Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Guardians are fake.

Junior Member Cupidhead Deamonic222's Avatar
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Achievements:
    3 months registered 250 Experience Points
    to op so what your saying is hirez should make all the guardians either more like kepri or completely useless? could you imagine only haveing Son Wukong, Odin and Ama as the only viable supports in the game xD

Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 783
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Full Profile! Repped! Third Class Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishPotato View Post
    Smite isn't most games. Characters that you'd think fit the role of a support, I.E. Hel, Aphrodite, may work conventionally in "other games", however in Smite's gameplay and style and/or meta they don't fit. Guardians should be a force to be reckoned with. It's their intimidation and zoning potential that allows the carries to catch up towards the late game. Like others have said, guardians have the high base damage for early game, but that doesn't translate in the late game unless you're forcing damage items, whereas you're losing on on more defensive item potential for the most part.
    Something I was attempting to relay the entire time
    I Am an Eternal Nublet.
    The noobiest noob in all of nooberton!

To answer everyone.. I had never even heard of Ravana, from the Hindu pantheon, when I chose this name.... over a decade ago.

Senior Member Honoured crippler38's Avatar
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 689
    Achievements:
    Repped! Second Class Veteran 5000 Experience Points
    toooo those who say pen on geb isn't that good I'd like to point out that geb with void stone and pen shoes can pretty much 100-0 a mage all he wants with a full rotation because of the damage his ult does, with the high base damage on his 2 and some roll speed from the 1 mixed in with atuos between each ability which in total gets you at minimum 95% power scaling plus their max hp plus you can auto reset with the shield too if you want. Extra bops = more damage everyone!

Note this is of course mid game later on you shouldn't be able to 100-0 anyone with just those items, you'll need to at least get a mystical mail and sit on them a little bit if you're not going damage.
    anyone can be wrong, nobody is right all the time

if you feel angry try to not blame others over yourself, and if you must don't bother them with it they'll do worse

Everything has counter play. Except Hi Rez, plz nerf.

Senior Member Infamous Outso187's Avatar
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 239
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Full Profile! Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class Reputation Distributor
    Quote Originally Posted by crippler38 View Post
    toooo those who say pen on geb isn't that good I'd like to point out that geb with void stone and pen shoes can pretty much 100-0 a mage all he wants with a full rotation because of the damage his ult does, with the high base damage on his 2 and some roll speed from the 1 mixed in with atuos between each ability which in total gets you at minimum 95% power scaling plus their max hp plus you can auto reset with the shield too if you want. Extra bops = more damage everyone!

Note this is of course mid game later on you shouldn't be able to 100-0 anyone with just those items, you'll need to at least get a mystical mail and sit on them a little bit if you're not going damage.
    Mystical Mail? Are you serious? It was bit overpriced even when it actually gave stats. Now it's just way too expensive and doesn't provide anything except meh passive.

Senior Member Honoured crippler38's Avatar
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 689
    Achievements:
    Repped! Second Class Veteran 5000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Outso187 View Post
    Mystical Mail? Are you serious? It was bit overpriced even when it actually gave stats. Now it's just way too expensive and doesn't provide anything except meh passive.
    still does good damage and provides some tankiness you can sit on people and kill them. It's better than going that soul reaver we all secretly want when we play geb for that sweet sweet half hp burn on his ultimate but ya know. Priorities.
    anyone can be wrong, nobody is right all the time

if you feel angry try to not blame others over yourself, and if you must don't bother them with it they'll do worse

Everything has counter play. Except Hi Rez, plz nerf.

Senior Member Chosen GodlySparta's Avatar
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 1 year registered Party Person 10000 Experience Points
    I think you're getting the concept of guardian wrong. They can support the team with their massive amounts of CC. It doesn't mean they can't do damage. Although the wiki says that they don't do that much damage, they really don't without sacrificing their tankiness which makes them more support the damage rather than save your team.

They secure kills and protect their allies. They don't just protect allies. They need to have some sort of significance on the field or else they are just plain useless. They are supposed to be able to do things no matter the circumstances. That's the way with all gods. There are a few exceptions but those exceptions tend to be either never played or are not usable.

Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 822
    Achievements:
    3 months registered 5000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Orsin56 View Post
    Where did i say he has low damage? Or were you saying that Geb HAS low damage? If it was the second one, then you are really dont know what 400 + 50% of your magical power is.

Stopped reading after seeing that, but apparently you don't seem to think geb has low damage, good.

Quote Originally Posted by SirKeksalot View Post
    Because he doesn't always have total control over how much damage he does, and because his ultimate doesn't really do much without pen (which, let's be real, isn't good on Geb), he really doesn't have that much damage.
    You clearly never built geb with actual damage items.

Build him full glasscannon with poly and you'll oneshot literally anything, and you even remain tanky cause of his extreme safety by design.

Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 783
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Full Profile! Repped! Third Class Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Orsin56 View Post
    I think you guys are confusing the word "tank" and "support/guardian." There can be a squishy mage with only supportive abilities (such as buffs/heals etc.) and that would still be considered a "guardian." Anyone can go tank, however only few can go support/guardian. I may not have an accurate statement however I'm only referring that there are too many guardians with more DPS abilities than actual supportive abilities. There are too much self buffs and not enough buffs to provide for their teammates. And i am aware of the reasons for the "self buffs" so that they can sustain in fights. However that is described to be a "tank" and not a support/guardian. Honestly, there should be 1 more role in smite which is "tank" and the other to be "guardian" but that is just a loud thought.

ANYWAY ....for example, most games who has a support class contains buffs to the team, heals to the team. Now im not saying all guardians should heal, however there definitely could of been more supportive abilities that doesn't have to do with pure DPS.

All in all, I just don't think Hi Rez can make a proper Guardian without having to slap 300+ magical scaling on it. While it does fall off late game IF built pure tank, however if built damage or hybrid, ymir for example, could still solo a carry which isn't correct. No guardians should be able to kill faster than a carry with or without damage builds because that defeats the purpose of "guardian" and shows how guardians can be used for their massive ability scaling for people's own advantage.

OK..

In D&D the guardian characters have a ton of self buffs, to keep them in fights. Paladins have many things that they are immune to, self buffs and self heals. Barbarians have damage mitigation, self heals, self buffs. Warriors extra armor stats, taunts, self buffs and heals.

In WoW... It is the same thing. The Guardians (Tank role) is based on the old D&D model.

In LoL they have multiple types of support characters...
    Defensive,
    This support has many defensive bonuses, such as a shield that protects the team from taking enemy damage.
    Dedicated,
    This support has boosting spells, heals or shields, as well as control spells, but generally has very limited damage.
    And Offensive
    This support has a lot of CC and higher damages than the previous class, the aim is to eliminate potential enemy retaliations rather than absorb them. Often considered as an All-in since this support can very quickly burst a target for a kill
    Wait... Those types of support characters are based on the old D&D model too...

OK SO..
    All Guardians have their purpose. And they are based on the old D&D models of Keeping themselves IN the fight and the attention on themselves. Providing Damage, and protection to their team in each person's own unique (sort of ) way.....

They are called tanks in all genres of the game because of this D&D style set up. Where the paladin/warrior/cleric/druid/barbarian would initiate combat and then "tank" as much damage as they could. While keeping themselves in the fight, and attention of the creatures focused on them. That was, usually, called "Agro"

The Guardians in Smite are, still, based on this old model. And the majority of them fulfill their duties extremely well, if a player knows what they are doing with them then they all do.

There is, absolutely, no where in this model that states that they shouldn't be able to do damage... In reality, they NEED to be able to do a lot of damage. Even in the days of D&D the BarBar/Warrior needed to be able to burst, and sustain. As did the Pally and the others. All the Guardians had major damage dealing abilities. Without being able to smack someone in the face like a truck, the enemy would just ignore them..

Until they got hit with the warhead from the squishies in the backline....... Then.. they got deleted
    Last edited by Ravaana; 04-30-2016 at 10:56 AM.
    I Am an Eternal Nublet.
    The noobiest noob in all of nooberton!

To answer everyone.. I had never even heard of Ravana, from the Hindu pantheon, when I chose this name.... over a decade ago.