Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Advice for a new player

Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 382

Advice for a new player

So, i've been playing smite for a little over a week, and i have been doing..okay. So far, i've been enjoying Ymir due to the large chunk of health and his freeze, and also decided to try out Mercury due to what i have seen of him, as well as Hel as i like the idea of being able to switch between healing and damage whenever the situation demands.

The issue is that i feel like i'm doing okay with the characters, but i constantly feel frustrated about how i'm not sure how exactly to play the characters as well as i should, as well as improving my builds for them in general for them.

Ymir is the one who i have been working the best with, and i have been enjoying him. The issue is that i'm sturggling to find a link between damage, cooldowns for freeze and overall tankiness. It seems like i've been only able to focus on two at once, which has been frustrating me. This has led me to get a lot of assists (on average at least 20-25) while my kills are usually around half to a quarter of that. Although i do seem to usually manage to avoid dying unless i get attacked when half health or there being multiple people.

Mercury has been quite difficult for me to understand however. I've currently built him for power and movement/attack speed. And yet whenever i try to fight somebody, regardless of level i seem to get shut down easily. Made you look has been frustating to use as well, and i haven't really liked his third ability for the most part. On the other hand though, he has been incredibly fun to play.

Finally, Hel has been somebody i am starting to understand the playstyle of, at least for the light version. Currently, i have her built for magical power but i'm struggling to understand how to play her effectively, although i really do love the design of her, even if i've been struggling how to understand to get my abilities to have much of an impact.

Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 222
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 3 months registered Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points
    From what I am understanding, you are asking for how to play the three Gods that you have mentioned, Ymir, Mercury, and Hel, and what you should be building on them.

For Ymir, you have two builds; the 'Support' build, and the 'Personal' build. It is important to note that Ymir is supposed to set up kills for his team due to the CC in his kit allows him to do so, however, that isn't to say that he cannot do damage.

The 'Support' Build; Travellers Shoes > Breastplate of Valour > Bulwark of Hope/Sovereignty > Hide of the Urchin tend to be the core for support Ymirs. The final two items are situational. If your team has a lot of magical damage, pick up Voidstone. If the enemy team has a lot of AA based Gods, Hide of the Nemean Lion and Midguardian Mail tend to be good pick ups. This build is more for when you need to support your team and be able to sit in the front lines to tank some damage and get your abilities off without dying, whilst having enough CDR to use them consistently.
    The 'Personal' (I couldn't think of anything better) Ymir; Shoes of the Magi (Purple Boots) > Breastplate of Valour > Bulwark of Hope/Sovereignty > Obsidian Shard > Hide of the Urchin/Spirit Robe/Discord Robe. Once again, last item is up to you, Winged Blade isn't bad since you wont have as much mobility due to not having Travellers. This build is more aimed towards killing people yourself without as much help from your team. Obsidian Shard helps to keep your damage relevant since Guardians as a whole have high base numbers but low scaling.

Mercury is going to be hit hard with the upcoming removal of Golden Bow and Throwing Dagger, however, he will still hit as hard.
    Build; Warrior Tabi > Titans Bane > Stone Cutting Sword > Deathbringer > Wind Demon > Bloodforge. I don't play Mercury too often but since he is a squishy assassin with ability to one punch a mage or hunter, you will want to be able to work around your team to get to the enemy's back line. Alternatively, Ulting through a bunch of people allows you to set up for your team and be able to kill a handful of people if you play right.
    Mercury has an interesting passive since the more MS he has, the more damage he does, as such, remember that jumping (the cosmetic one) whilst walking wont build his passive.

As for Hel, she will not be too strong until she gets her buffs next patch, but even then, she wont be too strong since anti heal is still widely available.
    Build > Boots of the Magi (Purple Boots) > Chronos Pendant > Book of Thoth > Hide of the Urchin/Spirit Robe/Discord Robe > Obsidian Shard/Spear of Magus > Situational Item. Example of situational items that you can consider building include Rod of Asclepius, Winged Blade, Rod of the Booty (One next to Chronos Pendant, I can't remember it's name since that is what I call it whenever I buy it or talk about it), another defence item depending on the enemy team. Hel is more of a front line mage due to the nature of her kit. While Hel isn't a straightforward character, I'm sure you can understand her in time.
    In a team fight scenario, start with Light stance heal to give the team MS, switch to Dark Stance and hit them with your 2, slowing them down and stripping protections, and then dump the rest of your kit into the enemy. Her light stance 2 has a cast delay, and as such, you can use it to bait out CC such as Fenrir's Ultimate; if you cast the animation before he bites you, you can actually waste his Ultimate.

I hope this helps somewhat, if any of this is unclear, just say so and I will try to explain it better.
    Hi, I play on the Xbox version of Smite. I prefer to Jungle but I can fill pretty well.
    Gamertag: TsuToNami
    Current Diamonds: Ne Zha, Bellona, Osiris, Ravana, Xing Tian, Chaac, Ares, Tyr, Chronos, Hel, Hou Yi, Nemesis.
    "I suppose it is tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail..." 'Maslow's Hammer' - Abraham Maslow, 1966

Senior Member Chosen ShinigamiXzero's Avatar
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 919
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points
    If you playing with people you don't know people usually expect or hope you will build tanky on Ymir. And if you are getting a ton of assists then it sounds like you are setting up kills for your team which is very good. If the team already has a guardian on it you may could go with a damage version if you don't expect to be on the frontline.

Mercury is an assassin so if you want to do more killing for the team then he would be a good choice. Just remember you probably won't be able to take a hit like Ymir and if you dash in at the wrong time you probably will die.

Hel I don't know well enough.

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 560
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    I couod advise on ymir and hel, but I'm horrendous at mercury. Honestly it just sounds like you need more practice. You've been playing for a week and this game takes a LONG time to learn.

Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 535
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    If you're averagin 20 assist your Ymir is fine. Guardians aren't meant to get high kill counts your role to support teammates in getting kills and keeping them from dying.

As for Mercury I'll usually build Warriors Tabi> Stone Cutting Sword> Jotun's Wrath> Heartseeker> Bloodforge> and finally either ASI or Ichaival for attack speed. However I cannot stress enough that there are several builds that work for Mercury this just happens to be the one I've found the most success with as of late. The key to playing Mercury is isolating players on the enemy team; you'll want to target squishies who stray too far away from their teammates which you should be able to kill in a matter of seconds if you built correctly. To do this you'll rely mostly on your ult and your 3. Hit the ult they'll be momentarily stunned, then follow up with his 3 and try to keep them away from their teammates, then use your 2 for the attack and movement speed buff and keep punching away at them. Your 1 is good in a variety of situations I'll leave that up to you to figure out.

I don't use Hel, so I can't give you a lot of advice there, but I disagree with the above comment. Hel is quite strong when played correctly and is capable of being a great healer or damage dealer however she's not the type of character you want to run solo with mid-late game, you'll always want to keep a teammate by your side.
    Last edited by ChaoticP; 07-11-2016 at 12:12 AM.
    "Know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the results of a 100 battles." -Sun Tzu

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 652
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinna25. View Post
    i constantly feel frustrated about how i'm not sure how exactly to play the characters as well as i should, as well as improving my builds for them in general for them.
    Welcome! My advice would be to watch a YouTube video about the God you're working on, there are tons of them out there. Then take your idea and test it against the bots (ie, skill combos and/or items). If it works well then try it against real players in the arena. I don't play a ton of Ymir or Hel, but I play a some Mercury. He has a great passive so I usually go heavy on Movement items like Boots, Hasten, Stone Cutter, and finish with Crits. For play-style I like to Buff, Dash, then basic so I max those skills first. And yes, his 1 is pretty cruddy and his ult's hard to hit but I still like him. Good luck!

Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 382
    I would also check out some videos about the basics. Theirs alot of basic rules that can help you with any god. Biggest advice i can give is be patient. Dont force a kill. You staying alive is way more important then getting one kill. Take opportunities and dont be scared to retreat back to base for health and items. Take a look at relics, and really look at em. Relics can make the difference, they can guarentee you a kill or keep you alive, sometimes both. The basics in smite are very important. If you like u can also look up the meta gods and start with them. Meta gods are a good place to start. Their the gods that that do well in competitve and are there for a reason(every god is playable but some can overall perform more then others when you get to the specifics). Hope this helps.

P.S. its a long road to being great at this game but very much worth it. Their is alot to learn to, googles your friend. To prove this point, just to play ranked you need level 30 and at LEAST 16 mastered gods. That takes awhile, trust me . Just dont give up
    Last edited by elyk er; 07-13-2016 at 03:38 PM.

Senior Member Chosen GameVeteranAzure's Avatar
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 904
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points Veteran
    Yeah I can agree on all of this. Videos and Build Guides are always a good place to start.
    But in the long run, it comes down to how you play and what you feel comfortable with.

I can make some recommendations though.
    Ymir - Breastplate of Valor, Genji's Guard, Mantle of Discord/Hide of the Urchin, Etheral Staff, Gem of Isolation, Spear of Desolation. Shell and Thorns for Relics (Tank solution), or Frenzy and Meditation (Support solution).

Mercury - You're on your own for this one, I can't play Assassins for the life of me.

Hel - Book of Thoth, Warlock Sash, Shoes of Focus, Chronos Pendant, Rod of Tahuti, Spear of Desolation
    Yeah...Right...Sure...And I'm The King of England!
    If it works in your favor, don't question it.
    Sacrifices had to be made.
    He who knows nothing, doubts nothing.
    Xbox GT: AlchemistAzure
    Smite IGN: MordridtheBlack

Junior Member Cupidhead elyk nira's Avatar
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 348
    Also, guardian is a hard place to start. At least for me, i had the hardest time with learning guardian. For me, the easiest class to hardest is hunter, mage, assassin, warrior and then guardian

Senior Member Chosen GameVeteranAzure's Avatar
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 904
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points Veteran
    yeah mages and hunters are at a constant war to claim easiest to run gods. since they both have range it tends to be who can get their build up first, who can stay in lane longer, and who has the better build.
    Yeah...Right...Sure...And I'm The King of England!
    If it works in your favor, don't question it.
    Sacrifices had to be made.
    He who knows nothing, doubts nothing.
    Xbox GT: AlchemistAzure
    Smite IGN: MordridtheBlack