Thread: What happened to Smite?

Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 631
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered Full Profile! Tagger Third Class

Unhappy What happened to Smite?

This title is clickbaitey as all hell, but it's a genuine question i have....

I was able to play Smite all the time back in S2 and have so much fun doing it. I rarely got bored, I didn't need to play with friends constantly to even stand playing the game...and Ranked was just so much better, but what happened to Smite?

Did they release too many OP gods? Are they only caring about the pro scene and exclusive skins for their tournament? Do they not address certain obvious issues? I just...don't know, and it really saddens me. I've spent so much money on the game during S2, because everything was just so...addicting, but now...I don't know. I want to get back into playing Smite, but every time I go back and play a single game...I just get bored after that first game and get off.

I really hope Hi-Rez can find or re-make the charm that made S2 so special...because S3...was just a complete dud.

If anyone can figure out what happened to Smite that made it so...bland...I would like to know. I would really appreciate it.
    I miss S2, that's when Smite was at it's most balanced.

I only post on threads that I feel like I could add something to the conversation...most of the time.

Been playing Smite since Nov 2014; over 1264 hours in Smite, and made it to D5 in S2, so don't tell me, without any evidence, that I don't know what I'm talking about.

Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 558
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 1 year registered 1000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class
    I know rigt? You're not alone my friend.

I played ranked this season. Got to Silver on conquest (I'm pretty much stuck there). Bronze on duel (ugh, either you play a physical god or you're out, which means, no play for me, since I'm a magical kind main). And freaking Gold on joust (I can't get away from tier 4-3, everytime I have a promo, either I loe or win and lose :/)

I really miss the reworks/remodels between the god releases.. I just feel like they got too lazy to do it, or maybe they are putting too much effort into other games, which is kind of putting Smite in a lack of quality stuff..

I know they give free gems and stuff, but hey, our Saturnalias used to be 50% off EVERYTHING and this year, we got 25% only.. ON CHESTS.. :/

Super Moderator Godlike RainbowSplat's Avatar
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 198
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class Reputation Distributor Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class Full Profile!
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Quote Originally Posted by Chelsamander View Post
    I Bronze on duel (ugh, either you play a physical god or you're out, which means, no play for me, since I'm a magical kind main).
    You can play Chronos,He Bo,Freya they are top 3 best magical gods in there and since you are in Bronze you can pretty much play any Mage and climb out of there but once you get to like Plat you should only really play one of those 3 magical gods
    *Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.*

Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 267
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class 1 year registered Tagger Third Class Full Profile!
    Quote Originally Posted by LunarFrost View Post
    This title is clickbaitey as all hell, but it's a genuine question i have....

I was able to play Smite all the time back in S2 and have so much fun doing it. I rarely got bored, I didn't need to play with friends constantly to even stand playing the game...and Ranked was just so much better, but what happened to Smite?

Did they release too many OP gods? Are they only caring about the pro scene and exclusive skins for their tournament? Do they not address certain obvious issues? I just...don't know, and it really saddens me. I've spent so much money on the game during S2, because everything was just so...addicting, but now...I don't know. I want to get back into playing Smite, but every time I go back and play a single game...I just get bored after that first game and get off.

I really hope Hi-Rez can find or re-make the charm that made S2 so special...because S3...was just a complete dud.

If anyone can figure out what happened to Smite that made it so...bland...I would like to know. I would really appreciate it.
    Season 3 was way too boring and I know a lot of people that stopped playing or played less because of it. Let's hope that season 4 will be good again like season 1 and 2.

Member Worshipper
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 809
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by LunarFrost View Post

1) Did they release too many OP gods?
    2) Are they only caring about the pro scene and exclusive skins for their tournament?
    3) Do they not address certain obvious issues? I just...don't know, and it really saddens me.
    4) I've spent so much money on the game during S2, because everything was just so...addicting.
    1) Yes. compare susano and camazotz, two assassins released relatively close to each other, but who perform so differently (mobility, CC, team presence, escape potential, etc.) and then compare them to some of the older assassins (Hun batz, bastet, bakasura).
    Which god has consistently better mobility? Susano. CC? Susano. Damage? Susano. Ease of delivering damage(telegraphing, casting time, DOT, etc.)? Susano/loki/ao kunag. Team-fight presence? Susano. Sure, some ass'es might be as good as (if not better than) susano, but is that god almost as good as him in all the above categories?

In short, newer gods are not necessarily overpowered by definition, but they are more likely to be above the average when it comes to their specific role. As more gods are added, the "average" goes up and so new gods that aren't meant to be op, will be seen that way because they are waaaay above what is considered the "average" power of a certain class.

This also works the opposite for gods that are designed to be underpowered, and by that i mean low-mobility, low hard-CC gods like ah puch, camazotz, AMC, Zhong kui, etc. These gods are designed around the perceived average of their classes in terms of hp, armour, damage, abilities, etc. but because many gods in that class aren't played because they are harder to play or simply lack certain things like penta-kill potential *cough* scylla*cough*, these "balanced" gods that get added are perceived to be underpowered despite the numbers saying that they shouldn't be.

Basically hi-rez is being raised by their own petard by looking at the numbers (exclusively?) and not looking at which gods are played more often at the various skill tiers.
    I.e. make a histogram of the gods played in tournaments and how many times that they've been selected. If you take the top 50% of those gods and design a new god based on the average of the aforementioned 50%, based on those gods your new god will be "balanced". However, because the data set you're using is inherently flawed, you've unintentionally made an overpowered god. Camazotz seems to have been designed by looking at the average of all assassins at all skill levels which is why he seems less inspiring or powerful. Susano is made for the "pro" e-peen, i mean, e-sport scene, while camazotz was made for thousands of peasants that regularly play smite.

Easy solution is to pull down the power creep bar and rebalance all the gods, but this is hi-rez we're talking about. Their response for making an overpowered item is not to revert whatever buffs were done to it but to delete the item.

Don't do it hi-rez, don't delete half the gods in the game to justify releasing overpowered gods!

I think that also covers 2). Yes, they probably only care about that because its advertising and hype, because most smite players don't actually pay (f2p and all) they don't really care about the massive pyramid of players that allow them and the pro scene to stand so tall.

3) Does it require doing something for the pro e-sports scene? No? Then put it at the bottom of the TO-DO list.

4) Bought the ultimate god pack in Q1 2013, never spent a single extra piece of real currency on smite. If smite was a better game i might have spent more money on it, but sadly, the decisions over the years have been so strongly influenced by greed and complying with the whims of hi-rez's chinese overlords that i more or less gave up on hi-rez ever doing something for integrity's sake, money, or appease some large corporate sponsor/partner.

(most of the chinese pantheon gods were redesigned because someone in china was displeased with how mythological and historic characters were represented in a video game and so employed pressure. That's also the only pantheon where that has happened. Hercules (Heracles) *is* Greek but is listed under the roman pantheon for some obscure* reason. His name and actions do appear in the roman pantheon but only because it is a copy of the greek one. It would be like moving guan yu into the japanese pantheon because he was mentioned in some japanese literature.

*I vaguely remember someone saying something along the lines of..."our western(north american) customers aren't educated nor smart enough to actually make that distinction, so instead of putting him where he really belongs and teaching people historical fact, we're going to put him in the roman pantheon because we don't have a warrior for it yet and china isn't going to pay us to fix that"
    Last edited by re1wind; 12-30-2016 at 05:18 PM.

Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 267
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class 1 year registered Tagger Third Class Full Profile!
    Quote Originally Posted by re1wind View Post
    Hercules (Heracles) *is* Greek but is listed under the roman pantheon for some obscure* reason. His name and actions do appear in the roman pantheon but only because it is a copy of the greek one. It would be like moving guan yu into the japanese pantheon because he was mentioned in some japanese literature.
    This argument doesn't make any sense since Hercules is a Roman name and it's more popular so they put him in the Roman pantheon. If they put him in the Greek pantheon then he would be called Heracles and not many people are going to like it.
    Last edited by amoretpax199; 12-30-2016 at 08:09 PM.