Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions on how to make crits not random

Senior Member Prestigious LuxInterior's Avatar
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,398
    Achievements:
    Party Person Repped! First Class Reputation Distributor Tagger First Class! Repped! Second Class

Suggestions on how to make crits not random

We have another thread discussing if random crits are a good thing. Most seasoned players (or at least forum veterans) are saying it isn't, as it removes a competitive aspect of the game when it puts a dice throw above the ability of players to land basics on each other. But I think, as pointed in a video linked in the original post, that crits are funny. So how about we brainstorm a bit on ways to keep crits but make them non-random?

Here are some preliminary ideas:
    1. Attack chains: as the game is now, some gods have in-build "crits" that are crits in all but name. Like Ne Zha's and some other gods last hit on their chain. Currently, it isn't considered a crit and can't be buffed by crit items (but it can still crit for outrageous damage). So how if we do the following: a) the last attack on a chain is effectively considered a crit, being affected by crit items; b) for hunters, the attack will not be performed at half of the attack speed, but full speed; c) hunters have standardized chains, all getting a crit on the third (or 4th or 5th, up to discussion) hit; d) to not make this overpowered, the chain is reset if you miss, both for hunters and other gods. You can stack your chain on anything.
    2. Ability effects: in addition to chains, some abilities can force crits, 100% chance obviously. Some ideas: a) Hou Yi on applying CC to a marked enemy; b) Jing Wei if she hits more than one enemy in her area attack; c) Anhur if he impales an enemy inside his obelisk; d) Rama on the first hit with astral arrows - this effectively make his chain crit on 1, 4, 7 see bellow; e) Artemis and Neith on rooted enemies;
    3. Item changes: a) Rage makes it so that every subsequent hit on a god after the attack chain crit is still a crit, possibly making your chains endless; but it resets if you miss or hit anything but a god; b) Malice keeps its passive, but in addition it lowers the crit threshold by one hit; c) Wind Demon keeps its passive, additionally it allows you to keep your chain for 1 additional attack if you miss (miss again and you lose it); d) Hydra's Lament guarantees a crit after a successful damage ability hit - as it's a crit, your chain starts over; e) Deathbringer is unchanged, maybe a buff since there's no crit chance anymore;
    4. Crits reset attack chains: so if you get a forced crit, you'll only crit after 3-5 more hits as, usual.
    5. Crit warning: make the hunter glow red or something when they're about to crit; a more elegant idea: make only their weapon glow.

Notice how crits would be a factor from the game start, but would be very influenced by items, so that hunters are sill late game gods. My favorite number for the standardized hunter chain is 4 - it's equivalent to Odysseus' Bow, which passive cold change to "whenever you crit".

What do you think?

EDIT 2 - unified the post with the most recent thoughts and cleared it up.

EDIT 3
    A nifty suggestion by Zecleria and MustaTimo: the first crit item makes you crit each 5th hit, the second the 4th and so on, capping at 3. This is very nice, since it allows you to add crits to warriors and assassins who don't have a natural X2 hit in their chain. It also changes things less radically, requiring hunters to buy an item to start critting.

Another idea: if you think my suggestion for Rage is too much, make it so that it only gives a certain number of bonus post-chain crits.
    Last edited by LuxInterior; 06-17-2016 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Clear ups
    Learn Smite with tough love on my #SargeSeries
    Motörheads is recruiting! Sign up here

Member Worshipper ChromosomaExtra's Avatar
    Italy, north west. A rainy place, exellent to lose time reviewing and maybe even posting.
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 521
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    You, my friend, are brilliant. Love the idea. Maybe not the same numbers but that's for HiRez
    What to say? I do various things. Review all sort of threads, message, post sometimes.

I'm always there watching you

A Tragic Product of Swedish Advertising Demigod SirKeksalot's Avatar
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 219
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Reputation Distributor 25000 Experience Points Repped! First Class Full Profile!
    Yass pliss. Conditional crits would be much-welcomed, and would solve the problem without removing them altogether. In fact, this system (which means you have to meet a requirement before critting and, thus, must work for them) could re-open the possibility for magical crits; depending on what we say magical crit items would actually do and how certain gods get nerfed/adjusted.
    I tell people I'm bi, but what I really mean is [B] I O N I C L E

Muh Concepts

Senior Member Honoured NARGH222's Avatar
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Achievements:
    3 months registered Full Profile! 1000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class
    I fail to see how this keeps a hunter with attack speed from shredding you with crit though. If anything it makes it easier for them to hit crits. What if he stacks the attack chain on your support but unleashes all his crit on you? That would effectively let him kill two people at once at an easier pace. I don't know how else to word that btw so you'll have to figure out what I mean

Achievements:
    Party Person Repped! First Class Reputation Distributor Tagger First Class! Repped! Second Class
    Quote Originally Posted by NARGH222 View Post
    I fail to see how this keeps a hunter with attack speed from shredding you with crit though. If anything it makes it easier for them to hit crits. What if he stacks the attack chain on your support but unleashes all his crit on you? That would effectively let him kill two people at once at an easier pace. I don't know how else to word that btw so you'll have to figure out what I mean
    I think you still didn't understand what is this about. It's not about making crits weak, it's about making them NOT RANDOM.

And, in your example, the hunter would need to land lots of basics in a row, which can be kited. Early game, without any items, you'd only get crits on each subsequent 3rd hit and it's still on the SAME TARGET. You can't stack on someone to crit another.

I was thinking about changing my suggestion a bit. You can stack on anything, provided it's a successful hit, but it has a cooldown. Maybe now it's the 4th or 5th hit. Every crit resets the chain (items, abilities etc affecting that). When a hunter is about to crit, he can get a red glow or something to warn his enemies.

Of course, that's all only a bunch of preliminary ideas. Now I'm thinking that Rage, for example, would make you kill the Fire Giant in no time - so the giant should should be immune to crits, or the item would only proc on gods, etc.
    Last edited by LuxInterior; 06-16-2016 at 01:40 PM.

Member Worshipper Th3ManInBlack's Avatar
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 559
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    I like the idea that after every few basic attacks you crit. This would be a cool passive to be added on a future hunter god, but as a crit mechanic it'll simply make crit even more unreliable.

The thing with playing the adc is that you have to always be aware of your positioning and auto attack range. You have to keep track of the best target inside your range in a team fight, and you almost never have the luxury of sticking to one target. When you do, it's most likely the tank.

I know it's tough relying on luck to crit, but sometimes that couple of basic attacks you get to land on a squishy will crit and be effective, even more so than a possible third one that might never happen.

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Th3ManInBlack View Post
    I like the idea that after every few basic attacks you crit. This would be a cool passive to be added on a future hunter god, but as a crit mechanic it'll simply make crit even more unreliable.

The thing with playing the adc is that you have to always be aware of your positioning and auto attack range. You have to keep track of the best target inside your range in a team fight, and you almost never have the luxury of sticking to one target. When you do, it's most likely the tank.

I know it's tough relying on luck to crit, but sometimes that couple of basic attacks you get to land on a squishy will crit and be effective, even more so than a possible third one that might never happen.
    Read the second idea, bellow the original.

Senior Member Prestigious Nalessa's Avatar
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 709
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 5000 Experience Points Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class Repped! Third Class
    Reason auto attack chain multiplier exists is to let you "crit" without proccing all the effects crits normally would (if this was changed, Geb would be even more rediculous then he is right now, so would hou yi.)
    Change that and they'd have to change tons of things from items, passives, abilities (every ability from autoattackers would have to be looked at and tweaked)

Breaks more then it fixes, so no.
    Tastes like purple.
    Drommels, drommels, drommels!

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalessa View Post
    Reason auto attack chain multiplier exists is to let you "crit" without proccing all the effects crits normally would (if this was changed, Geb would be even more rediculous then he is right now, so would hou yi.)
    Change that and they'd have to change tons of things from items, passives, abilities (every ability from autoattackers would have to be looked at and tweaked)

Breaks more then it fixes, so no.
    Read again. The end of chain is considered a crit, but you can't add a random crit on it, as it's now. Also, the chain resets if you miss. I didn't propose magical crit items, so Geb wouldn't be affected at all.
    Last edited by LuxInterior; 06-16-2016 at 05:46 PM.

Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 238
    Achievements:
    Conversation Starter 5000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class Veteran
    Afaik League of Legends has conditional crits instead of random ones since ages ago.