Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Is Paladins a rip off of Overwatch?

A Tragic Product of Swedish Advertising Demigod SirKeksalot's Avatar
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 219
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Reputation Distributor 25000 Experience Points Repped! First Class Full Profile!
    Quote Originally Posted by Azilo View Post
    Take L4D multiplayer, make the special infected only have 1 player.
    L4D isn't a boss battle or a game of cat-and-mouse, and it's not 4v1. The comparison isn't really fair.
    I tell people I'm bi, but what I really mean is [B] I O N I C L E

Muh Concepts

Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,494
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class 10000 Experience Points Party Person Conversation Starter Repped! Third Class
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKeksalot View Post
    4 guys have to track down and kill 1 guy in a controlled boss battle. I've never heard of anything like this before.
    S4 league's reaper mod. This is basically a "assassination" game mod type.

Senior Member Prestigious Dmantakae's Avatar
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,032
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Repped! First Class 10000 Experience Points Full Profile! Arm of the Law!
    There have been plenty of games with a game mode/ mod in it that had the same exact thing as Evolve. The idea of 1 v all isn't new... hell even mario party did this lol.
    Ex-Smite forums Lead mod, currently Paladins forum lead mod

Goodbye Smite forums <3

Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Reputation Distributor 25000 Experience Points Repped! First Class Full Profile!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmantakae View Post
    There have been plenty of games with a game mode/ mod in it that had the same exact thing as Evolve. The idea of 1 v all isn't new... hell even mario party did this lol.
    Are they hunting games where one party progressively gets stronger throughout the game? Because if not, they're not worth comparing to Evolve.

Muh Concepts

Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class 10000 Experience Points Party Person Conversation Starter Repped! Third Class
    if not, they're not worth comparing to Evolve.
    1. That is your opinion, not fact.
    2. Doesn't matter if you get stronger, fact of the matter the basis of the mod has been done before many times so, it doesn't make evolve original in any way. Original and unique aren't interchangeable.
    3. Hell rise of nations had a mod just like that, one nation vs every nation and that one nation had massive resource income buffs, and so on. Yes, that one nation did get massively stronger over time because they had those buffs, which meant they could upgrade more and faster, and could push out more units and gather more resources a lot faster.
    No matter what planet...
    No matter what galaxy...
    They always look up in wonder.
    Some fall to their knees in worship.
    Others hide behind walls and towers.
    But the thing they do best... is beg for mercy.
    It's just... adorable.

Abandon hope all ye who reply to me!

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
    1. That is your opinion, not fact.
    2. Doesn't matter if you get stronger, fact of the matter the basis of the mod has been done before many times so, it doesn't make evolve original in any way. Original and unique aren't interchangeable.
    3. Hell rise of nations had a mod just like that, one nation vs every nation and that one nation had massive resource income buffs, and so on. Yes, that one nation did get massively stronger over time because they had those buffs, which meant they could upgrade more and faster, and could push out more units and gather more resources a lot faster.
    1. If two games have a major difference which makes playing one very different from playing the other, the comparison is moot. That's not opinion, that's common sense.
    2. You're only looking at one thing that Evolve is. How many multiplayer games consist of one team that has to evade the other team while getting stronger and turning the tables while the other team remains static? How many such games have one team with not only an asymmetrical player count, but radically different gameplay such that it's almost 2 games in one? How many are games where one team must actively search for the other as a core part of the game?
    3. That's an RTS. Comparing Rise of Nations to Evolve is like comparing Skyrim to Pokemon.

Muh Concepts

Achievements:
    1. If two games have a major difference which makes playing one very different from playing the other, the comparison is moot. That's not opinion, that's common sense.
    2. You're only looking at one thing that Evolve is. How many multiplayer games consist of one team that has to evade the other team while getting stronger and turning the tables while the other team remains static? How many such games have one team with not only an asymmetrical player count, but radically different gameplay such that it's almost 2 games in one? How many are games where one team must actively search for the other as a core part of the game?
    3. That's an RTS. Comparing Rise of Nations to Evolve is like comparing Skyrim to Pokemon.
    1. We aren't comparing a ENTIRE GAME, we are comparing A SINGULAR MODE WHICH SHARES SPECIFIC CHARACTERISTIC. Which you quite obviously ignored.
    2. If the game shares the same characteristics, regardless of the difference; those characteristics and how they are play CAN be compared to a extent.
    3. Funny thing is, I didn't compare RoN ot Evolve, I compare the way 2 modes play, you are the omne trying to turn my comparison of THE MODES into comparison of the WHOLE GAME!

The modes are the same

team A vs team B
    Team a is a group of people, Team B is s singular person but with a massive advantage power/weapons/stat wise over team A.
    Victory is achieved by Team A killing team B or Team b killing team A/surviving until time runs out if there is one.

My comparison didn't go beyond this scenario, but nice try though and it also makes your analogy moot since it doesn't work based on what we are talking about.

Edit
    What I find funny, mario party is just as far away from evolve as RoN is, but you didn't try to argue that it is a completely different type of game there.
    Last edited by Shaman; 09-20-2016 at 03:53 PM.
    No matter what planet...
    No matter what galaxy...
    They always look up in wonder.
    Some fall to their knees in worship.
    Others hide behind walls and towers.
    But the thing they do best... is beg for mercy.
    It's just... adorable.

Abandon hope all ye who reply to me!

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
    1. We aren't comparing a ENTIRE GAME, we are comparing A SINGULAR MODE WHICH SHARES SPECIFIC CHARACTERISTIC. Which you quite obviously ignored.
    2. If the game shares the same characteristics, regardless of the difference; those characteristics and how they are play CAN be compared to a extent.
    3. Funny thing is, I didn't compare RoN ot Evolve, I compare the way 2 modes play, you are the omne trying to turn my comparison of THE MODES into comparison of the WHOLE GAME!

The modes are the same

team A vs team B
    Team a is a group of people, Team B is s singular person but with a massive advantage power/weapons/stat wise over team A.
    Victory is achieved by Team A killing team B or Team b killing team A/surviving until time runs out if there is one.

My comparison didn't go beyond this scenario, but nice try though and it also makes your analogy moot since it doesn't work based on what we are talking about.
    1. You didn't make it clear that we were only comparing singular modes; especially in Evolve's case, since most of the modes it originally launched with are gone.
    2. But to make the comparison and then say that the latter game is unoriginal simply because it shares traits with the former isn't reasonable. It's like saying The Witcher ripped off The Elder Scrolls because they're both fantasy RPGs.
    3. You made it sound like you were comparing the two games. I got confused.

The modes aren't similar beyond these minor traits. In Evolve, team B starts off weaker than team A and gets progressively stronger, while team A remains static.

The comparison still works. The RoN mod and Evolve are asymmetrical multiplayer, and The Elder Scrolls and Pokemon are both RPGs with a lot of questing and adventuring where you grind to get stronger. On paper, both games sound similar, and the notion that whatever came later is unoriginal would therefore be a reasonable assumption. In practice, though, the two games are as far apart as one can imagine; especially on a mechanical level.

Muh Concepts

Senior Member Prestigious Dmantakae's Avatar
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,032
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Repped! First Class 10000 Experience Points Full Profile! Arm of the Law!
    Lol we're not saying Evolve did a terrible job at it.. we're just saying that the game mechanics aren't something new/revolutionary. Don't know why this turned into an argument over Evolve, and not OW/Paladins.
    Ex-Smite forums Lead mod, currently Paladins forum lead mod

Goodbye Smite forums <3

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmantakae View Post
    Lol we're not saying Evolve did a terrible job at it.. we're just saying that the game mechanics aren't something new/revolutionary.
    Weren't you talking about the game itself, though? The idea of what it is, even when accounting for mechanics that have already been used in other games, is certainly original. Hence the hype everyone had before the nonsense DLC scandal.

Don't know why this turned into an argument over Evolve, and not OW/Paladins.
    Because fuck you, I'm a dinosaur!
    Last edited by SirKeksalot; 09-24-2016 at 04:53 PM.

Muh Concepts