Thread: Dian Mu, Mother of Lightning - SMITE God/Goddess Idea

Senior Member Honoured redmist456's Avatar
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 679
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Tagger First Class! Repped! Second Class Veteran 10000 Experience Points

Dian Mu, Mother of Lightning - SMITE God/Goddess Idea

IN PROGRESS

God Name: Dian Mu
    Title: Mother of Lightning
    Pantheon Chinese
    Type: Magical, Ranged
    Role: Mage (Bruiser, Tanky-ish)
    Pros: High Area Damage

rough sketch of dian mu

LORE:
    Before Dian Mu, the season of the storm was filled with the constant crash of thunder in the sky. The darkness rivaled the night, and a terrible dread lingered in the air. The ceaseless storm would come and go, and those petty criminals unfortunate enough to be caught in its path would find themselves in the land of the dead the moment they awoke.

One day, on the eve before a tempest was to hit the peaceful land, a beautiful and young maiden was out in the rice fields, throwing out husks of rice to cleanse the food for her family. This tradition has long been held as commonplace amongst the peasants in China. Yet the sky came to a tumultous swirl as dark clouds, rain and thunder domineered the heavens. With swift strikes, the god Lei Gong struck the poor woman dead at the spot.

Upon witnessing the event, the Jade Emperor was furious. Shamed and filled with guilt, Lei Gong refused to perform any further duties of protecting the cities against criminals. A simple miscalculation, for he assumed that the girl was wasting her food. Now she suffers a miserable fate in the land of the dead. With guilt, he sought to right the wrong and asked the Jade Emperor for help.

The Jade Emperor lifted the girl's soul up to the sky and gave her a pair of mirrors, naming her Dian Mu, mother of lightning. With these mirrors, she reveals a flash upon the land before Lei Gong could strike any unwanted criminals. Thus the lightning came before the thunder. The two married each other and worked towards bringing peace in China.

Long has it been since the sky saw those peaceful days, and the turmoil continues. Lei Gong and Dian Mu worked constantly to balance out the world. Yet each day, the fields grow ever so dark, not even her mirrors could pierce through the shade. She descends to the Earth, ready to shine a light for her husband to smite all those who claim dominance over the land.

PASSIVE: Empyrean Mirrors
    Dian Mu passively summons mirrors around her, which interacts with her abilities. Attacking the mirrors with basic attacks creates a zap of lightning to bounce to mirrors, up to two times; damaging all enemies caught in its path.
    Ability: Summon
    Effect: Buff
    Mirror HP: 2-5 (+1 per 6 levels) basic attacks
    Radius of Ability Effect: 35ft
    Cooldown: 18-10.4s (-0.4s per level)

ABILITY 1: Arc Shot
    Dian Mu fires a beam of lightning in a line, damaging and lowering the magical protections of enemies hit. Any mirrors within range also fire a beam of lightning towards the selected area.
    Ability: Directional.Line
    Effect: Damage
    Distance: 60ft
    Damage: 120/150/180/210/240 (+40% MP) per beam
    Reduced Protection: -2/3/4/5/6/7 Magical Protection per beam[/i]
    Cost: 55/60/65/70/75
    Cooldown: 12s

ABILITY 2: Dynamic Wall
    Dian Mu summons a wide wall that slows enemies that pass through it. Additionally, enemies that pass will be marked. As long as they are marked, they will be attacked by mirrors should they come in range of it.
    Ability: Ground Target
    Effect: Mark
    Slow: : 20/25/30/35/40% for 3s
    Damage from Mirrors: 120/140/160/180/200% of Basic Attack Damage
    Mark Duration: 9s
    Cost: 65
    Cooldown: 15s

ABILITY 3: Polish
    Dian Mu reveals a flash of lightning, blinding all foes in an area around her. Additionally, any mirrors near her are restored back to full HP. After a duration, all enemies still in the area are damaged and mesmerized.
    Ability: Area
    Effect: Damage/CC
    Radius: 30ft
    Channel Duration: 2.5s
    Damage: 160/200/240/280/320 (+60% MP)
    Mesmerize: 1.5s
    Cost: 75
    Cooldown: 16s

ULTIMATE: Charged Beam
    Dian Mu summons three mirrors which, after a 1 second channel, releases energy in a beam in the direction they are facing. Enemies hit are damaged and crippled.
    Ability: Directional.Line
    Effect: Damage
    Damage: 120/180/240/300/360 (+80% MP) per beam
    Cost: 85
    Cripple Duration: 1.5/1.5/2.0/2.0/2.5s
    Cooldown:70s

VOICELINE SAMPLES:

DIRECT TAUNTS:
    Raijin: Just saying Raijin, I am the master of my husband.
    Nox: Let me shed light on your errors.
    Amaterasu: At least we agree; mirrors ARE a girl's best friend.
    Ao Kuang: The Eastern Seas is where we gather strength, Ao Kuang.
    Lei Gong: Dear, I am the light in this stormy relatioship that you caused.
    Jing Wei: We may both have been revived but a bird can never beat a storm, little girl.
    Susano: Wait till you see MY storms, petty ronin.
    Zeus: You? A god? I've seen better men in my days.

AUTHOR NOTES:
    Dian Mu is a mage that has excellent control of a zone, but requires her to be stationary within that zone to maximize her abilities. Therein lies her weakness. She has to be in one specific area at all times to get the desired damage output, making her vulnerable to ganks and making her attacks predictable.

Despite this, she can demolish an enemy team should they unwittingly enter her zone of control. She can dish out tons of damage, with the more mirrors, the more damage you can do. She is relatively tanky for a mage (not on Zhong Kui level) as she has to be able to survive the ganks on her as a result.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______
    Last edited by redmist456; 05-26-2016 at 08:19 AM.
    Hello Smite, I'm Dad.

MY NEW CONCEPT HUB:

REDMIST456 CONCEPT HUB

POLYNESIAN PANTHEON GOD CONCEPT THREAD

I'm also planning on starting a concept review (I'll try my best). If you want, PM me so I can review your concepts. Just a little something I want to do to become more connected to the SMITE community.

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 486
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Reputation Distributor 1 year registered 10000 Experience Points Repped! First Class
    Her 1 might be OP if that damage is applied from her and 3 (if she has that many at that point) mirrors separately. But overall I love this.
    NOODLE FREEDOM FIGHTER!
    Also the potato queen

And Dragon princess
    Miyo is love. Miyo is MiyoBatman. Test.

Achievements:
    Full Profile! Tagger First Class! Repped! Second Class Veteran 10000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Azilo View Post
    Her 1 might be OP if that damage is applied from her and 3 (if she has that many at that point) mirrors separately. But overall I love this.
    Thanks for liking my concept

Yeah, I did notice that it would be too OP for both early and late game. So I decided to make her more of a late game mage with focus on zone control. Will notify you of any changes that I do, as I make them.
    Hello Smite, I'm Dad.

MY NEW CONCEPT HUB:

REDMIST456 CONCEPT HUB

I'm also planning on starting a concept review (I'll try my best). If you want, PM me so I can review your concepts. Just a little something I want to do to become more connected to the SMITE community.

Member Worshipper ChromosomaExtra's Avatar
    Italy, north west. A rainy place, exellent to lose time reviewing and maybe even posting.
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 521
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Like it. Reminds me of Illaoi of Lol, even if she is more a guardian.
    What to say? I do various things. Review all sort of threads, message, post sometimes.

I'm always there watching you

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by ChromosomaExtra View Post
    Like it. Reminds me of Illaoi of Lol, even if she is more a guardian.
    Thanks. Glad you liked it. Yeah, I was inspired by Illaoi from League. Wanted to see how that kind of game play would look and feel in SMITE.

EDITS MADE: Changed the health of her Mirrors from 5 (Basic Attacks to Destroy) to 2-5 (basic attacks to destroy)[+1 per 6 levels] to allow easy counter early game. In this way, I am trying to make her more of a late game mage carry.
    Hello Smite, I'm Dad.

MY NEW CONCEPT HUB:

REDMIST456 CONCEPT HUB

Achievements:
    Casual bump. Feedback much appreciated.
    Hello Smite, I'm Dad.

MY NEW CONCEPT HUB:

REDMIST456 CONCEPT HUB

Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 453
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! Tagger Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Like ChromosomeExtra said, this kit reminds me of Illaoi except more of a mage version....

I still like it though. Although she could use some more "Polishing" :P

The damage from her Arc Shot is (when you think about it), OP. Imagine having three or more mirrors firing a beam that deals ~960 damage. That's super OP. Also, does each beam proc the decreased magic resist or is it only when you are hit by this ability? Again if the former is correct, then that is too OP.
    CITE IMAGES AND ANY OTHER SOURCES PLEASE!!!

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaitoushin View Post
    Like ChromosomeExtra said, this kit reminds me of Illaoi except more of a mage version....

I still like it though. Although she could use some more "Polishing" :P

The damage from her Arc Shot is (when you think about it), OP. Imagine having three or more mirrors firing a beam that deals ~960 damage. That's super OP. Also, does each beam proc the decreased magic resist or is it only when you are hit by this ability? Again if the former is correct, then that is too OP.
    The Arc Shot from Dian Mu is the only beam that can proc the decreased magical resistance, making it not as OP as you might think.

I'm thinking about making the mirrors do only 50% of the base damage instead of the full 100% to allow players to kill her. Then again, to get the full amount of mirrors, you need to set up in a specific location for quite a while. This is hard to do, especially with the threat of ganks due to her predictability.
    Hello Smite, I'm Dad.

MY NEW CONCEPT HUB:

REDMIST456 CONCEPT HUB

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead N3rdStar's Avatar
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 78
    Achievements:
    31 days registered 250 Experience Points
    I've been looking at your god concepts and they are all amazing. I have an idea on how do balance the mirror beam thing. Set a limit to how many mirrors you can have on the map at one time.

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by N3rdStar View Post
    I've been looking at your god concepts and they are all amazing. I have an idea on how do balance the mirror beam thing. Set a limit to how many mirrors you can have on the map at one time.
    Thanks for liking it :3

I was thinking of setting a limit to how much mirror she can have. But then balancing problems come in. If I set it too low or too high, she could easily be super useless or super op respectively. Plus, she needs mirrors for her abilities to become strong. I feel like having fragile health mirrors instead of limiting the amount of mirrors will help her better eithout having to change the mechanics of the mirrors too much.

Think Illaoi from League (my main reference). Her tentacles have no limit, but have very low health pools.
    Hello Smite, I'm Dad.

MY NEW CONCEPT HUB:

REDMIST456 CONCEPT HUB