Thread: My friends won't play smite again because of this one game

Junior Member Cupidhead phatal808's Avatar
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points 1 year registered

Unhappy My friends won't play smite again because of this one game

This post will probably be removed but hirez please do something so people won't leave. I was playing with 3 friends... one returning after several months and 2 others who just started today. None of them said they will ever play smite again because of games like this.

I understand me being level 30, but not party leader, would pull in at least 1 other level 30 but the players it pulled in were much more skilled than my friends even more skilled than myself.

1 friend who was xbalanque had only played 3 games previous to this one. My friend ymir had only played 8 games previous to this one. My friend janus had not played in a couple months and only got to level 22.

Is it just not possible for a level 30 to bring in new friends to play with? Should I tell my friends to go play by themselves until they get level 30 and at least 70,000 achievement points? One of my friends drives a BMW and the other is a single guy in the NAVY. They would have given you so much money but they were given this instead. This isn't the first time I've tried to get others to play smite with me and this type game happens and they get such a bad taste in their mouth they write smite off forever.

I know you guys hear about matchmaking ALL the time. There is a reason for that. You need to listen to your community sometimes. I can account for at least 4 people who will have tried your game but will never play again because of the matchmaking.

|God Played |Acct Level |Gods Mastered |Achievement Pts |Ranked? |K |D |Note:
    |:----------- |:----------- |:----------- |:----------- |:----------- |:----------- |:----------- |:-----------
    |Artemis |30 |55 |77,620 | |8 |1
    |Ne Zha |30 |83 |97,020 |Silver IV |9 |4
    |Ares | | | | |5 |0 |*private acct*
    |Nu Wa |30 |35 |81,120 |Bronze I |4 |0
    |Zeus | | | | |2 |3 |*private acct - Zeus mastery level 10*
    | | | |255,760 | |28 |8

|God Played |Acct Level |Gods Mastered |Achievement Pts |Ranked? |K |D |Note:
    |:----------- |:----------- |:----------- |:----------- |:----------- |:----------- |:----------- |:-----------
    |The Morrigan |30 |40 |78,470 | |3 |4
    |Arachne |30 |84 |79,620 | |3 |3
    |Janus |22 |8 |2,600 | |1 |6 |*several months not played*
    |Xbalanque |3 |0 |610 | |1 |8 |*4th game of smite ever*
    |Ymir |6 |0 |2,020 | |0 |7 |*9th game of smite ever*
    | | | |163,320 | |8 |28

http://imgur.com/C0iFO23
    Last edited by phatal808; 01-12-2017 at 07:52 AM.

Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 583
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points Veteran
    Well, you cannot balance game when smurfs exist.
    This feeling when your team is far behind and you have no prospects for late game but for some reason players still doesnt want to surrender - MOBA Cancer.

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by ZetoPL View Post
    My friends definitely aren't smurfs.

The other teams stats I looked up from their profiles. Of the 2 accounts that were private, the zeus, was mastery 10 so even if thats the only god he ever played, that's a lot more experience than what my buddies had. Ymir had not even played a moba ever. He's a die hard rust/csgo type guy.

But you are right. I've seen a lot of smurfs too.

Maybe that's what I should do... Maybe I should make a smurf account so that I can play at the same level as my buddies and they don't get roflstomped. hmm...

Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 583
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points Veteran
    Maybe that's what I should do... Maybe I should make a smurf account so that I can play at the same level as my buddies and they don't get roflstomped. hmm...
    Sure you can, learn them basics of the game then lvl up them to 30 and start play at your original account with them, there is no smurfs there or they are very rare. At least you have little chance to get 30 lvls in enemy team.
    This feeling when your team is far behind and you have no prospects for late game but for some reason players still doesnt want to surrender - MOBA Cancer.

Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 799
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by ZetoPL View Post
    Actually, yes, you can, very easily.

All you have to do is make people's MMR/ELO score be based on personal performance rather than whether or not they were on the winning/losing team. Granted, a brand new L1, never played at all smurf account will still rolfstomp people at the ELO zero-point, but with this alternate system, they would gain many more points much faster, and so smurfs would have to create a new account much sooner if they wanted to continue to play in the lower ELO ranked games.

Basically this new system (MMR/ELO score based on personal performance rather winning/losing) would severely "punish" smurfing, being carried, DC'ing, and trolling, as well as reward consistent skillful play, by making players skill ratings way more accurate. The only real problem lies in creating a mathematical formula that calculates a players performance in the game. You would still use the basic ELO formulas for gaining and losing points after the match, we would just redefine what winning and losing is. Under this new system, we would use the new formula that calculates player performance to create a single number for each player after the match, then the ELO system counts the 5 players with the highest "performance score" as being the "winners" and the bottom 5 are the "losers", and points are then gained or lost as normal. This would help to correct overinflated scores from people being carried, as well as DC's, smurfing and trolling, since your elo gains or losses are based on your own performance, and not whether you were lucky enough to get a decent team.

The current system has very little to do with correctly assessing player skill since ELO rating was originally designed to only work in games that are 1v1, like chess. When used in a team based game, it is effectively just giving each player a rating that represents their luck in getting placed with decent teammates. I mean, how many times have you lost points because you were on the losing team due to a DC or bad teammates even though you yourself did really well? Or how many times have you witnessed someone gain points for being on the winning team despite the fact that they were really bad and totally got carried? As soon as you try to make the standard ELO system work in a team environment rather than 1v1 like it was intended, it breaks down pretty fast.

TL;DR: The current system is severely flawed and relatively easy to fix, but since it is the standard, none of the companies that make MOBAs are willing to step up and fix it.

Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 799
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points Veteran
    Also, @OP: I feel your pain, and your friends pain.

I have had no less that 15 different serious hardcore gamer friends refuse to play more than a dozen or so games of smite simply because the matchmaking is sooooo bad. I can't blame them, or your friends, for feeling that this is unacceptable. And honestly, I feel it is unacceptable as well, but since I've already sunk so much time and money into smite, i just dont feel like i can up and leave.

So I stay in the hopes that HiRez will pull their heads out of the sand and step up and become the innovators of the change that the MOBA industry sorely needs right now.

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Voydangel View Post
    Also, @OP: I feel your pain, and your friends pain.

I have had no less that 15 different serious hardcore gamer friends refuse to play more than a dozen or so games of smite simply because the matchmaking is sooooo bad. I can't blame them, or your friends, for feeling that this is unacceptable. And honestly, I feel it is unacceptable as well, but since I've already sunk so much time and money into smite, i just dont feel like i can up and leave.

So I stay in the hopes that HiRez will pull their heads out of the sand and step up and become the innovators of the change that the MOBA industry sorely needs right now.
    I just can't understand how they don't see this! Surely our opponents had dozens more games if not hundreds played if nothing else over my buddies.

I'm a programmer but not a game programmer/designer. It would take so very little to adjust for these type situations if nothing else throw the game so the new guys at least get in to it and want to spend money.

If new player = yes then
    .....opponents = horrible players
    .....smite = smite + $$$
    else
    .....opponents = same broken algorithm decisions
    end if

Senior Member Chosen GameVeteranAzure's Avatar
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 904
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points Veteran
    to the op...just a minor suggestion but maybe you shouldn't have gone right into versus with people who were new or out of practice.

co-op vs ai on medium might have been the better way to go...and especially not conquest...joust or arena maybe

conquest is honestly the most grueling of game modes and the least forgiving if you screw up...one mistake, no matter when can lead down the road to a game loss
    Yeah...Right...Sure...And I'm The King of England!
    If it works in your favor, don't question it.
    Sacrifices had to be made.
    He who knows nothing, doubts nothing.
    Xbox GT: AlchemistAzure
    Smite IGN: MordridtheBlack

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by GameVeteranAzure View Post
    to the op...just a minor suggestion but maybe you shouldn't have gone right into versus with people who were new or out of practice.

co-op vs ai on medium might have been the better way to go...and especially not conquest...joust or arena maybe

conquest is honestly the most grueling of game modes and the least forgiving if you screw up...one mistake, no matter when can lead down the road to a game loss
    We played clash... not conquest. Not sure where you got that but I personally hate conquest.