Thread: The Morrigan, Harbinger of War

A Tragic Product of Swedish Advertising Demigod SirKeksalot's Avatar
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 219
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Reputation Distributor 25000 Experience Points Repped! First Class Full Profile!

The Morrigan, Harbinger of War

This is something I've been wanting to do for a while now ever since the idea came to me. The Morrigan is actually a triad of Celtic goddesses who were associated with fate. They were also war deities, and were believed to fly over a battlefield as a crow, rousing one army and instilling fear in the other. These three goddesses were named Badb, Macha, and Nemain.

In Smite, the Morrigan is a mage. Badb's basic attacks are the hurling of a javelin, Macha's basic attacks are the swinging of a sword (which is ranged; think the Bloodskal Blade from Skyrim), and Nemain hurls magic spells or whatever at her enemies.

LORE
    Hark--do you hear it? That crow flying overhead. Do its cries instill courage and bloodlust within you? They had better; for if they do not, then you will surely lose this fight, for the Morrigan are against you.

The Morrigan are not a single goddess, but three. Each wields great power; the power of war. It is they who decide the victors and the casualties, and it is they to whom the Celts pray for glory and victory. Badb, Macha, and Nemain are their names, and before a battle, they take the form of a crow, and fly over the battlefield. Those who they have chosen to win are filled with fury and courage, and those who have been chosen to lose are filled with terror and reluctance. The warrior's madness decides who comes out victorious, and those who are without it are felled.

Now it is the gods themselves who are going to war, and the Morrigan have made their choice. All immortals await the sensation of rage, the urge to kill, and a readiness to bleed--for if they do not, they shall fall.

PASSIVE: TRIAD OF FATE
    The player alternates between control of the three Morrigan in a mechanic similar to stance-changing. By pressing the ult key and then one of the ability keys, the player selects one of the Morrigan. They will control her until they are killed or switch out Morrigan. When switching out Morrigan, the % of the maximum health and mana the player has on one Morrigan will transfer to the other; so if I'm Badb and I'm at half health, I'll still be at half health when I switch to Macha. In addition, each Morrigan has a passive benefit--Badb has an extra 13% attack speed, Macha has 100 more base health, and Nemain has 10% extra scaling to her abilities.

Note: The individual Morrigan do not count as a stance. Using an ability as one will not enable you to use that same ability immediately afterward as another. Also, being killed as one Morrigan will not give you a chance to be revived as another.

FLAMES OF WAR
    Badb's next basic attack will detonate in an AoE and deal additional damage. (Polynomicon is only proc'd after this shot is fired.)

Macha leaps to the target location, dealing damage to enemies in the radius.

Nemain ignites the target area, and enemies will take this ability's damage over the next 3 seconds.

This ability does 60/100/140/180/220 damage with 70% scaling, costs 60/70/80/90/100 mana, and has an 18-second cooldown.

CROW FORM
    The Morrigan take the form of a crow, and fly with 40% additional movement speed for 3 seconds.

Badb fires a shot at an AoE on the ground when exiting crow form, slowing targets for 5/10/15/20/25% and dealing damage.

Macha's first basic attack after exiting crow form is a dash that stops at the first enemy she hits, dealing damage and granting her 11/12/13/14/15% damage mitigation against that god for 4 seconds.

Nemain, upon leaving crow form, deals damage in an AoE and silences targets for .5/.6/.7/.8/.9 seconds.

This ability deals 80/130/180/230/280 damage with 75% scaling, costs 90 mana, and has a 19-second cooldown.

BATTLE CRY
    Badb grants her and allies around her 10/15/20/25/30% attack speed for 3 seconds.

Macha grants her and nearby allies a shield of 10/15/20/25/30% of their maximum health for 3 seconds.

Nemain lowers the protections of nearby enemies by 5/8/11/14/17% for 3 seconds.

This ability costs 65/75/85/95/105 mana and has a 14-second cooldown.

SWITCH MORRIGAN
    The player switches which Morrigan they control.

Badb passively gains 5/9/13/17/21% scaling to her basic attacks.

Macha passively gains 5/10/15/20/25 protections.

Nemain passively gains 10/20/30/40/50 magical power.

I'll add voicelines and such later, but for now, just feel free to leave feedback about the kit.
    Last edited by SirKeksalot; 05-12-2016 at 07:10 PM.
    I tell people I'm bi, but what I really mean is [B] I O N I C L E

Muh Concepts

Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Reputation Distributor 25000 Experience Points Repped! First Class Full Profile!
    Feedback? Anyone?

Muh Concepts

Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 783
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Full Profile! Repped! Third Class Veteran
    I am confused.

Sorry, I love the idea of bringing in the Morrigan, but I am not sure if they should be a stance shifting goddess.

BUT for sake of attempting to figure this out...

Are they going to have a smaller health pool? Currently, it seems like you have the passive set up to, basically, act like a Khepri ult. Except it can occur twice... Which may be a bit much for a game like this, unless there is a trade off.

But they, also, seem to have multiple passives..

I will have to look this over when I am more awake, but it is an interesting concept. And after I sleep a bit, might be able to help map it out better..
    I Am an Eternal Nublet.
    The noobiest noob in all of nooberton!

To answer everyone.. I had never even heard of Ravana, from the Hindu pantheon, when I chose this name.... over a decade ago.

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravaana View Post
    I am confused.

Sorry, I love the idea of bringing in the Morrigan, but I am not sure if they should be a stance shifting goddess.

BUT for sake of attempting to figure this out...

Are they going to have a smaller health pool? Currently, it seems like you have the passive set up to, basically, act like a Khepri ult. Except it can occur twice... Which may be a bit much for a game like this, unless there is a trade off.

But they, also, seem to have multiple passives..

I will have to look this over when I am more awake, but it is an interesting concept. And after I sleep a bit, might be able to help map it out better..
    The Morrigan all have the same base health. The only difference in survivability is that Macha has more protections. They're each very squishy to compensate, and you have to manage them wisely. I'll elaborate and change some things so it's more clear and makes more sense.

EDIT: Macha now has extra base health because she's supposed to be the tanky one.
    Last edited by SirKeksalot; 05-12-2016 at 06:38 PM.

Muh Concepts

Achievements:
    Come on guys, I worked my ass off on this.

Muh Concepts

Member Worshipper ChromosomaExtra's Avatar
    Italy, north west. A rainy place, exellent to lose time reviewing and maybe even posting.
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 521
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Chill, my friend, I'm here!
    Bump for being a Celtic goddess, the idea is cool.
    Not much to say, if you want to be sure its balanced ask a review from cloud hammer.
    Gj, mate.

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by ChromosomaExtra View Post
    Chill, my friend, I'm here!
    Bump for being a Celtic goddess, the idea is cool.
    Not much to say, if you want to be sure its balanced ask a review from cloud hammer.
    Gj, mate.
    Dank you, good sir.

Muh Concepts