Thread: How do you play warrior?

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead Foxkid_8's Avatar
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 439
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points

Question How do you play warrior?

I ask mainly in the sense that I can play any other role (Mage, Assassin, Guardian, and to a lesser consistency hunter), but any game I play when the only role not taken is warrior is among the worst plays whether I try and build like I do my assassins or even throw out 1 or 2 items for a defensive item, it doesn't work and usually ends with an end score of 1-3 and 10+ (cause I tend to get jumped no matter the role most times even when playing with the flow of a team fight).

So whats the kind of style to pick up on as a warrior for someone who mostly takes favor to guardians, mages, and assassins (Sylvanus/Khepri, Scylla, and Serqet/Bastet)?

Senior Member Honoured LittlePebble02's Avatar
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 791
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Repped! Second Class 1 year registered
    It hard when building warriors mostly cause the wide span in play styles but also the fact counter building is extremly important. Depending on the warrior you wil mostly end up as a bulky jungler, a secondary support, or in the best case possible a bulwark of unstoppable might. For your gaurdian mind set Chacc and Herc is really effective as a secondary supp. For the assassin side take a look at Nike and perhaps Tyr with his blink combo. But keep in mind counter building is what will keep you alive as alot of the time 3 items will be set for defense and utility.

Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 462
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Tagger Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxkid_8 View Post
    I ask mainly in the sense that I can play any other role (Mage, Assassin, Guardian, and to a lesser consistency hunter), but any game I play when the only role not taken is warrior is among the worst plays whether I try and build like I do my assassins or even throw out 1 or 2 items for a defensive item, it doesn't work and usually ends with an end score of 1-3 and 10+ (cause I tend to get jumped no matter the role most times even when playing with the flow of a team fight).

So whats the kind of style to pick up on as a warrior for someone who mostly takes favor to guardians, mages, and assassins (Sylvanus/Khepri, Scylla, and Serqet/Bastet)?
    Depends on the warrior but they all bring something to the table that you want to take advantage of. Warriors like Amaterasu, you wanna focus on her CC-capabilities and sustainability. So cooldown reduction, defenses and movement speed to keep your passive as an ongoing presense is key in certain builds.

Hercules, you want to build defenses and health. He can become a difficult target to burn down and he has great CC if he can land his hits. You ALWAYS want to differentiate your builds and counter what your opposing team are and are building, it'll go a long way to keep you alive, like what LittlePebble02 said. Also, anything that helps compliment your team (like auras that would reduce enemy protections or increase your team's) are always awesome provided they can make use of them (like if you're Sun Wu paired with a Hun Batz or Artemis who have to be within range for an amount of time). I'll quote something I had in another thread to give you just some idea, using Ama as an example.

Quote Originally Posted by MerryEffinXmas View Post
    Regular Arena/Clash/Joust Build:

Warrior's Tabi (Penetration)
    Breastplate of Valor (Defensive+Cooldown Reduc)
    Jotunn's Wrath (Power+Penetration+Cooldown Reduc)
    Witchblade (Defensiv+Attack Speed+Enemy Debuff)
    Mantle of Discord (Passive+Defensive+Cooldown Reduc)
    Qin Sais (Power+Attack Speed) or The Executioner (Power+Attack Speed+Enemy Debuff)

Optional:

Shield of Regrowth (mostly against physical heavy teams for Defense+Cooldown Reduc+Speed boost)
    Spirit Robe (sometimes against CC heavy teams and it's decently priced)
    Titan's Bane (Penetration as a last item if the match has become an easy win or full of squishies)

My build is NOT the end all be all build but I had asked the same question when I first started maining her (nearing diamond) and I had a few diamonds answer me. Don't forget, she's a warrior. She has bruising potential but she's AMAZING at support. She can stay in lane, you WANT her ult to have as low a cooldown as possible to provide your team with constant CC and the damage with your 2+ult combo can be devastating to squishies. I've gone 15/0/26 with varying builds like the one up there because she has great sustain. You also want to make use of her stance swap as much as you can, and paired with Shield of Regrowth, the speed buff is awesome.

A good defensive Amaterasu can be an awful time for an unorganized and clueless team. But you can definitely get aggressive. You're the one to initiate combat and can get ganked but float out of it (happens so often lol). This has been my experience though.
    So yeah, you want to be aggressiv but with the TEAM in mind because lone warriors are easy targets if too far out. You can initiate or support but always try to do so with your team because you're built to keep the fight going and secure retreats with your various CC as a Warrior.

Edit: Don't forget, Warriors aren't there to be kill machines like Assassins, Mages and Hunters. I sympathize with that wholeheartedly (Scylla main) but you're going to have some negative games and it's perfectly fine. Warriors bask in the glory of victory anyway
    Last edited by MerryEffinXmas; 01-06-2017 at 01:23 AM.
    "There are a great deal of memorable chants, speeches, poems, lines and songs throughout our short time encompassing this planet. This, was not one of them." - Elfa 2006

Member Follower
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 660
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points 1 year registered

Warriors are normally versatile with the ability to be a "dps," "tank," or "Bruiser." There job is to fill a role that isn't present in the group. They cannot just be picked to fill a role someone refuses to play.

For example, despite what others have said, Hercules can be played as dps character or bruiser than a tank. In fact, his best playing style is Bruiser as it still allows him to dps while being able to take hits. A dps Hercules will have you at half health after a combo and a tank Hercules is a player who is force to tank because the other team members refuse to play one, which can be disastrous if you are not good at tanking in general.

Tyr is a Bruiser and CAN NEVER BE A TANK. He can be played as dps too, but will normally end with him getting burned very quickly if the opposing team focuses on you. His job is to bully/route people down field or away from group to make them easier to pick off.

Amaretsu is dps and bruiser, but not a tank because her body block and CC is horrible unless you Ult. She is more of a focus damage character. This also goes for Osiris and Odin.

Bellona is a Bruiser and Tank, but her dps is somewhat bad as her gameplay revolves around her taking hits and counter attacking. She is more of a "jump in the fray kind of warrior." With good support, she can be a very deadly dps.

Chaac is a survivalist tank who use his ability to create confusion and his CC allow for team member to escape or keep his fleeing opponents near. This also goes for Nike, but with a different style of gameplay than Chaac.
    Last edited by ARHicks00; 01-06-2017 at 07:26 AM.

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 389
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Conversation Starter 5000 Experience Points Repped! Second Class Veteran
    This is a hard question because warriors are very different between them and they can be pretty versatile, for example, Chaac can be built really tanky, bruiser or damage, you can build him with a lot of CDR, with attack speed, or mix both.Then we have Nike, you probably want to build her with a lot of CDR because she relies on abilities, going full damage is risky with her because she takes a lot of damage while doing her 2+1 combo, so you will probably want to build her bruiser or tank.
    I think you get my point.
    Favorite gods: Nemesis, Ne Zha, Janus, Apollo, Cabrakan, Freya, Chaac

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead Foxkid_8's Avatar
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 439
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points
    So if I'm getting this correctly, a bruiser build works best for most situations for warriors as 3 offensive and 3 defensive items along with the usual map awareness?

But for someone who doesn't play warrior for the sake of playing it, which one would be best to take in the forced option since double guardian is usually frowned upon?
    Loki, hunters, and Artio are bull s***.

Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 462
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Tagger Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    So if I'm getting this correctly, a bruiser build works best for most situations for warriors as 3 offensive and 3 defensive items along with the usual map awareness?

But for someone who doesn't play warrior for the sake of playing it, which one would be best to take in the forced option since double guardian is usually frowned upon?
    Can't go wrong with Herc/Chaac/Odin/Bellona. All 4 are probably the most versatile as they can be built as walking tanks or heavy defense bruisers and very easy to get the hang of. It comes down to preference though but they're all easy to work from. Tyr, Nike and Ama would take some practice with combos but they're also viable choices.
    "There are a great deal of memorable chants, speeches, poems, lines and songs throughout our short time encompassing this planet. This, was not one of them." - Elfa 2006

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead TamedKitsune's Avatar
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 262
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points 7 days registered

Tanky. All warriors have 4 things in common, cc, self heal or shield, a movement ability and high defence and base damage. Apart from a titans bane you don't need much in the way of extra attack, what you want is to get in, disrupt the enemy while your team deals the super high damage and still live.

Your job is to annoy the adc and the mid laner, possibly the jungler or in other modes just the hunters, assassins and mages. Hercules for example can drag gods out of position, shove them around and heal almost anything done to him while still doing respectable damage. Tyr is a nightmare, his cc is insane, his self heal just broken and he has 3 escapes/engages. Odin is a playmaker, trapping those that can't leap where your adc can blow them up. Bellona disarms enemy adc's and aa junglers while buffing everybody in an area, amatarasu brings a potent silence, a powerful stun and a walking buff.

Just ignore the tempting damage items, build tank and CDR and have a ball.