Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Questions About Crit

New Member Cupidhead moneyshooter's Avatar
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 256
    Achievements:
    31 days registered 100 Experience Points
    hi! i see people have already answered, but i think i can clarify a bit more for you.

1. When is it viable to build crit? crit is most viable when you are afforded the luxury of having a slow power curve. let me explain in more detail. the max physical damage potential for most gods is usually crit. if that is so, why doesn't every one go crit? because almost everything matters in relation to efficiency. gold spooling, power curve, your team comp, your enemy's team comp, your exp and levels, your team strategy, etc. the reason crit is less efficient this season is because of changes from season to season. qin's sais, executioner, rage, deathbringer, soul eater, etc. all went through various iterations of changes. not only the stats, but the relative costs changed everything. qin's used to be super expensive. rage+executioner was ADC is online kill everyone time. this time, it is asi+qin's and you are good to go. i will not list every single change, but we could talk all day about how protections have changed too. as of right now, crit is just so expensive to get online vs the alternative. with just asi+qin's, you have everything you need at the start of a game: pen, lifesteal, atk speed, and 4% extra dmg per hit (minus protections of course). and by the way, more icing on the cake, not much power but you dont care because the qin's passive is making up for that in conjunction to both items having atk speed! if you did not know, there is a math formula for basically your auto attack damage (for non hit chains). simply, it is in a pure dps sense, your atk speed and power should have a certain ratio. if one is much higher in ratio to the other, the lesser one becomes a higher dps gain if you increase it. well...guess what? qin's sais breaks that formula, because of the passive going by % health. this quickly snowballs the early game argument heavily toward non-crit builds. now before you say, BUT WAIT: two crit items arent that much more expensive than asi+qin's! you have to add in the factor i just mentioned about atk speed ratio. last season, exec/rage/soul eater were super efficient. things can change tomorrow, but right now, crit is great, but getting the full benefit takes too much. depending on your game mode, by time you are built out with 2 or 3 crit items, penetration, lifesteal, and atk speed, the game might be over.

2. Why is it rare to see crit in professional games? this one is easy. again, efficiency. also, professionals usually play a tight wire game of 'who has more gold/xp.' while i miss the T screen, hirez was right...this game should not be about watching a graph all day. watch any of the old streams, you will see constant T screen studying. bennna in his 1v1 games would constantly check it every few seconds at the start of the games to influence his decisions on builds and counter strats. perhaps the most important thing: in smite, you dont have to do the MOST damage...you just have to do more than your counterpart! look at it like this. ADC vs ADC, me vs you. pretend we are both the exact same player in terms of skill, knowledge, and teammates. you build non-crit, i build crit. your more efficient use of gold at the start of the game makes me back once. you get asi+qin's online, i am still trying to build my crit items. you are already online, relatively compared to me. you kill me once. mayhem ensues. you get the point. to overcome that mathematical power curve advantage, i would have to be significantly better than you/have better teammates/better coordination/etc.

3. In a typical ADC build - Trans, boots, Asi, Qin's, Fatalis, Titan's Bane - which item would you
    replace with a crit item (or items)? replace trans. fatalis has a time and a place, but typically in team play, you need all the damage you can get, while 1v1 is a different story. final answer? trans and fatalis.

4.Which gods or goddesses do you build crit on and why? on adc: if you can choose to ignore all that i typed in answer #1, you get crit on adc who have crit buffs, dmg % buffs, and atk speed steroids. while qin's is always a good solid power spike, it does not synergize with every adc for maximum effectiveness. again, you do not need theoretical maximums, you just need to have enough to kill the other guys/gals/hermaphrodites. since this is already TLDR, might as well keep going. ne zha is just too fun with crit. his 3 crits, so might as well, because crit works with his kit, as well as mercury with his 1, and serqet with her 1. im getting sleepy, but basically look at a god's kit. not many gods have abilities that can crit. take those away, then look at how much are you going to auto attack. for non-adcs, do you know how hard it is to look all those warriors and assassins that build crit when they either a) cant get near or stick to a god b) get destroyed by the other team while they are running around and chasing a squishy? while crit is seductive for the extra damage on non adcs, you have to really take a hard look at how much you are actually hitting auto atks. most likely, the answer is going bruiser with CDR, pen, and defense. minimum effective dose!

TLDR:
    crit is huge damage potential. unfortunately smite is not about building to maximum stand still DPS (xing tian's mountain? lol?). the game is about strategy, counter building, and smashing the other person/team. crit is relatively expensive and just does not have the efficiency and quick ramp up time of other builds. this can change at any patch! so keep theorycrafting, doing the math, and learning about individual god kits to maximize performance!

ign:
    moneylefty

Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 702
    Achievements:
    3 months registered Full Profile! 1000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by LinkNightblade View Post
    Certain hunters I'll ignore crit completely, especially if they are ability based like Neith, Skadi, usually cupid and a few others. Hunters like Artemis and Rama I'll have 3 non crit items with 3 crit (works surprisingly well) Usually Trans/Bloodforge for the power spike, ninja tabi, executioner or soul eater depending if you want prot shred or sustain and movement with Deathbringer, Wind Demon and Poison Star. On Jing Wei I'll go quad crit with Warrior Tabi, Soul eater, Deathbringer, Wind Demon, Poison Star and Malice only for the fact that you can get 100% crit chance with that build and her explosive bolts active. Though if you want the extra power, you could get something else instead of poison star.

Then there is Izzy, who is the only god I will build Rage on due to how crit works with her. She needs crit to be effective in any capacity. Trans, Ninja Tabi, Executioner or Bloodforge (depends on what you want), Rage, Malice, and Poison Star. I choose Malice over deathbringer cause malice works off of your power to do extra damage vs just increasing crit damage, you'll get FAR more use and damage out of it over DB.

Certain Assassins make use of crit nicely. Serqet and Ne Zha specifically you'll always want at least 3 crit items. Usually DB, Malice and Poisoned star on Ne Zha while Serqet will take Deathbringer, Wind Demon and Poisoned Star/Malice with decent effectiveness.

Loki can take crit but he works better without it, rather he should rely on Hydra's Lament and Trans to do his damage instead of rng. Kali and Bakasura can go crit instead of on hits so they would need 2 high power items with 3 crit and fatalis, usually being Wind Demon, DB and Poison Star. Merc falls into triple crit but take something other then fatalis, he doesn't need it if you are good with him. Hun Batz can take a double crit item, otherwise straight power usually works a little bit better on him. Bastet should have double crit so she can actually do something past the early game. Arachne can do crit but she's far more effective with on hits like SCS, Exec, and Ichival since her entire kit is on hit effects pretty much. Nem can take a double crit if you are feeling saucy, same with Awilix but she does far better with straight power and Hydra's. Rat can be built either crit or ability, but the latter works FAR better on him. The rest of the assassins are pretty much ability based and should rely on straight power.
    quick thing. i had iza X on the 3 days after release and i've kept up with hotfixes and that. db is good on her if u have more than 30% crit chance cause malice dot wont stack so if u keep constantly attacking someone you're better off running db cause malice isn't giving you that much considerng u can either press 1 and have normal attacks, and that even without your 1 you throw like 9 basics on those 3sec that malice is trying to apply, making db a better pick up.
    However i'd have wind demon db and malice on her nonetheless cause it's just extremely effective

Guide Senior Cupidhead MuffinMan17's Avatar
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 694
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class 1000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class Veteran
    I just wrote up this guide a bit ago...have a chapter dedicated to some details and discussion on Qin's Sais vs. crit items. You might get something out of it:

http://www.smitefire.com/smite/guide...14522#chapter6

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead ProfoundDreams's Avatar
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 31 days registered 250 Experience Points
    I'm assuming you're talking about Conquest.

It is viable to build crit depending on the God you play. Hunter's that have inlaid crit would be good to build Deathbringer and nothing else if you're playing someone like Artemis or Jing Wei. You can also build crit on other ADCs, but you'll need two items of crit for it to be worth: Deathbringer and Wind Demon. Crit is also viable on some assassins. Serqet and Hun Batz and Ne Zha need Deathbringer. Some assassins, crit works, but be careful with this: Nemesis is pretty much the only one. Other assassins aren't worth it. Ratatoskr, Thanatos, etc... are bad crit Gods. Don't build crit on warriors and any ability based god with exception of Hun Batz and Serqet.

Actually, crit isn't rare in professional games. In the ADC position, crit is where we see it most often. Hun Batz too. Why crit isn't always the most picked item is because of the cost.

I would replace Trans. First of all, on an ADC, transcendence isn't viable, unless you play Gods like Ullr and Medusa. An ADC is supposed to be aa based because you're the one that shreds opponents and towers. That's why pros don't play Medusa, Ullr, Chiron and one or two others. Also, if you're AA based, use Executioner, not Titan's Bane. Titan's Bane is really for ability based gods.

Serqet and Hun Batz I build Deathbringer because of their passive. ADCs because some have it inlaid and with the speed of your attacks, you'll proc it often.
    Favorite Gods:
    Chang'e
    Ratatoskr
    Vulcan
    Osiris
    Awilix
    Hun Batz
    (Questions about these gods? Builds, tips, combos, mechanics? Message me and I'll help! Diamond Nemesis too, but I lost the fun in playing her, but I know pretty much everything about her.)

Love playing gods with outplay potential and the ones that require skill. :3

Panthera/NRG for the win.

Guide Senior Cupidhead MuffinMan17's Avatar
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 694
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class 1000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class Veteran
    I see a good amount of feedback here. I'll also point you to a couple of my guides...

http://www.smitefire.com/smite/guide...12069#chapter3

This is my Conquest guide (pointing you directly to the ADC section). The general builds section there might be of some use, but doesn't exactly address your question. Just thought it might be useful.

http://www.smitefire.com/smite/guide...14522#chapter6

This one was written with specific topics in mind, and the section I'm pointing you to is Qin's Sais vs. Crit. I think I cover some things there you might find helpful, as I talk about when Qin's is a good choice over crit and why, such as for the mid game power spike, build flexibility, and attack progression. Don't miss the spoiler, as it contains a good chunk of the discussion.

I also cover when you might build both Qin's AND crit. Let me know what you think!