Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Smite Mana vs Pen Boots | Which Shoes are better for Mages, and When | With Graphs.

Junior Member Cupidhead Krorrar's Avatar
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points 1 year registered

Lightbulb Smite Mana vs Pen Boots | Which Shoes are better for Mages, and When | With Graphs.

Hi, welcome to my first post of theorycrafting in this forum .

If you are like me you may have been keeping track of the changes for mages´ shoes. You may have been wondering which to choose and which is the actual performance of each shoe and how they perform at different stages of the game. With some simple math and the help of excel I have gotten some interesting results.

This is a discussion so any doubts, suggestions or data that you may want to add is welcome, just leave a comment.

First I will show you the formulas used and a quick example, after that you can find a quick video( 4:40 min) explaining the graphs and differences, and a couple of interesting questions that I was asked on reddit after that:

These are the formulas I have used:

Damage = (100 × Unmitigated Damage)/(Protections + 100)

Actual Defense = (Protection × (1-%Reduction) - Flat Reduction) × (1-%Pen) - Flat Pen

These formulas were obtained from here:

http://smite.gamepedia.com/Attack_and_Defense

Quick example:

If you deal 200 damage vs 100 prots:

No Pen: (100200)/ (100+100)= 100 damage 10 Flat Pen: (100200)/ (100+90)= 105,26 damage

Difference: 105.26/100= 1,0526 damage difference between having 10 flat pen or none.

This is the video:

Now the comments from reddit:

1st question:What if you keep adding flat penetration items though? Flat penetration has increasing returns, so the pen boots get more valuable if stacking pen is your goal.

Answer: Yes, you are right, i dont know if i said so in the video but that is one of the points that i wanted to bring across. So if i didnt mention it thx for bringing it into the discussion.

Also, your flat penetration gets better for tanky targets after obsidian, as they will have less total prots remaining.

2nd question: So would you reccomend trading out pen boots for CDR boots late game?

Answer:
    I think that is a decision everyone must make for themselves.

What I can tell you is that some gods can benefit more from cooldowns, gods with higher cooldowns, kits with utility for the team, also it will depend on what your objective is, if you are trying to burst people or not...

Also it depends on the protections that they have built , usually squishy gods have around 50 protections( prots at lvl 20) late game , for that amount of protections flat pen is a really good stat to have. Sometimes it is hard to kill a tanky target for a mage, if you cannot get enough pen against them then cooldown would be better, usually there are enough squishy targets so i wouldnt switch them.

Cooldowns boots get better as they get more prots, specially from 200 to 300.

Let me know your thoughts
    Last edited by Krorrar; 10-19-2016 at 12:37 PM.

Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 702
    Achievements:
    3 months registered Full Profile! 1000 Experience Points
    pen boots are better. the times where you fire 1 more ability with that 10% cdr is legit never.
    you do extra dmg, specially early game and you won't feel any difference from having no cdr to having it 90% of times

Senior Member Prestigious SweetSolanaceae's Avatar
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,301
    Achievements:
    Party Person Full Profile! 10000 Experience Points 1 year registered Conversation Starter
    Pen boots results in losing a decent amount of damage.

CDR boots are maybe best when you're say Isis and always want that ult up, but how much is 10% CDR really worth?

Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 702
    Achievements:
    3 months registered Full Profile! 1000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetSolanaceae View Post
    Pen boots results in losing a decent amount of damage.

CDR boots are maybe best when you're say Isis and always want that ult up, but how much is 10% CDR really worth?
    rather nothing, since barely if at all you find yourself using that ability straight after it is off cooldown. say scylla, you use your 2 and after 9seconds you are not sure to have a situation that would require your 2 to be crucial rather than waiting that 1s. And also mention that with the extra dmg from pen boots you might not even need to throw an ability a second time, so it's a win

For me it's always damage boots for doing damage and cdr boots for utility, as it's always been

Senior Member Prestigious SweetSolanaceae's Avatar
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,301
    Achievements:
    Party Person Full Profile! 10000 Experience Points 1 year registered Conversation Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by IceQueenLaSaia View Post
    rather nothing, since barely if at all you find yourself using that ability straight after it is off cooldown. say scylla, you use your 2 and after 9seconds you are not sure to have a situation that would require your 2 to be crucial rather than waiting that 1s. And also mention that with the extra dmg from pen boots you might not even need to throw an ability a second time, so it's a win

For me it's always damage boots for doing damage and cdr boots for utility, as it's always been
    Maybe for really high base CD Gods CDR boots are better.

But really, if I buy CDR boots on Scylla I lose about 150 damage on 2, and gain literally 1 second less downtime, it seems stupid at that point to not buy Pen boots.
    "...suck the juicy bits..."

Junior Member Cupidhead Krorrar's Avatar
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Personally I like pen boots in most mages, but in janus , nox and ra for the utility it may be worth it if you get another cdr item, although I always end up with pen boots. At least now I know how much damage Im losing if I decide to go for for cd.

Lord of the Enigs Infamous Enigmatisty's Avatar
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,181
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Repped! First Class 10000 Experience Points Repped! Second Class Full Profile!
    I don't get CDR boots for anyone, except Kuku since he gets bonus power from mana. I only bother with thinking about CDR boots if I'm building Thoth, and I get 52.5 power total from CDR shoes if I build that.
    Actually back to Smite but my love for the forums isn't really the same anymore. May most likely not post god concepts again.

Since forums are dying, feel free to join the official smite forum discord where most retired members chill.

Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 583
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points Veteran
    I use CD boots on most of gods(except typical burst mages like He-bo or Scylla). Why? I like spamming skills instead of hitting little damage more also mana bonus is very nice in early game and work great with Book of Thooth.
    Last edited by ZetoPL; 10-21-2016 at 07:52 AM.
    This feeling when your team is far behind and you have no prospects for late game but for some reason players still doesnt want to surrender - MOBA Cancer.

Senior Member Honoured lextragon's Avatar
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 996
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Tagger Third Class Conversation Starter Full Profile! 1 year registered
    I buy pen boots cause I'm an ability spammer player

Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 583
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points Veteran
    I buy pen boots cause I'm an ability spammer player
    So you should buy CD boots xD
    This feeling when your team is far behind and you have no prospects for late game but for some reason players still doesnt want to surrender - MOBA Cancer.