Thread: Ran, Maiden of the Sea - SMITE God/Goddess Idea

Senior Member Honoured redmist456's Avatar
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 679
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Tagger First Class! Repped! Second Class Veteran 10000 Experience Points

Ran, Maiden of the Sea - SMITE God/Goddess Idea

God Name: Ran
    Title: Maiden of the Sea
    Pantheon Norse
    Type: Magical, Ranged
    Role: Mage Burst
    Pros: High Crowd Control, High Burst Damage

art by me.

LORE:
    Of all the stories told about the monstrosities of the sea, none pale in comparison to the fair maiden, Ran. Ran, mother of the Wave Maidens, and her obsession with drowning her victims. As a giant, Ran is a primal force of nature that is both beautiful and deadly. Such is the nature of the sea. The bounty it gives and the splendor it presents rival the beauty of Asgard, yet its tumultuous storms create myriad of shipwrecks at the bottom of the sea.

A husband to Aegir, Ruler of the Sea, Ran was destined to become something more. While her husband was off being a gentleman of the court and a wise ruler of the sea, Ran took charge of more sinister roles. Her haughty nets glistened in the sea as they rush to the surface to claim Ran's next victim. To the abyss they were sent, forcefully dragged beneath the waves. Left to die as they exhaled their last breath.

Although a cruel hobby, the gods of Asgard turns a blind eye to her activities. A close alliance with the gods allowed her to continue her tempest along the coastline as thousands are dragged beneath, never to see daylight again. And when wardrums pound in the distance, ships full of brave men set sail to foreign lands. Her victim count just increased, and soon the seafloor will be littered with the decaying ships of those unfortunate to cross her path.

PASSIVE: Flood
    Using abilities leave behind puddles of water that slows enemies who walk through it while giving Ran increased HP5 and MP5. Flood lasts for 10 seconds.
    Ability: Ground
    Effect: Buff
    Slow: 20% Persisting Slow while over Flood
    HP5: +20 HP5
    MP5: +10 MP5

ABILITY 1: Undertow
    Ran summons a tentacle to grab an enemy minion or jungle monster, damaging and banishing them. Should they remain banished for the full duration, they are crushed by the tentacles to damage them once more and release them from banishment.
    Ability: Ground Target
    Effect: CC
    Initial Damage: 60/70/80/90/100 (+30% MP)
    Banish Duration: 8/10/12/14/16s
    Secondary Area Damage: 100/130/160/190/220 (+20% MP)
    Cost: 50/50/55/55/60
    Cooldown: 6s

ABILITY 2: Overthrow
    Ran sends freezing water at a target area, damaging enemies inside. Additionally, any enemy grabbed by Undertow are slammed into the target area after a two second delay, dealing damage once more.
    Effect: Damage
    Radius: 22ft
    Damage: 100/125/150/175/200 (+60% MP)
    Undertow Damage: 60/75/90/105/120 (+35% MP) per Undertow
    Cost: 75
    Cooldown: 12s

ABILITY 3: Cast the Net
    Ran casts a net forward, damaging the first enemy hit. It leaves behind an enchanted net around the target for 4 seconds, crippling and slowing her enemies while removing movement penalty for her. Flood occurs when the net disappears.
    Ability: Line
    Effect: Buff/Debuff
    Radius: 30ft
    Damage: 90/110/130/150/170 (+35% MP)
    Net Duration: 5s
    Slow: 10/12/14/16/18% Slow while in Net
    Cost: 70
    Cooldown: 14s

ULTIMATE: Wave Maiden
    Ran transforms into gushing water as she performs three leaps, damaging and knocking back enemies hit with each leap. Each leap leaves behind a puddle of Flood.
    Effect: Leap/Damage
    Radius: 22ft
    Damage: 120/150/180/210/240 (+75% MP) per Leap
    Cost: 90/90/95/95/100
    Cooldown: 80s

AUTHOR NOTES:
    Ran is a goddess that rules the seas with a firm grip and an iron fist. Sailors are her targets as she toys with their frail bodies with her magical nets and ropes. This part of her lore is reflected in the game, as she utilizes watery ropes to hold up her enemies, or send them crashing to a designated area. As such, this cruel jotun is best put in mid lane, where minion count of the enemy is the difference between a win and a lose. Although, she could also perform well in the jungle as a harrass to the enemy jungler. Imagine banishing a jungle monster as the enemy is about to kill them, ensuring you get the jungle buff while they do not.

SOME ABILITY NOTES:
    Her passive provides her with decent sustain after using an ability, creating opportunities for players to remain long in battle. The persisting slow it provides helps her control the battlefield with more ease. Combining this passive with her third ability not only will give sustain, but also a massive debuff on an already slowed enemy.

Her First Ability, Undertow, is a powerful crowd control but is onlny limited to minions or jungle monsters (excluding Fire Giant, Seige Monster, Bull Demon, Gold Harpy). The decreased amount of minions allows for easy creep control. The low cooldown ensures she is actively using this ability to her advantage.

Her Second Ability, Overthrow, is more powerful the more enemies you have Undertowed. Your typical bursty attack that defines a mage character.

Her third ability casts a wide are of debuff. While in the area, Ran cannot be slowed by basic attack penalty, backward movement penalty or sideward movement penalty. Helpful if you want to catch up to escaping enemies. Note, this is Ran's only form of mobility. She has no dash/leap apart from the ultimate. Use this wisely.

Her ultimate transforms her into a wave and she has a short amount of time between leaps to choose where she lands next. Failing to select will end the ultimate early. Use this to catch up or finish off escaping enemies. She is CC immune while leaping, but can be killed.
    Last edited by redmist456; 06-26-2016 at 09:17 AM.
    Hello Smite, I'm Dad.

MY NEW CONCEPT HUB:

REDMIST456 CONCEPT HUB

POLYNESIAN PANTHEON GOD CONCEPT THREAD

I'm also planning on starting a concept review (I'll try my best). If you want, PM me so I can review your concepts. Just a little something I want to do to become more connected to the SMITE community.

Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 479
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    This idea sounds amazing. Funny thing is I also researched this goddess with the intention of making her into an idea xD. However this idea sounds pretty solid, I love the combination between moves, it'll make smite more competitive and require more skill with said god or goddess. Love the animations by the way. Keep up the great work.

Senior Member Honoured LinkNightblade's Avatar
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 421
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points Veteran
    I'm in love with her Ult. That seems really fun to use. A question tho, What type of leap will it be considered, will it be like a Neith Leap (unable to go over walls) or a standard leap that can go over walls?

I'm mildly concerned about Undertow as well to be perfectly honest. She should be able to target enemy gods with this but at a penatly to the cooldown of the ability and a super reduced banish duration. Personally I like it how it is currently but the added effect should be considered: If she targets an enemy god or goddess, they are banished for 3 seconds however her cooldown for this ability will be increased to 10 seconds [This cooldown can be affected by CDR stats and items].

Also her Scaling seems a little low for being a burst mage. She more or less has the scaling of Chang'e right now and while it works good for her, might not work so well with Ran.

I'm also a bit confused by Cast the Net. You say its a Line ability but the description/animation indicates its a projectile or circular ground target.

At this point, I'm noticing she has no effective wave clear as well. Her 2nd ability could do it but the scaling and base stats are too low for it to do it effectively, if at all, throughout the game. To combat this, you could turn her 1 into a piercing line ability that grabs and banishes anything caught in it (while keeping the caveat I suggested earlier for hit enemy gods), it would still do the same thing but it would make her clear more effective in lane while still keeping the initial design behind the ability you put into it, and thus would allow you to keep the scaling as you have it.

Achievements:
    Full Profile! Tagger First Class! Repped! Second Class Veteran 10000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by mmoeman View Post
    This idea sounds amazing. Funny thing is I also researched this goddess with the intention of making her into an idea xD. However this idea sounds pretty solid, I love the combination between moves, it'll make smite more competitive and require more skill with said god or goddess. Love the animations by the way. Keep up the great work.
    Thanks for liking it! One can always contribute to the overall concept of the goddess. Notice the missing voicelines I have? I tried making some but I got lazy. I was hoping SMITE community might help me there. Looking forward to your Ran concept.

Quote Originally Posted by LinkNightblade View Post
    I'm in love with her Ult. That seems really fun to use. A question tho, What type of leap will it be considered, will it be like a Neith Leap (unable to go over walls) or a standard leap that can go over walls?

I'm mildly concerned about Undertow as well to be perfectly honest. She should be able to target enemy gods with this but at a penatly to the cooldown of the ability and a super reduced banish duration. Personally I like it how it is currently but the added effect should be considered: If she targets an enemy god or goddess, they are banished for 3 seconds however her cooldown for this ability will be increased to 10 seconds [This cooldown can be affected by CDR stats and items].

Also her Scaling seems a little low for being a burst mage. She more or less has the scaling of Chang'e right now and while it works good for her, might not work so well with Ran.

I'm also a bit confused by Cast the Net. You say its a Line ability but the description/animation indicates its a projectile or circular ground target.

At this point, I'm noticing she has no effective wave clear as well. Her 2nd ability could do it but the scaling and base stats are too low for it to do it effectively, if at all, throughout the game. To combat this, you could turn her 1 into a piercing line ability that grabs and banishes anything caught in it (while keeping the caveat I suggested earlier for hit enemy gods), it would still do the same thing but it would make her clear more effective in lane while still keeping the initial design behind the ability you put into it, and thus would allow you to keep the scaling as you have it.
    Ooops, my mistake. She's supposed to have high CC with potentially high burst (when used correctly). Therein lies the cons of playing her, no viable wave clear and lack of reliable mobility (dash, leap, blink) that is non-ultimate.

Her leap on the ult can pass through walls. You just have to preselect the area before completing a jump. Failing to do so ends the ability early.

I guess her wave clear would come in the form of lane control since she can limit the amount of minions an enemy has due to her First Ability. The Cooldown and CDR for the first ability is intended since it strengthens her only burst ability. I will think about adding an effect to enemy gods. Thanks for concerns

Ran's not your typical burst mage that spits out damage once in a while. Where she lacks in damage output, she has in control of zones. She is chock full of CC and has viable sustains. She even has an area slow just for using abilities, from her passive Flood. In my honest opinion, she can deal high enough damage when played correctly (meaning banishing minions 24/7). I will try to increase the scaling on her ultimate and second ability, but other than that I think she is decent enough.

Like I said, my opinion on her may change so I'll keep everyone updated on that.

EDIT: Also, sorry for the GIF on the third ability. The original idea was that she just casted an area net at her targeted location. But then I noticed that she had no skill-shot ability. They were all area targets. So I limited the third ability to a projectile ability. Problem is I already made the GIF. Instead of remaking it, I got lazy and just put it there.
    Last edited by redmist456; 06-25-2016 at 11:27 PM.
    Hello Smite, I'm Dad.

MY NEW CONCEPT HUB:

REDMIST456 CONCEPT HUB

I'm also planning on starting a concept review (I'll try my best). If you want, PM me so I can review your concepts. Just a little something I want to do to become more connected to the SMITE community.

Senior Member Chosen JustRun175's Avatar
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 232
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points
    This is the second concept I've seen for this particular god. Watch if a lot pop up she'll be seen in the data mining. Here's some hope for Ran the maiden of the sea.

To the OP, I love this concept The other one I saw not too long ago was kinda similar to hades,had same the net ability and had a greedy aspect to her. This kit makes me think of He Bo more because the ult then anything, Becoming water how could that not remind someone of He Bo (not a bad thing)

For actual feedback The scaling is low in the kit in general and the 1 should be able to grab gods.

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by JustRun175 View Post
    For actual feedback The scaling is low in the kit in general and the 1 should be able to grab gods.
    The low damage scaling was intended since her abilities have some extra juice added to them.
    >>Second Ability's damage output is augmented by the first abillity
    >>Ultimate can be repeated three times (increasing the scaling from 65% to a total 195%)

First Ability cannot grab enemy gods. If it did, I would have to change the cooldown and the duration of banishment, which will actually weaken her second ability. So I'm keeping the first ability as it is for now, though future changes may happen.

I changed the scaling of her ult from 65% to 75%

I changed the scaling of Overthrow Water Damage from 50% to 60%

I changed the scaling of Overthrow "Undertowed Enemies" from 25% to 35%
    Hello Smite, I'm Dad.

MY NEW CONCEPT HUB:

REDMIST456 CONCEPT HUB

Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 453
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! Tagger Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    I like how her two abilities interact. And this is exactly why her first ability should NOT be changed. I also agree on just keeping the first ability as is seeing as how it would be hard for OP to balance her kit in a way that doesn't affect her other abilities.

Banishing gods is Freya's thang. If Ran's banishment is limited to minions and other things not gods, I'm cool with that balance. Think about it, enemy about to kill that Mana Buff Jungle Monster, nope, you banish it. She would be such a troll in the jungle.
    CITE IMAGES AND ANY OTHER SOURCES PLEASE!!!

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaitoushin View Post
    I like how her two abilities interact. And this is exactly why her first ability should NOT be changed. I also agree on just keeping the first ability as is seeing as how it would be hard for OP to balance her kit in a way that doesn't affect her other abilities.

Banishing gods is Freya's thang. If Ran's banishment is limited to minions and other things not gods, I'm cool with that balance. Think about it, enemy about to kill that Mana Buff Jungle Monster, nope, you banish it. She would be such a troll in the jungle.
    Exactly. She uses banishment not as a way of delaying enemy gods, but as a way of increasing the damage of her 1. So I'm keeping the one as is.
    Hello Smite, I'm Dad.

MY NEW CONCEPT HUB:

REDMIST456 CONCEPT HUB