Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: SMITE -- Linux Support

New Member Cupidhead ShepardsLegion's Avatar
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 384

Exclamation SMITE -- Linux Support

I'm a huge fan of SMITE, i havn't played for long, but i love the game and all aspects of it. The only issue that i have; I can only play on my crap windows laptop. Iv spent a long time building a custom computer geared towardsLinux (Ubuntu to be specific) and no matter what anyone tries SMITE just wont work for any kind of Linux. I'm opening this post to get the word out there that people are really anxious to see SMITE on Linux soon. I'v done some reading and searching on the trusty interwebs and i'v found the biggest issue is the launcher for Hi-Rez. Theres no script support, nothing on Wine nothing on PlayonLinux and CrossOver by CodeWeavers only has 4 votes for SMITE (you have to buy their product to vote, and I dont use it). Iv only seen forums and posts for WineHQ and PlayOnLinux that go a little like this: "hey! does smite work on linux?" .... "No" .... "Oh ok" ..... end of forum. I'm trying to make the topic a little hotter and get the smite and linux community aware of the growing desire for this. I'm not the only one who is really really wanting SMITE to work on Linux. If you have any information regarding this topic, or if you just would like to support the idea let me know! Lets get Hi-Rez, Smite, Linux and Wine working towards this I think it would be awesome!

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead JuniperAsh's Avatar
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 237
    Please don't bold and highlight a bunch of words in red just to catch our attention, this is annoying to read. You are better of being more civil to get the attention of others.

Generally annoying thread aside, I will say what I mentioned to someone requesting an OSX port of the game:

"Generally speaking it would be nice if Mac AND Linux got more support from games, but devs deviate from doing this most of the time as it can be a pretty big risk. If they know they have a user base out there for these platforms they may be more inclined to port the game to a different platform, but they need to know if they spend the development costs on supporting the platform if they will get a return on this.

Having your friends - and yourself - express your concerns with Hi-Rez may help bring some attention to an untapped user base.
    I would say contact them through their feedback support ticket on this matter - and have your friends do so as well - but they will just tell you to post your concerns here, which means (like the all the Siege posts) numerous posts about the same thing filling the forum up, but if that's how they want to run their forum, then so be it. It's messy and tacky, but whatever, at least the more people who post their concerns should bring light to the situation and hopefully prompt them to take action. However, stating you have friends who want to play is not really a factual statement and doesn't hold well in supporting your case. I can say I have a bunch of friends who want to play Smite on Android (jokes) but this is incredibly subjective as "a bunch" is neither a solid number, nor do I have evidence that said number of friends exist.
    So like I said, contact Hi-Rez and have your friends do the same."
    In addition I would like to mention Hi-Rez does not support the performance or stability of the game running through a third party emulator. The more preferably solution to the game performing adequately would be to make a proper port. Secondly, Hi-Rez would not aid Wine or PlayonLinux as that is not their softwares. Requesting support from the developers of those softwares would be more appropriate.
    Last edited by JuniperAsh; 06-01-2014 at 11:13 PM.

Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 388
    Hello you two.

First of all ShepardsLegion thank you for your request, I really appreciate and support it! @JuniperAsh thank you for the quick(and demotivating(joking)) reply. I'm also a fan of any non 'windoof' operating system and let me tell you something: Almost ANY OS nowadays is based off of UNIX, which means, they are basically all the same. Porting is not an issue here! There are two basic reasons for that. FIRST, when it comes to compatibility of software in general it all burns down to how to support the available hardware which is basically done by drivers. And SECONDLY, is there a way to make an alternative available. In short, Hi-Rez would not have to port the software to another OS, the necessary work to make it run on other OS(s) can be done by the community itself, if wanted. All HiRez would have to do is support that action legally and by providing alternatives to their incorporated third-party-software namly DirectX. This means basically little effort and at the same time access to much more customers than before. Just my two cents.

Have a nice day!
    Boomkynz
    Last edited by Boomkynz; 06-02-2014 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Typos

Quote Originally Posted by Boomkynz View Post
    Hello you two.

First of all ShepardsLegion thank you for your request, I really appreciate and support it! @JuniperAsh thank you for the quick(and demotivating(joking)) reply. I'm also a fan of any non 'windoof' operating system and let me tell you something: Almost ANY OS nowadays is based off of UNIX, which means, they are basically all the same. Porting is not an issue here! There are two basic reasons for that. FIRST, when it comes to compatibility of software in general it all burns down to how to support the available hardware which is basically done by drivers. And SECONDLY, is there a way to make an alternative available. In short, Hi-Rez would not have to port the software to another OS, the necessary work to make it run on other OS(s) can be done by the community itself, if wanted. All HiRez would have to do is support that action legally and by providing alternatives to their incorporated third-party-software namly DirectX. This means basically little effort and at the same time access to much more customers than before. Just my two cents.

Have a nice day!
    Boomkynz
    what he said...

but you have to remember this is hi-rez were talking about... they seem to continually start amazing games which turn to complete garbage... GA was awesome and a lot of fun, then for whatever reason they changed shit and now it sucks... then they just fuckin abandon it... Tribes:Ascend, same exact thing happened... amazing game, didnt listen to the T1/T2 vets, took a series based on high skill projectile based weapons with a very steep learning curve, and tried to make it noob friendly by making the auto's do crazy damage with no bullet spread. and then they just fuckin abandon it... and Smite is slowly getting worse and worse... less and less fun... its just a matter of time before they abandon it too...

so the likely hood of them ever getting around to releasing anything for either OSX or Linux is slim to none....and the likely hood of them releasing any kind of code to the community for us to do it... haha ya they wont do that either... because its a good idea... and they seem to be allergic to good ideas...

Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,077
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Repped! Third Class 5000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    whats with the unnecessary red highlight. that makes it much harder to read.
    If you want assault to be balanced, you're playing it wrong.

You're mine now. Ymir will love you and squeeze you and call you george.

I would also like to see Linux support. I just Googled for this and found this thread. Long time Smite player, beta but never used these forums.

Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 364
    I too would like to see Linux support. Smite is probably the only game I miss from Windows.

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead Kissaki0's Avatar
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 838
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points Tagger Third Class Veteran
    Games have long been the only reason I still use Windows. I will make the switch eventually.

The only reason not to develop multi-platform (for Linux *and* Windows) is if you are using third party libraries. Smite uses the Unreal Engine.
    According to their wiki, the unreal engine can be compiled as client binaries on Linux since 4.2. I guess we will eventually see Linux support. Still, having to wait sucks.

Generally speaking, technology and development wise, Linux is far ahead of Windows. This and the commercial nature of Windows makes it a sad state that we as a community still have to ask for Linux support.
    When developing multi-platform you receive a larger user base for pretty low cost.

Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 364
    I moved to a Linux-pnly system about a year ago. I don't regret it. Sure, I occasionally miss out on a game or two, but there are so many games coming out nowadays that it doesn't bother me much.

If they want me to support them, they'll have to support me. That's all.

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 484
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 7 days registered 1000 Experience Points
    +1 for linux support