodin's Avatar
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 543
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Repped! First Class Party Person Tagger Third Class Full Profile!
    I am not sure how a Smite MMO would look tbh.

Perhaps something along the lines of you being Random McFuckboy, a character you can create to your own liking that receives the blessings of a couple gods of his choice, thus inheriting some of their abilities to do combat? Not sure.
    Papa Rodins Words of Wisdom
    An Index Page for threads created by me for you.

Last Update: Let's fix this God: Nu Wa!

In Hel, where I want, right next to Her <3 (but really, I live in Cluj-Napoca, Romania)
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,044
    Achievements:
    3 months registered 5000 Experience Points Repped! First Class Conversation Starter Full Profile!
    I don't know about MMOs but there's an app fighting game called Gods of Rome. It's not like Smite, but close enough.

A Tragic Product of Swedish Advertising Demigod SirKeksalot's Avatar
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 219
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Reputation Distributor 25000 Experience Points Repped! First Class Full Profile!
    Eh, depends on whether it's top-down or more like an Elder Scrolls game.
    I tell people I'm bi, but what I really mean is [B] I O N I C L E

Muh Concepts

Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 462
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Tagger Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaRodin View Post
    I am not sure how a Smite MMO would look tbh.

Perhaps something along the lines of you being Random McFuckboy, a character you can create to your own liking that receives the blessings of a couple gods of his choice, thus inheriting some of their abilities to do combat? Not sure.
    Ragnarok approaching, gods from a few base pantheons create warriors to fight for their cause as they prepare for their assaults.

A few base classes with 3 tree paths branching into tanks, healers and dps.

The new age of gods (your characters) work to help your faction gain worshipers by defeating grand challenges in a world where once dead monsters, titans, cults, mythological creatures and legends are back to life and can't be attended to by the leading figures of each pantheon.

Base game 'ends' with the death of certain gods, introduction of other pantheons from other parts of the world and temporary partnerships between pantheons to go after certain gods/legends (Fenrir, Loki, Ares, Ao Kuang, Susano, Scylla, etc).

Expansions bring out new environments, other characters from folklore, abilities, customizations, mounts, more to read and so on.

It can be VERY straightforward but I'm not sure the MMORPG market would be worth testing in its current state. I'd imagine it would do great if modeled after ESO, WoW or even DCUO (if not too cartoony looking).
    "There are a great deal of memorable chants, speeches, poems, lines and songs throughout our short time encompassing this planet. This, was not one of them." - Elfa 2006

Senior Member Prestigious zecleria's Avatar
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 491
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points Repped! First Class Reputation Distributor Veteran
    mmo genre is dead, and smite as an mmo wouldnt really work as long as its not some eso-esque game. and a big reason eso survived is it had a loyal tes fanbase. smite doesnt have that, so it has to be really, REALLY good which i really doubt since a good mmo HAS to have a great story. hirez sucks horribly in storytelling.
    You may think all gods have huge amounts of courage, but only xbalanque has the balls to use them as weapons.

0.3 instead of 30% again.
    dont skip school kids.
    How to make arguments on forum:if you cant win an argument, call the other side trolls. Always works

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 460
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Veteran
    Only if it had Smite combat, nothing else would bring me back to current "modern" MMOs.